Desmond Dekker appreciation post

CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I just had to bring the man up. Listening to "Israelites", "Shanty town", "Sabotage" etc, lately, and damn. That voice is just the coolest ever.Who else is a fan? - J

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I just had to bring the man up. Listening to "Israelites", "Shanty town", "Sabotage" etc, lately, and damn. That voice is just the coolest ever.

Who else is a fan?

- J

love him. the harmony vocals on israelites is killer. wish i had more stuff by him. just have a few 45s and that comp cd on rhino.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Desmond is the man, such a beautiful voice.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Seconded. I love how his voice lends a nice degree of vulnerability on some tunes.
    I'm gonna have to throw on something by him now.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Seconded. I love how his voice lends a nice degree of vulnerability on some tunes.
    I'm gonna have to throw on something by him now.

I get that same feeling every time I see his name. So dope.

Give it up for the man.

He has a bigraphy, right? Anyone read it? Even though I dig the music I know very little about the man. Anyone care to share their knowledge?

- J

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    he's the king of rocksteady! some say Alton Ellis, some say Ken Booth but it will always be the double D to B. Whatever you do...don't go see him nower days! He's still in great voice but the band and the material lack. DD goes way back to the early 60s ska era.

Bs DD top 5:
    A It Mek
    Pickney Girl
    Honor Your Mother And Father
    Unity
    Intensified

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I prop him on here all the time and I have never gotten a response.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I've always felt like Desmond Dekker is the Jamaican Otis Redding. Love, love, love his stuff.

Anyone heard his cover of Stevie's "For Once In My Life"? It's so sad and beautiful. I had it on tape about 15 years ago, but I don't know if it's on wax. Little help?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Just saw Desmond perform a few weeks ago here in NYC (with our friend Catchdubs opening), the man still has a great voice and he put on very enjoyable show. The band wasn't the rootsiest but they weren't bad IMO. Anyway, he is one of the the all-time greats without a doubt.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Hey,

I prop him on here all the time and I have never gotten a response.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

A crime has been committed. Lets let bygones be bygones and spread the love with this thread, no?

- J