Advice to a newbie for selling on Ebay

fountain16fountain16 93 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I've done a two real nice buys in the past couple months, including one on sunday that was all original bluenote and prestige jazz titles that I know are worth probably close to 20 grand. I've collected for over 10 years and now want to sell a lot of it off to pay off school debt and get my credit straightened out so can buy a house eventually. I've never sold anything on Ebay, so any advice on maximizing my sales would be appreciated.thanks,F16

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    sell a few pieces to build up your feedback before unloading the more expensive items. i would feel comfortable buying an expensive piece from someone with 50ish feedback at 100%. as far as listing goes, take a look at some of the bigger ebay sellers formats and see whats good. soundclips, pictures you've taken yourself, and good descriptions are what i like. i would say the feedback thing is the most important thing to do out of all of these.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    List a reasonable number of titles at once to generate interest in your auctions. If you can post sound files of unknown stuff particularly, and be as descriptive as possible (title, artist, track listing, style, ect). Pictures are absolutely essential.

But first, post a list to me and let me buy what I want before you put it up on ebay.

Nah but seriously, consider a set sale on the strut.

Set sales are a VERY GOOD LOOK.

• Nah but seriously, consider a set sale on the strut.

Set sales are a VERY GOOD LOOK.

set sale helps the board, saves you on fees and can establish you as a reputable seller before you hit the bay, as well as building clientele

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The more information the better, especially for rare & high priced items. Pictures are a must, preferably of somewhat high resolution. A short description is nice for someone who doesn't know the record. Encourage buyers to contact you with questions. Soundclips are GOLD. I've heard and experienced some bad stories having to do with overseas shipping, so try at your own risk.

Expensive collection you've got going there. Best of luck.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I hate to say it, but having low/no feedback will most likely affect the prices you get. If the stuff is really, really great you should possibly consider consigning it to someone well known.

• thanks for all that posted advice. I'm probably going to try to consign a lot of the funk 45s, soul lps and modern soul stuff with Funkyou! as he is and acquaintance of mine, and he is good friends with my buying partner.

F16