isley brothers - givin it back

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
things aint been too sweet for me in miami lately, plus its been rainin a lotthank God for this recordits not a bellagio test press or some "2 copies known to man" lp but i think it deserves to get some shine if it hasnt been talked about alreadythat fire and rain cover is my new theme songwhoever dont got it, get it

Comments

• Very good album, and the pinnacle of their "early" independant sound imho. Just wrote about it last week.

• i think it deserves to get some shine

seconded

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i think it deserves to get some shine

seconded

I nearly flipped out when my girl called the Isley Brothers the cheesiest soul band she ever heard last week. Apparenlty they play the Isleys at her job (Amoeba) but all she ever really hears from them is the stuff from the mid 70's (Who's that lady, etc.)

I feel its my duty to re-educate her on the beauty of Breother Brother Brother and Givin It Back.

• I nearly flipped out when my girl called the Isley Brothers the cheesiest soul band she ever heard last week. Apparenlty they play the Isleys at her job (Amoeba) but all she ever really hears from them is the stuff from the mid 70's (Who's that lady, etc.)

I feel its my duty to re-educate her on the beauty of Breother Brother Brother and Givin It Back.

What I want to know is...since when do you have to apologize for liking "That Lady"? That song is a stone black-rock classic (and the original sixties bossa-nova-ish version on United Artists is a killer as well). Looks like to me that if she doesn't like "That Lady," then she won't like the rest of their output, because that song is pretty representative of their 70's rock years, as is the album it came from, 3+3.

About the only difference between 3+3 and Givin' It Back is that Ernie Isley wasn't on Givin'...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    i think it deserves to get some shine

seconded

I nearly flipped out when my ex-[/b]girl called the Isley Brothers the cheesiest soul band she ever heard last week.

• I nearly flipped out when my girl called the Isley Brothers the cheesiest soul band she ever heard last week. Apparenlty they play the Isleys at her job (Amoeba) but all she ever really hears from them is the stuff from the mid 70's (Who's that lady, etc.)

What I want to know is...since when do you have to apologize for liking "That Lady"? That song is a stone black-rock classic (and the original sixties bossa-nova-ish version on United Artists is a killer as well). Looks like to me that if she doesn't like "That Lady," then she won't like the rest of their output, because that song is pretty representative of their 70's rock years, as is the album it came from, 3+3.

About the only difference between 3+3 and Givin' It Back is that Ernie Isley wasn't on Givin'...

What pickwick said. I love "That Lady", Though my lady hates when i start singing along to Isley Brothers but that's understandable.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

OHIO is