Dildo Failure

mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I have had a laptop for a minute now (Macbook White 1gb Ram) and was thinking of getting Microwave. I would like to start spinning original stuff when I play out. I don't know much about the shit except everyone and thier mom says I need it. My biggest concern is reliability with it. So what are some horror stories? Anybody had thiers fail during a set?..Hook me up with the dirt.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I had mine fail once during a performance at Milk in SF, but we were running 2 laptops so nobody noticed. Other than that, never a problem. Face it though, it can happen. Just take all the precautions - and even then you're not guaranteed.

• I've had mine freeze up during performances - once at a club and once on the radio. N.A.G.L. And there was NO second laptop so of course all my vinyl purist friends (AKA non-believers) heckled. I replaced one of my RAM cards and it's been running perfectly ever since. Become friends with a couple of folks who are good with computers, especially whichever computer you end up getting.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I had mine freeze at Thom Bar last week. It Sucks, no doubt, but thats the breaks. Make sure you have the power supply and some back up music on CDs or records. It also helps to restart before every time you use it. Just like the MTA, I'm surprised it even works at all... all that info through USB??? Amazing.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Anybody had thiers fail during a set?..

twice during the same set.. i had just installed the new build and was wiling out with keyboard shortcuts. apparently the program didn't like that and crashed. good thing is, when it crashes (at least on pcs) the program locks up but the track will continue to play, that way you've got time to mix into the next track and restart without anyone noticing.. that said, it's been well behaved ever since.

• i have been using it for over 18 months and have had failures about 5% of the time or less. from my experience, the common cause for Microwave problems is: bad usb cables, corrupted mp3s, poor grounding with the turntables and dusty needles. the grounding and bad needles will cause temporary sound issues, but defective usb cables and/or bad mp3 files can shut your whole system down. regardless, its worth it and the more experience you have, the less likely you are gonna have a problem.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    THanks strut..it sounds like everyone is happy overall I was really trying to get a feel for the percentage of failure and I think this helped..

• i have been using it for over 18 months and have had failures about 5% of the time or less. from my experience, the common cause for Microwave problems is: bad usb cables, corrupted mp3s, poor grounding with the turntables and dusty needles. the grounding and bad needles will cause temporary sound issues, but defective usb cables and/or bad mp3 files can shut your whole system down. regardless, its worth it and the more experience you have, the less likely you are gonna have a problem.

Allegedly, version 1.6.2 is immune to corrupted mp3 files. So far, so good.

• Allegedly, version 1.6.2 is immune to corrupted mp3 files. So far, so good.

do you recommend switching? i still use 1.4 and heard 1.5 was causing problems for a lot of people.

• Allegedly, version 1.6.2 is immune to corrupted mp3 files. So far, so good.

do you recommend switching? i still use 1.4 and heard 1.5 was causing problems for a lot of people.

I would recommend upgrading from 1.4, definitely. With 1.5, you can record directly from vinyl, lock the playing deck, loop on the fly, etc. I love 1.6.2 so far, but I know that it hogs a little more USB resources. If you have them to spare, I suggest it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Allegedly, version 1.6.2 is immune to corrupted mp3 files. So far, so good.

I would recommend upgrading from 1.4, definitely. With 1.5, you can record directly from vinyl, lock the playing deck, loop on the fly, etc. I love 1.6.2 so far, but I know that it hogs a little more USB resources. If you have them to spare, I suggest it.

mos def. 1.4 is old news, it's all about loops.. but yeah, no crashes for me since 1.6.0

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dildo crashed on me once, but thanks to my requisite stack of ten 12s i carry in a "break in case of emergency" glass case, sh*t went undetected.

dildo did have a crazy digital freakout when my control 12s (the dildo wax) collected a bit of dust (after like 2 months of use). a definite . imaging a cd skipping except a bazillion times worse, with digital burps and hicups. needless to say i carry 2 pairs of new control 12s in my "break in case of emergency" case.

end of the day, dildo is worth every penny. and far superiour than final sh*t. the forums and constant updates alone are make the decision an no brainer. my .02

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    lock the playing deck

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Thanks

• it just means that you cannot load a track on the virtual deck that is playing... you have to stop the turntable or take the needle off the control vinyl to load a new track... if you have ever accidently loaded a song on the side that is playing you know this feature is

• I'm not drinking enough to type as fast as sonofsam.

it just means that you cannot load a track on the virtual deck that is playing... you have to stop the turntable or take the needle off the control vinyl to load a new track... if you have ever accidently loaded a song on the side that is playing you know this feature is

Aha... that is quite necessary. I've luckily never done it live, but I do it at home all the time.

• I've luckily never done it live

sounds like you might not be getting drunk enough

I've luckily never done it live

sounds like you might not be getting drunk enough

That is most definitely NOT the case

I opened up for a band last weekend in SF, but didn't know they wanted me to play in between sets. After I was done, my friends there pretty much each bought me a shot of something. I had about 20 people there to see me play so I was clearly housed. After the first band's set, they called out for the DJ on the mic. I was upstairs sloppily hitting on some girl when I heard that. I just said "oh shit!" and ran downstairs mid sloppy sentence.

That set didn't go as well as the opening one to say the least

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    it just means that you cannot load a track on the virtual deck that is playing... you have to stop the turntable or take the needle off the control vinyl to load a new track... if you have ever accidently loaded a song on the side that is playing you know this feature is

WOW! no idea that was possible.

the idiot-proof stuff is fly, but if you cant keep track of that sh*t you gotta stop drinking behind the decks.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I've had it crash a few times but as described above - the music keeps playing and you have time to play a record or two while it is restarting.

• you can record directly from vinyl

can someone explain how to do this? I have read it can be done, but I have never read a good explaination...

• if you cant keep track of that sh*t you gotta stop drinking behind the decks

fuck that... my computer stays sober so i don't have to!

nah, i had that happen to me once when i first started using it, and i learned my lesson right then... i got in the habit of stopping the turntable that i had mixed out of, so i didn't do it again... i was using absolute mode back then, too, so it just jumped to a new song like 2 minutes in... everybody looked at me funny, and i'm sure i looked just as stunned as any of them

as far as the lock ups go, i had it happen once, but i was using 1.3 on a kind of suspect compaq laptop with an external hard drive... i got a g4 ibook the next day, and i haven't had even the slightest problem since(knock on wood)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    you can record directly from vinyl

can someone explain how to do this? I have read it can be done, but I have never read a good explaination...

There's a "Record In" feature where you can select "Channel 1" "Channel 2" or "Mic.' You then send your level and press record. It records as an AIFF (I might be wrong here) and saves it in a folder in the Microwave file. The new versions record your mixes as well.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• thread jack

do the type of needles you have (shure, ortofon, etc) effect how loud the output is from Microwave?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    no, but i've heard that the m44s have a louder output that rane recommends against for seratato.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    yeah rane recommends shure m44s. they are loud for sure, but i feel it also has to do with the fact that they don't want to advertise stanton for obvious reasons.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    m447's are what i use. no problems.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i suggest saving this as a pdf and having it available throughout a set. the scope displays are definitly slept on for easy troubleshooting.

• Aha... that is quite necessary. I've luckily never done it live, but I do it at home all the time.

That reminds me of how many times I finished a track and then picked the control vinyl off the platter to then remember to put it right back on the platter.

• i suggest saving this as a pdf and having it available throughout a set. the scope displays are definitly slept on for easy troubleshooting.

How do I save a screenshot as a pdf on Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Herm