Please to be schooled on Baris Manco (turkish rr)

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
internet sux, struters rule. is much apreciated.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The only album I have ever got hold of by the super moustached gentleman is 2023 which I would heartily recommend if you're not adverse to Turkish warbling over some of the tracks.

Make sure you pick up the original and not the reish though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Poor Baris died not to long ago. He's like the Elvis of Turkey.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I prefer Edip Akbayram or Erkin Koray over Manco. Definitely check for their reissued material.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I prefer Edip Akbayram or Erkin Koray over Manco. Definitely check for their reissued material.

Agreed... and I'll take it one step further and say I prefer Ersen, Kardaslar and 3 Hurel over Edip and Erkin. Then there's the females Senay and Selda... so much good ish from Turkey!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    much appreciated

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    He's like the Elvis of Turkey.

so i know his stuff goes for decent money on ebay...are his records like a dime a dozen over there?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Most of his lp's are Progressive (or I'd label them), but they're just a little too soft for me. Some of the synth's used on his later lp's are weaksauce. Honestly, I don't really like Turkish psych/prog outside of Bunalim (which is hands down the best to me) and maybe 3 El Hur that has it's moments but it still a bit ethnic. I have the same problem with Turkish psych that I do with Brazilian. A lot of it is too ethnic sounding for me. If you're looking for "rare groove" maybe you'll find something, but from a psych/prog perspective Baris is weak as hell. I mean, if you're looking for funkier shit then you need to cop Edip Akbayram or Erkin Koray over Manco. They're much stronger in all aspects anyhow IMO.

• i like Mogollar

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    too ethnic

• Senay ... so much good ish from Turkey!
    straight heat from her...even though she looks like Bonnie Raitt

• And check out Belkis Unluses' version of "Lambaya Puf De" --much better than Baris Manco's version.

too ethnic

Seriously... that's the best part. You have these traditional Anatolian folk singers doing fuzzed out psych funk. Same goes for Tropicalia in Brazil.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    too ethnic

Seriously... that's the best part. You have these traditional Anatolian folk singers doing fuzzed out psych funk. Same goes for Tropicalia in Brazil.

easy on the "not a good look thing", i can understand what he's saying,
    it just may have come out wrong. i can definitely get with a lot of
    turksih stuff (including manco) but when some of the vocals come out,
    its like "can you please be quiet, youre ruining your own song"
    maybe its because i never grew up hearing turkish?
    im more than cool with brazilian music though, and i never grew up
    with that either so, my point is...i dont really have a point.
    just stop being so gay when people express their opinions.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    "can you please be quiet, youre ruining your own song[/b]"

maybe its because i never grew up hearing turkish?

yea it maybe an aquired taste, and yea you have every right to express your opinion, but be a little open minded. if you wanna listen to psych that doesnt ruin the music, keep your ears in the west. but dont expect ananda shankar or manco to sound like dorothy moskowitz. comparison is unfounded and deeply

ait im gonna get drunk.

BIG game(s)

easy on the "not a good look thing"

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    easy on the "not a good look thing"