Will.I.Am = killing it?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
http://spinemagazine.com/music/october/thegame/compton.mp3The Game: ComptonI'm saying - a year ago, I would have laughed at the idea that I'd give a f--- about anything Will works on but he's had an impressive year on the production year. This new track may rely on the familiar (hello "Hard Times"!) but I can't remotely hate on this.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dude is definitely killing it on the beats but i seriously cannot listen to any of that shit because of his even worse than jazze pha adlibs. i love this kelis song he produced but i cant listen to it cos hes on the hook and its completely spoiled

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i'm even started to get a lil excited about his pop productions

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm just glad he's putting it down for the LA area.

Yeah he got a polished A&M image but dude was putting in work at the goodlife and a shit ton of other local spots before he ever got pop-friendly

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    the 'keep bouncing' beat was one of the best i heard all summer.

keep bouncing

but him rapping 'hard' with the more g'd up rappers is pretty silly. dude just needs to stick with the beats.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Will I Am BEEN ... my big wig music industry friends been tellin' me dude is a musical genius and we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. From what i have seen I do not doubt this.

• dude absolutley killed it this year. Also feeling that Timberlake track "Damn Girl" with that JC Davis loop. I'm guessing he scooped Dante & Josh's reissue from last year or so.

almost all of will's tracks use sounds that would be familiar to any hip hop listener but that said, yeah, "i can't remotely hate on" them

• dude was putting in work at the goodlife

This is debatable.

He is doing his thing though and his beats are okay.

Get that paper Wil!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Also feeling that Timberlake track "Damn Girl" with that JC Davis loop. I'm guessing he scooped Dante & Josh's reissue from last year or so.

Every beat of his that I like has been done before by someone else. What is so "Genius" about this?

What are some of his recent productions that aren't complete knock-offs of oldschool beats? Even that Fergie track is basically Afro-Rican "Give It All You Got" with a newschool kick. The only one I can think of is "Keep Bouncin'" which really isn't all that hot IMO.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Will I Am BEEN ... my big wig music industry friends been tellin' me dude is a musical genius and we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. From what i have seen I do not doubt this.

Word up. Whatever one might think about BEP, Will is a really talented dude with a remarkable work ethic.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Word up. Whatever one might think about BEP, Will is a really talented dude with a remarkable work ethic.

I fully respect he's grind.

anyone remember that story from a few months back about will purposefully not clearing samples so that monty (i think it was monty, right?) could get more yaper from a stark sample?

• i don't see what's good. Every beat I've heard from him lately I've heard before......here's the kicker.....wait........... ONLY BETTER.

Since when is flipping a sample/full song WORSE then it's been used killing it?

Yes, some of his stuff sounds better then lean with it rock with it type stuff, but for the sound he's going for it's not even as good as an average 94 beat.

and...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yes, some of his stuff sounds better then lean with it rock with it type stuff,

are you saying you don't approve of the "local black experience"?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I wouldn't hate on this but it's far from killing it. I'm mean it's just one loop with a little keyboard. I do this with my toes while I'm eating bean dip off a Stark Reality OG.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I wouldn't hate on this but it's far from killing it. I'm mean it's just one loop with a little keyboard. I do this with my toes while I'm eating bean dip off a Stark Reality OG.

people say this kind of stuff on here far too often.

Put your money where your mouthlips is; replicate the beat and post it.

I dare you

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I dare you

Can someone post the OG? I still have yet to hear it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I dare you

Day the OG beat is off of Baby Huey's LP, the track is "Hard Times"

he took the Chicago Gangsters "Gangster Boogie" for the hook and the rest sonds like it probably came off keyboards

I'll post audio for the Baby Huey if its needed.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I dare you

he took the Chicago Gangsters "Gangster Boogie" for the hook and the rest sonds like it probably came off keyboards

Oh, I misread it.. I thought you were talking about the Timberlake "Damn Girl" cut.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Day, if you heard the timberlake song you pretty much heard the OG.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

I dare you

Oh, I misread it.. I thought you were talking about the Timberlake "Damn Girl" cut.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/jcwfuv

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I dare you

w o w.

that's fucked up.

WE ALL NEED TO START GETTING PAID!

Wtf did WillIAm even DO[/b]???

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

w o w.

that's fucked up.

WE ALL NEED TO START GETTING PAID!

Wtf did WillIAm even DO[/b]???
    i hear you. All dude did was slap six loops together and called it a night.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I dare you

I don't like rap music.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I dare you

I don't like rap music.

Just tell him you already replicated it above in Thelowendtheory's post.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Tell me I'm crazy here but the synth line on "Compton" sounds a lot like an interpolation of the same Ahmad Jamal that De La used on "Stakes Is High"

Confirm/deny?

• That's what I thought as well.

My take on the "Will I beats": whether or not they're complex/original ideas...I'm certainly digging on hearing those chunky loops in r&b music on a regular basis again. Simple pleasures for me.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Tell me I'm crazy here but the synth line on "Compton" sounds a lot like an interpolation of the same Ahmad Jamal that De La used on "Stakes Is High"

I thought the same thing when I heard it...

definitly...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Some of you are confusing an ability to provoke a "Gee, this is surprisingly decent for that dude" type reaction with dude actually killing it.

You are all little dudes and know nothing about rap.

And I am especially disappointed in the one Phill.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Some of you are confusing an ability to provoke a "Gee, this is surprisingly decent for that dude" type reaction with dude actually killing it.

You are all little dudes and know nothing about rap.

And I am especially disappointed in the one Phill.

Will.I.Am > Just Blaze in 2006.

Yeah, I went there.