BERLIN DIGGING HELP...

pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
hello, i need some strut help. im going to Berlin in march and wanted to know of any spots i should check out whilst im there... im not so interested in new music/ hip hop stores... more the old second hand shits. especially prog rock or jazz related. and cheap. any one know of anywhwere???? thanks in advance.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it's a shame that there's no berlin soulstrutter on here. piedpiper?! are you from berlin?

i'd check pedro's and maybe ask the guys at soultrade. check the yellow pages for addresses. look for "cd's and schallplatten" or just "schallplatten".

Pedro's has many records. you should ask pedro for the records you are looking for. he always has nice prog and rock records. soultrade sells old records, but they are expensive. they can definitely tell you where to find good spots though...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    hi there,
    Let me know when you are here and maybe we can start a digging tour.

There are many spots and especially in the last year some new shops opened.
    However, Berlin is extremely good for new stuff and for electronic music, while the other stuff is not that easy to find.

Soultrade records (U8 Sch??nleinstrasse) is a nice store, but way too expensive and they mostly sell new stuff and reissues. Hardwax is only 500m from this one, so check it out as well.

hhv.de (U/S Warschauer Strasse) is the best shop for any new release and they stock old stuff as well. check out their online catalogue.

Oye records (U2 Eberswalder Strasse) is one of my personal favourites, but they also mostly have new stuff in stock.
    Other stores "station B (crap), da capo (overprized 2nd hand, but worth a try) and Franz&Josef (small 2nd hand), hiphoprecords (well, hip-hop) are just around the corner.

Honda records (? U Gneisenaustrasse) has some 2nd hand stock as well.

and now the real shit:

cover records (U/S Zoologischer Garten/ U Kurf??rstendamm) is very central and weird. They have a huge stock of vinyl and you can spend a lot of time there. A few days ago I grabbed a mint copy of the Klaus Doldinger s/t 2lp there for a very reasonable price.

Another excellent new store is FATJAZZ records (S Savignyplatz). 2nd hand only, funk, jazz soul aso. not a cheapo, but dude there is very helpful and has a very nice stock. you can ask for more there and you can ask for further stores in this area...

and as Grope already mentioned check out Pedro??s.

often people mention the fleamarkets. avoid Tiergarten fleamarket, try the fleamarket at Boxhagener Platz.

there are many other stores as well, but it depends on your time if you may check them out.

hm, well a few spots I won??t drop now, but maybe later.

@Grope: If you make it to Berlin the next time, let me know. I think you complained about Berlin in a thread a few months ago, so: Maybe we can start a tour as well. I know the crazy spots, you know the raers...

almost forgot, for reggae headz:

deeroy??s dub store (U2 Eberswalder Strasse)
    huge stock of reggae vinyl, Jamaican 7" and some electronic stuff.

and another quality store for electronic music, which stocks some second hand funk/jazz aso as well:

dig a little deeper (U8 Rosenthaler Platz)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    @Grope: If you make it to Berlin the next time, let me know. I think you complained about Berlin in a thread a few months ago, so: Maybe we can start a tour as well. I know the crazy spots, you know the raers...

yay! i don't know the rare though.

deroy's dubstore wasn't there when i tried to find it. it took me 1 hour to get there by tram... did he move?

i went to his clubnight. at the pavillion. i was hoping to attend a soul explosion night. but it wasn't on. so i got to check out deroy's club night. tasty music. a lot of smokers. and the best reggae i ever heard.

deeroy??s dub store was (at least in the last 6 years) and still is @Pappelallee 9, which is 200m from U2 Eberswalder Strasse.

ok, I??ll drop another one.

Voice of Stars (Cauerstrasse 20-21; Bus 101 or 245)
    open mo-fri 1-6 pm

this is a great place for REAL record digging. shop exists for about a year now and is completely filled with records (stepladders available). large stock of jazz, black music, rock, German stuff, OST. reasonable prices and the shop owner is a super friendly old guy.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    ok, I??ll drop another one.

Voice of Stars (Cauerstrasse 20-21; Bus 101 or 245)
    open mo-fri 1-6 pm

this is a great place for REAL record digging. shop exists for about a year now and is completely filled with records (stepladders available). large stock of jazz, black music, rock, German stuff, OST. reasonable prices and the shop owner is a super friendly old guy.

i need to sell some of my records and buy a train ticket to berlin. f*ck the deutsche bahn. they're way too expensive. i would really like to go to berlin again and go record shopping (although i can't stand the berlin hype - berlin isn't THAT nice ).