SOUTHERN BOY SELLS OUT IN NEW YORK CITY

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    the despicable institution of slavery makes the culture of Maryland have more cultural similarities shared with the South than the North.

^^Even more bullschitt regarding Southern culture^^

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Eh, debatable, but some excellent points.Border states always had this inner turmoil that would be expected of a meeting place between 2 opposing ideological viewpoints.
    1864 is one year after the Emancipation Proclamation though.

• DJ Marco buys a Roy Ayers 12" > U.S. CIVIL WAR

Forget, Hell.

• I would just like to add that Maryland is the worst state in the United States.

That is all....

Thank You

^^Even more bullschitt regarding Southern culture^^

By this statement's "logic", there is no cultural ties amongst Southern states, even the rillest ones that you listed in your "Rillness Proclamation of the Deep South." The US is grimy in general in regards to slavery, North and South, but that doesn't take away the fact that chattel slavery is a tie that bound most Southern states in "shared culture."
    If you refute this, you refute logic.
    So, by all means refute, because you never base your declarations in logic.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I normally don't even include Georgia.

If your state doesn't border the Gulf of Mexico, you'se a Yankee.

Please to explain how Florida is more in tune with "southern culture" than Georgia. thank you.

btw- there is already a term for a state that borders the gulf- it is a "coastal state"

• including counties in Louisiana and Mississippi

Just to be persnickety, Louisiana deals with "parishes" not counties. NAPOLEONIC CODE 4 LIFE.

"Country" doesn't always equate to "southern", and they share some traits.

And here Jonny was just tryna start a fun little FMU thread.

• Texas aint the south...sorry, yes lots of rednecks and uptight lameness(but so is, say, Pennsylvania)...but it is its own beast. It isnt part of anything..it isnt the south, it isnt the west, its Texas.

I find it funny Tennesse wasnt mentioned in your southern Geography lesson Harvster.

and on to the main point....M*a**o, you bought a Roy Ayers record? Man, it is just Paneer and Lamb next time 'round dude.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Someone once told me part of New Jersey was below the Mason Dixon line, which I thought helped account for Noz. Is this true?

peace

h

• Someone once told me part of New Jersey was below the Mason Dixon line, which I thought helped account for Noz. Is this true?

peace

h

The Mason-Dixon line is not a straight line and wasn't originally drafted to dermacate a separation between the North and the South. Get familiar.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Please to explain how Florida is more in tune with "southern culture" than Georgia. thank you.

You must have missed that earlier episode of the Archaic show where we learned that Georgia is, in fact, "New York South"... the chief evidence for this bold contention apparently being that I grew up there.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    For me, the South refers to anything below Plattsburg NY.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    For me, the South refers to anything below Plattsburg NY.

Ha ha. For me, the East Coast refers to anything east of Denver, CO.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

You must have missed that earlier episode of the Archaic show where we learned that Georgia is, in fact, "New York South"... the chief evidence for this bold contention apparently being that I grew up there.

Good enough for me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I would just like to add that Maryland is the worst state in the United States.

Baltimore is alright.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

You need to put a no homo behind that for you only wish that my percepton of Atlanta has anything to do with you.

And once I have more time, remind me to explain how wrong it is for people from outside the South to define the South as a uniform collection of states still bound together today by fighting against the Union in an attempt to preserve the institution of slavery some ~150 years ago.

Hey jackass, no one said that. I said the South has a shared culture linkage by being former slaveholding states.
    You fucking shmuck.

• And once I have more time, remind me to explain how wrong it is for people from outside the South to define the South as a uniform collection of states still bound together today by fighting against the Union in an attempt to preserve the institution of slavery some ~150 years ago.

Exactly - the south is more of a state of mind. The state of mind of being southern - south of anything really. Any point is both south of something and north of something; but if you "feel north" rather than "feel south", well that says a lot about a man's character right there.

• And once I have more time, remind me to explain how wrong it is for people from outside the South to define the South as a uniform collection of states still bound together today by fighting against the Union in an attempt to preserve the institution of slavery some ~150 years ago.

Exactly - the south is more of a state of mind. The state of mind of being southern - south of anything really. Any point is both south of something and north of something; but if you "feel north" rather than "feel south", well that says a lot about a man's character right there.

• I would just like to add that Maryland is the worst state in the United States.
    Baltimore is alright.

cosign! i was in MICA from '87-'91, and though i had a bit of culture shock at first being the clueless suburban yankee (and frankly the city's crime rate was pretty aggro at that point, rapes and muggings all over campus etc), i ended up really digging the city and surroundings.

being a skateboarder, we were in heaven, lots of spots all over the area, plus Lansdowne, the old Essex abandoned park, etc.

record collecting was fun there too - vinyl exchange (i think thats what it was called), music machine for the import goodies (though cars required to access), 12" dance records for the latest rap stuff, etc...

though i always felt the endless rowhouses were kinda ugly.

but the historic districts were amazing.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    hilarious.

marco also loves prog-rock dollarbin and chipped beef. i seen it in DC/Baldimore.

so damn yankee.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Friends and countrymen, I have some shocking news.

Some of you (especially HarveyCanal) are rightly suspicious of us big city folk and our designs to taint pure southern heritage. It is with a mixture of pride and remorse that I bring you this update on the unspoken (but oh so real) red state-blue state cultural civil war.

Marco Hammond bought a Roy Ayers record last night.

DEAL.

i saw this happen

• Texas aint the south...sorry, yes lots of rednecks and uptight lameness(but so is, say, Pennsylvania)...but it is its own beast. It isnt part of anything..it isnt the south, it isnt the west, its Texas.

I wholeheartedly agree and have always felt this.

I've spent some time in North Carolina, and it was then that my hunch was confirmed. THAT'S the South. Texas is just Texas--no other place like it.

• maryland= the south begins

florida= south as shit

and to anyone disrespectfellatin maryland, bite your tongue.