Drumstrut

pppppppp 261 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
So after years of only being able to practice on my steering wheel, I'm finally going to buy a drumkit tomorrow. I've got it narrowed down between the Pacific LX and that new Yamaha Tour Custom kit. I know fucking nothing about drums but have been picking up bits of information leading me to these two that are in my price range. Does anyone on here know about this stuff and which one would be the better buy? Or maybe even another kit within the $1300-$1600 price range?ight

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I personally would make the investment and not go the cheap route. This is coming for a guy who spent his whole life fantasizing about the day when I had the money and space to learn drums. I went cheap and regretted it.

Buy a maple kit! I made the mistake and went to guitar center and said "Gimme a nice starter kit!" $1200 later I had a birch Pacific kit with Sabian B8 cymbals that sounded like trash can lids. I would go back to Guitar Center and play their Maple kits and be like "my set sounds like shit compared to this!" I had gear envy big time!

I became obsessed about it and decided to look at the kits my heroes played (LUDWIGS!) Chicago era 60s-70s Superclassics can be found on eBay for a nice price and sound better than anything I have played that is new (unless you plan to play metal or fusion). The supraphonic snare is toted as the most recorded snare in music. If it is good enough for Bonham and Mitch Mitchell... good enough for me!

As for cymbals... this is where the money goes! (and don't get me started on hardware) I have a 16" Steve Gadd K Custom Session Crash' 18" Zildjian Projection'... Zildjian New Beats hihats and a Avedis Ride... I wanted so badly to like the sound of Paistes but just were not feeling them. Stay way from Sabian like the plague!

All and all you will plunk down a small fortune buidling the dream kit.. but it is worth every damn penny. It is an intense challenge, workout , and will relieve alot of frustrations... may even get you a disturbing the peace citation!