Seeking Needle Advice

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I'm looking for a new needle and have very little to go on for suggestions. I've been hearing good things about Ortofons, specifically the Ortofon OMP 5E P-Mount Phono Cartridge.What do you think? Can anyone vouch for these as a reasonably priced solid needle for general use?What does anyone else have that they like a lot?I'm looking to put in an order today, so your help is much appreciated.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think a lot of folks here use carts aimed at DJs, but Ortofon has a pretty good reputation. They make a zillion different models, so I'd have no idea where to start comparing them though. I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but if you're going cheap, the Shure M97xE is a nice listening cart, though it doesn't sparkle like some of the really high end stuff.

Oh yeah and if it's a P-Mount you know that means you can't really use it properly on a Technics 1200, right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Hi Drew.
    What are you looking to use your carts for in specific?
    I'm using Staton 505's and I've had them for the past 18 months.
    No problems over here. Then again, I don't DJ anymore, so I guess that's why there
    still serviceable.
    Ortofons are usually solid needles and I would buy them.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Oh yeah and if it's a P-Mount you know that means you can't really use it properly on a Technics 1200, right?

Is this the true?

What are you looking to use your carts for in specific?

Just playing (no fanny DJ tricks) LPs and 45s.

BTW, I'm looking to get something for less than $100.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yo dude, Ortofons are GREAT - they're what I use, but remember that they're DJ cartridges. You might not want that to listen to your prized joints with them because of they can put a little wear on your records, that is, depending on how you set the tonearm weight and whether or not you actually do back cuing and scratching on the turntable. If you get one, they're all really good, but I would go for the Ortofon Scratch OM cartridge (the pink one) which you can then mount under a standard Technics headshell. Should run you about $100 for that. I also saw this one here - the Shure 97xE is considered a great "LISTENING" cartridge. Lab specs say "particularly in the high frequency range, precise tracking ability (much lower record wear than a dj cartridge) and a flat frequency response. It also features a "dynamic stabilizer," which maintains a uniform distance between the cartridge and the record under difficult playing conditions, such as those caused by warped records, or mismatched tonearm mass. Just to be clear, the M97xE is recommended for listening or recording/sampling purposes only, it is not designed or recommended for dj use."

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    the different ortofon models do not sound THAT different and the overall quality is excellent. I use spherical Nightclub systems (yellow one). I used the blue DJ system and the standard silver/black one before. The Nightclub needles are a little pricey, but they provide excellent sound for home-listening and club use.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i cosign with the one cosmo is talking bout

look at these baller ones though
    http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/cartridges
    almost 3 grand for this one.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I use the Ortofon Electro (the white one) which is 1/2 way between the scratch and the club joints. -- The hight sound quality of the club, b/w you can scratch and mix b/w you're not a "turntablist".

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    My advice, always use clean needles. You don't want Hep C or HIV!

And don't let your demonic chihuahua shoot up with you either!