Dudes... LAYOFFS RULE!!! (NRR)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Thank you to my very wealthy and powerful company for telling me "you don't have to come to work anymore", meanwhile lacing me with 8 mos. worth of rent cake. A really heartfelt thank you.Now, I will proceed to "work" on some "real world moves". Contrary to the popular opinion on this board, you can work hard even when not chained to a desk all day.I will be holding my ceremonial burning of one sacrificial suit later this evening.Truth be told, I had wanted to quit for some time, but with the spectre of mass layoffs looming, I thought I'd bide my time and see if my name came up. Lucky meI'd like to thank Soulstrut for helping me ensure my bosses that I was an unproductive investment, and that they'd be much better off paying me to *not* work than paying me to not work.Yes, I'm drinking beer.Plaese to share your layoff stories! This one was horrible, people running out of the office every half hour, tears streaming... entire floors decimated... grown men sitting in their offices weeping...

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    TRAVEL.

Similarities between Paycheck & Crink growing?

Discuss

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    about 3 years ago, as my boss was writing me a check & I was getting ready to go home for the weekend, she just said, "oh, yeah, don't come back on Monday."

She was a horrible bitch though.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Us taxpayers have better things to do than entertain you while we pay for you to stay home and refresh your browser! GET A JOB DOOD!

Congratulations on Plan B becoming Plan A, so to speak.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    LECHAIM!

Welcome to the club, Jonny NoPaycheck. I'm still "unemployed" since my December layoff but it's all good - I make my own hours and rake in the cake through freelance design, DJing, and selling records. I need to get my salary weight up, but hell, I'm basically getting paid (relatively) more for doing less so it's all good. Being self-employed is cool as long as you like your boss.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    thats nice!

make sure you get your office supplies on yo... post-it notes, gluesticks, pens, reams of paper, paper clips etc... thats some shit i hate having to buy cause i know i can lift it off of work.

does this mean you can collect unemployment while youre at it? if so, that is uber nice!

-rich

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    [jealous]damn! 8 months of rent!!! [/jealous]i got 2 weeks severance when i got laid off.

i have been "working" since then, but i need to get my grind on a little harder here, i been slacking and its catching up to me.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    LECHAIM!
    such a redneck thing to say....

congratulations jonny on being a jobless brooklynite.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Why would ANYBODY cry when the job they hate gets yanked from them. Silly crying little bitches.

Throw a party, people. The nutsacks are the ones who have to stay!

Congrats J*n*y...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    congratulations dude. just stay focused and motivated because getting paid and not working makes you SUPER lazy

• HUZZAH!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    [jealous]damn! 8 months of rent!!! [/jealous]i got 2 weeks severance when i got laid off.

i have been "working" since then, but i need to get my grind on a little harder here, i been slacking and its catching up to me.

Yeah I was just telling the homie over the phone, this is where *real work* gets serious.

But you know, the severence was from me being with the firm for three years. This is not 8 months severance, it's 8 months rent... I gotta hustle for the spending cash. But coupled with a generous tax return I am pretty comfortable in the interim.

MORE NEWS AT 11 (real headz know the dealz)

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

WHINER! I got no notice, no severance, and they stole $8000+ out of my retirement account that they'd still have if I hadn't done some sleuthing. Grrr... just thinking about it make me wanna barbecue some popsicles on my ice grill.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Plaese to share your layoff stories! This one was horrible, people running out of the office every half hour, tears streaming... entire floors decimated... grown men sitting in their offices weeping...

My first layoff went something like that. It was when the entire staff of incite Video Gaming and incite PC Gaming got laid off. We were given no warning at all--though in retrospect, perhaps I could've figured it out by reading between the lines, but when they started talking about triple stock splits and make-good offers to advertisers, my eyes would glaze over.

So anyway, we come into work one Monday morning. Not just any Monday morning, the Monday of ship week, which means the final week to get the magazine done and off to the printers. So this is the week everybody really busts ass and pulls long hours to make this magazine come together. People had been working over the weekend, people came into work early, alladat. Only we're unable to log onto the computer network. Contact IS, he says it's out of his hands. Hmmmm. Then comes word that the CEO wants to meet with the entire office. This can't be good.

We all crowd into the conference room, and the CEO--this German weirdo named Torsten--tells us that we're all laid off, incite is no more, please clear out our desks and be out of the building by noon.

Needless to say, we don't take this very well. They handled this very disrespectfully (and to top it off, our severence pay was a whopping two weeks) and just dropped a bomb on everybody with no warning. The people who worked on incite.com really got fucked because they were unable to get onto the network to make copies of their site code, and the site had been taken down. They did all that work and had nothing to show for it.

Personally, I was stunned. I had never been fired or laid off or anything, so I didn't know how to take it. This job had rescued me from the hell that was Barnes & Noble, and suddenly it was gone. I got over my shock by joining everybody else in looting the fucking place. Folks were taking everything that wasn't nailed down. I swiped a Dreamcast out of the game lab (this was before the commercial release PS2 and Xbox, so Dreamcast was still kinda the hotshit system). Other people did even better, stealing the PS2 and Xbox debugs (not-for-commercial-release hardware that allowed editors to play incomplete builds of games for preview purposes). I heard somebody managed to steal the nameplate off Torsten's desk, which, if true, makes him a hero of mine.

I've got other layoff stories--three of them, to be exact, but the incite one stands out for being the first and most devastating. Yours is the kind of layoff I wouldn't mind, though, Paycheck. Severence to pay eight months of rent? Yes, plaese!

• LECHAIM!

Welcome to the club, Jonny NoPaycheck. I'm still "unemployed" since my April 2002[/b] layoff but it's all good - I make my own hours and rake in the cake through freelance design, DJing, and selling records. I need to get my salary weight up, but hell, I'm basically getting paid (relatively) so it's all good. Being self-employed is cool as long as you like your boss.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The trouble with never working a 9-5 is that you can never get laid off.

Jealous.

• i worked at this high powered music and talent management company right out of college. it was pretty smooth gig. laid back but long hours. alot of people hated it there though. i had a love/hate thing going on at the time. anyways, the week after the xmas break( oh yeah alot of entertainment companies shut down for two weeks around xmas and new years) which had been crazy cause they hooked me up with a faaaaat xmas bonus. alot of records came through my hands. so they lay me off on a thurs, completely surprised. i made off with a griiiiiiiip of shit. i worked in the new media dept, 1 first generation g4 powerbook, a g3 power book. 2 external hard drives, 1 external burner, a whole lot of office supplies and 2 weeks severence plus alot of vacation i never took. not bad. i got my current gig about a week later. still rockin the g4 powerbook.

funny thing is, about two months ago my old boss, who i am friends with asked me to come back to the same position. i considered for a second but i didn't like that i hesitated, but they still haven't filled the position. if they gave me the axe once i'm sure they would do it again.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I can't remember the last time I had a job.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    goin to fill out the unemployment papers tomorrow, then I guess I will start teaching in the fall, but between now and then it is DJing here and there and traveling. hopefully I will get unemployment, but if not, not a huge deal...glad I listened to my folks about saving $$$.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    TRAVEL.

Similarities between Paycheck & Crink growing?

Discuss

REAL HEADZ KNOW DA DEAL ALERT!!! [/b]
    I was about to say the same thing

1). Both are from Cali.
    2). Both have various alias accounts
    3). Both sell records
    4). Both have friends who post on here

NOT FOR NOTHING!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Jonny NoPaycheck.

I love this subject! It's now sink or swim time and severence are your waterwings.
    Mine were inflated for a goddamn year and I loved it!

But, my story... I walk in ready to quit the Monday after a week's vacation in the Bahamas. I walk in the door and notice that there are quite a few friendly faces abscent. Downsizing was in the air and minutes later: "Hey... How was your vacation? Really? Great! Well, some changes were made when you were gone and we need to talk. There is a slight problem..." "Slight problem" = Lump sum severance payment from them, 2 months of free health/dental care, and 1 year of 1st & 15th govt severance.

Congrats!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Showing up to the job...the warehouse LOCKED and CHAINED.

Got a call from the owner/my boss that afternoon, apologizing....filing Chapter 13 after Chapter 11 had gone badly...he dropped off our last checks personally. He was a good guy(lousy bizness man).

I heard thru the grapevine some "creditors" had a "talk" with him in the parking garage of his condo later that year and put him in the hospital.

Since then, I usually quit first. Never been with a large enuff organization to make firing/layoff profitable.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Welcome to the club! I got "laid off" in December...although it's more like my job just ceased to exist. I didn't have much of a job to begin with, but it was money. I did data entry, entering data registering people for basketball and soccer 3-on-3 tournaments my company ran. Late last year the company sold off the tournaments to some other company and thus ended my cushy little data entry job. I knew months in advance the job was ending though, so it's not like I just came in one day and they informed me I didn't have a job anymore. Still, I liked the job because I could come in when I wanted, could wear what I wanted, and as long as all the data was entered for each tournament by the time the tournament was started it was all good. I was making $9/hour just typing on a computer, which is essentially what I do when I'm at home minus the paycheck. Now I'm just spoiled because finding another job with that flexibility and that pays that much hourly is impossible.

Anyhow, welcome to the club of trying to find ways to spend your time each day. I'm not the type that's really good about spending his time wisely when left to his own devices so lately I've mostly been playing a lot of Halo and Tiger Woods 2005 on Xbox, and pretending I'm going to put records up on eBay to make some scratch. Hope your unemployment is more productive!

• Options
    about 3 years ago, as my boss was writing me a check & I was getting ready to go home for the weekend, she just said, "oh, yeah, don't come back on Monday."

Should have showed up Tuesday.

K.

• The trouble with never working a 9-5 is that you can never get laid off.

Jealous.

Oh please, academics is where it's at. A couple months in the summer, sabaticals. A friend of mine is getting 2 years sabbatical, asking for 3. The second year he's getting 80% of salary, the third would be something less...but still. got damn.

Anyway, You should try to travel for at least a month and sublet your place out. That way you'll basically travel for free. Good luck on bustin' moves in the RW.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Should have showed up Tuesday.

K.

Woo hoo! Three day weekend!

• I can't remember the last time I had a job.

Why I oughta....

The only time I was ever fired/laid off I was working my first job after dropping out of college, doing paste-up/layout at this shitty little newspaper. The company shared space with an "old time radio" museum (so you got to see pictures of Edger Bergen and Charlie McCarthy on the way to the shitter...) and was owned by the same people.
    The head graphics guy was an older dude that had retired from the magazine business in NYC and working there to make ends meet. His second in command was this semi-sleazy guy that knew the owners from hanging around the local harness racing track.
    So, old guy gets into a car accident, breaking his arm, and can't work. Sleazy guy engineers a takeover of the operation, and old-guy, me and a few other people get the axe.
    A month later I started at a big newspaper (where I still work 20 years later).
    The end....

• JP,

First, a little advice from someone who's been there.

Do not be at all surprised if a few well-earned days of lounging before making moves turns into, "Why are they showing the World Series in...holy shit, it's October!" Make the *most* of this time. If you own a video game system (PS2, Xbox, etc.), get rid of it immediately. And try to reign in your Struttin', 'cause Lord knows this place can be a timesuck (which can suck if you're not killin' time on the boss' dime).

Now...congrats! I've always maintained that jobs are like relationships: breakups are always for the best, even if you can't see that in the here and now. Luckily, you can.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I'm looking forward to being in between jobs. I never went abroad in college. I plan I not working for at least 6 months while I travel.

My next job is working on Video Game OST's for Rockstar.

• Options
    Thank you to my very wealthy and powerful company for telling me "you don't have to come to work anymore", meanwhile lacing me with 8 mos. worth of rent cake. A really heartfelt thank you.

Now, I will proceed to "work" on some "real world moves". Contrary to the popular opinion on this board, you can work hard even when not chained to a desk all day.

I will be holding my ceremonial burning of one sacrificial suit later this evening.

Truth be told, I had wanted to quit for some time, but with the spectre of mass layoffs looming, I thought I'd bide my time and see if my name came up. Lucky me

I'd like to thank Soulstrut for helping me ensure my bosses that I was an unproductive investment, and that they'd be much better off paying me to *not* work than paying me to not work.

Yes, I'm drinking beer.

Plaese to share your layoff stories! This one was horrible, people running out of the office every half hour, tears streaming... entire floors decimated... grown men sitting in their offices weeping...

#2 2005 Set Sale List

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I think if I got laid off, I'd masterbate a lot more.