1994 - again - Republican Revolution

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I frequently post about 1993 and 1994 because I need pointersand reminders - I would like to fashion others' memories as my own.At the time I was living in a psychedelic rap shack with no TV,no newspaper subscriptions and this was B.I. - before the internest.Okay - 1994 - they "threw the bums out".Wasn't this when Newt was really on a roll?What was everybody so mad about in 1994? Things were going prettywell, right? No wars other than the ongoing covert wars. We wereramping up for the dot-com boom. This was before Bill Clampett'sindiscretions had been revealed.What was everybody so mad about?Seems like right now everybody is ready to "throw the bums out" again.

Comments

• Okay I forgot about this part - the Democrats had owned The House for
    decades and decades. Republicans wrestled power away from one-party
    ownershop. Mostly all were in the same crab bucket, talking the same
    tired bull-trap they talk today.

from Wikipedia:

The Republican Revolution[/b] refers to the triumph of Republican Party in the 1994 U.S. midterm elections, which resulted in a net gain of 54 seats in the House of Representatives, and a pickup of eight seats in the Senate; plus the defection of former Democrat, Richard Shelby of Alabama. Republicans successfully defended all thirteen Republican-held Senate seats up for election; but even more significant was the fact that the Republicans had not held the majority in the House for forty years, since the 83rd Congress (elected in 1952).

In addition, Republicans picked up a net gain of twelve governor's seats in states around the country.

Democratic President Bill Clinton would eventually concede in his January 1996 State of the Union Address, "The era of big government is over."[/b] Nonetheless, later that same year, Republicans would fail to unseat President Clinton in the national election, suggesting to some at the time that Americans were simply wary of entrusting a single party with the reins of power.[/b]

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Yeah, it only took the GOP 8 years to wreck the place. The Dems owned the shit for 40 years. Let's see...1954 to 1994 with all its challenges (Vietnam, civil rights, etc.) where probably the best years in US history.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah, it only took the GOP 8 years to wreck the place. The Dems owned the shit for 40 years. Let's see...1954 to 1994 with all its challenges (Vietnam, civil rights, etc.) where probably the best years in US history.

"Challenges". Interesting word usage.