what are you doing about the quality of your life?

2»

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Scotch and brownies.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Has anybody got some top tips for stopping smoking?? Id really like to stop killing myself slowly.
    "The last night on earth" technique worked for me: Go out, get REALLY fucking hammered to the point where you are definitely going to get sick; mix everything from wine to tequila shots to jagermesiter. While doing this harm to your body, smoke incessantly--in fact, smoke at least 2 packs while doing all of this. Vomit often. Get nauseated as fuck. Have the most horrendous hang-over in the world and the work for the first week is done: you won't want to drink or smoke at all. Week two, though you'll be craving a little, you'll still remember that night and smoke will seem like eating out Chewbacca's ass-hole. From there, I found other habits to take over like chewing a shitload of gum and running. Running is great because it reminds you how much you've fucked your lungs up and you can actually chew on and taste the repurcussions of years of abuse.

I haven't smoked in 6 years. I smoked a pack a day for four.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, I run 4-5 miles everyday, am kind to my wife, and am controlling my road rage by not flipping off fools in traffic. The latter is the hardest not to do. I also take vitamins because I eat too much crap like trader joe snax and corn-dogs. I love that $2 wine though with a bag of chocolate covered peanut filled pretzels. Off the chain.

• Has anybody got some top tips for stopping smoking?? Id really like to stop killing myself slowly.
    "The last night on earth" technique worked for me: Go out, get REALLY fucking hammered to the point where you are definitely going to get sick; mix everything from wine to tequila shots to jagermesiter. While doing this harm to your body, incessantly--in fact, smoke at least 2 packs while doing all of this. Vomit often. Get nauseated as fuck. Have the most horrendous hang-over in the world and the work for the first week is done: you won't want to drink or smoke at all. Week two, though you'll be craving a little, you'll still remember that night and smoke will seem like eating out Chewbacca's ass-hole. From there, I found other habits to take over like chewing a shitload of gum and running. Running is great because it reminds you how much you've fucked your lungs up and you can actually chew on and taste the repurcussions of years of abuse.

Dude this is horrible. Just stop smoking. If you don't want to you wont. If you really want to you can do it. I smoked for 7 years and I have not had a smoke in 3. Fuck yes its hard, but it can be done and you don't need to nearlly kill yourself to do it.

PS smoking 2 packs really fast can send you right to the fucking hospital.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

"The last night on earth" technique worked for me: Go out, get REALLY fucking hammered to the point where you are definitely going to get sick; mix everything from wine to tequila shots to jagermesiter. While doing this harm to your body, incessantly--in fact, smoke at least 2 packs while doing all of this. Vomit often. Get nauseated as fuck. Have the most horrendous hang-over in the world and the work for the first week is done: you won't want to drink or smoke at all. Week two, though you'll be craving a little, you'll still remember that night and smoke will seem like eating out Chewbacca's ass-hole. From there, I found other habits to take over like chewing a shitload of gum and running. Running is great because it reminds you how much you've fucked your lungs up and you can actually chew on and taste the repurcussions of years of abuse.

you are officially a badass.

holy fuck.

you should do this and videotape the entire night.

well done sir.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Has anybody got some top tips for stopping smoking?? Id really like to stop killing myself slowly.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, I run 4-5 miles everyday, am kind to my wife, and am controlling my road rage by not flipping off fools in traffic. The latter is the hardest not to do. I also take vitamins because I eat too much crap like trader joe snax and corn-dogs. I love that $2 wine though with a bag of chocolate covered peanut filled pretzels. Off the chain.

While this may work for some I commonly smoke 40 plus cigarettes on a binge night out and, while I feel the poisoning until well into the evening of the next day, my fiending is so strong that I'll suffer the horribleness of the first cigarette knowing that the next one will be a bit better and so on and so on.

I think I can forgo the physical addiction but I'm worried about how much more unpleasant a person I'll be if I give up. It's about the only thing that keeps my temper at work in check. Not an excuse you understand, pure office based psychology.

Oh yeah, as far as quality of life, doing more push ups again, got a 7 grand pay rise and now focusing my entire attention on beating the utter shit that is the UK property ladder and buying my first house.

• My tips to quit smoking:

1. Have a "sponsor". Someone to answer to - a woman, a parent, a child. Someone who you will totally let down and feel humiliated in front of if you break. Every time I consider smoking I think of how let down my lady would be.

2. Buy a big sack of weed. A quarter at least.

3. Roll joints, even keep them in a cig box. You can't go about your life stoned all day (at least, I can't) so reserve them for when a craving is just killing you. Smoke the joint. I was smoking morning, afternoon, and night for a while, but now I'm back to normal - just once a day or so.

4. Make landmarks - one month out, have your sponsor reward you. A dinner, a gift, something to make it worth keeping on.

5. DO NOT avoid the things that make you want to smoke. You'll never break your habit if you can't have a beer or a steak or whatever for the next year of your life. Go get drunk, and DON'T smoke. You might have it really hard the first time but you'll be stronger the next time.

Bottom line you will be craving for YEARS. So it is willpower willpower willpower. But you have to just keep telling yourself - this is a must. Quit or die, seriously. The sooner you start the sooner you'll kick.

I smoked for ten years. I still crave from time to time but I've been off four months (longest ever) and I haven't broke. It's behind me now.

I now hate cigarette smoke - the smell of it on clothes, women, bars, cars... it's disgusting. Do you smoke? You smell fucking disgusting. Think you don't? You do. All the time. The sooner you quit the sooner you'll realize how foul that shit is.

• You may argue all day that banning smoking in bars and coffee shops is an infringement on your rights, and i'll listen; i've smoked in many bars. Fortunately, I was only dabbled in smoking while very drunk, so its not something I hold dear.

But, the ban on that shit is UNFUCKWITTABLE. I roll my eyes at the primitave places that still allow that shit. Not stinking like an old ashtray when you get home is sonecessary...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I now hate cigarette smoke - the smell of it on clothes, women, bars, cars... it's disgusting.

What do we have here, jonny? Listing "women" between all the other "things"?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

1. Have a "sponsor". Someone to answer to - a woman, a parent, a child. Someone who you will totally let down and feel humiliated in front of if you break.

4. Make landmarks - one month out, have your sponsor reward you. A dinner, a gift, something to make it worth keeping on.

Force your child to take you to dinner or give you a gift?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    My tips to quit smoking:

1. Have a "sponsor". Someone to answer to - a woman, a parent, a child. Someone who you will totally let down and feel humiliated in front of if you break. Every time I consider smoking I think of how let down my lady would be.

3. Roll joints, even keep them in a cig box. You can't go about your life stoned all day (at least, I can't) so reserve them for when a craving is just killing you. Smoke the joint. I was smoking morning, afternoon, and night for a while, but now I'm back to normal - just once a day or so.

5. DO NOT avoid the things that make you want to smoke. You'll never break your habit if you can't have a beer or a steak or whatever for the next year of your life. Go get drunk, and DON'T smoke. You might have it really hard the first time but you'll be stronger the next time.

Bottom line you will be craving for YEARS. So it is willpower willpower willpower. But you have to just keep telling yourself - this is a must. Quit or die, seriously. The sooner you start the sooner you'll kick.

I smoked for ten years. I still crave from time to time but I've been off four months (longest ever) and I haven't broke. It's behind me now.

I now hate cigarette smoke - the smell of it on clothes, women, bars, cars... it's disgusting. Do you smoke? You smell fucking disgusting. Think you don't? You do. All the time. The sooner you quit the sooner you'll realize how foul that shit is.
    i bascially did the same thing about 5 years ago. I just quit cold turkey and rolled with it. The first week was pretty awful, but it got easier as time went on. I just need to stop smoking trees lately. Shit is getting out of hand. Ive been puffing for about 10 years now and took a break last year for six months and ive never felt better. Its just hard as shit because im under alot of stress with my jobs and school.

A couple of people i know though used this book to help and swear by it.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Nonsmokers/dp/1402718616

Book Description
    A new edition of the revolutionary bestseller, with four million copies in print. Allen Carr???s innovative Easyway method???which he discovered after his own 100-cigarette-a-day habit nearly drove him to despair???has helped millions kick smoking without feeling anxious and deprived. That???s because he helps smokers discover the psychological reasons behind their dependency, explains in detail how to handle the withdrawal symptoms, shows them how to avoid situations when temptation might become too strong, and enables them to stay smoke-free. Carr discusses such issues as nicotine addiction; the social ???brainwashing??? that encourages smoking; the false belief that a cigarette relieves stress; the role boredom plays in sabotaging efforts to stop; and the main reasons for failure. With this proven program, smokers will be throwing away their packs for good.

• 1. Have a "sponsor". Someone to answer to - a woman, a parent, a child. Someone who you will totally let down and feel humiliated in front of if you break.

"A deal's a deal, kid! And Daddy needs his surf & turf."

• 1. Have a "sponsor". Someone to answer to - a woman, a parent, a child. Someone who you will totally let down and feel humiliated in front of if you break.

I think you get the gist. It's important to share - even with a child - how much of a struggle it is.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    One really helpful thing is to take the $ you would've blown on cigs and buy something else with it. I started to buy better records, but something slightly indulgent will do. And a sponsor is a great idea.

The other thing is, don't buy into the bullshit of "Oh, something is too stressful..." You wouldn't even believe the shit that went wrong when I quit. I had my car stolen, my laptop stolen, work absolutely fucked me, we were forced to look after some kids after their parents went to jail and me and my girl were flat broke. There will ALWAYS be something stressful, so just deal with it. Jack off or go for a run or something. Hell, get a punching bag, just don't smoke again, cause you'll always go back to it.

And patches help like a motherfucker! You'll get the bonus of trippy dreams too!
    Good luck, Jonny is right, that shit stinks and as soon as you quit you'll realise it.

• i've lost 35 pounds since march. stopped drinking cokes and pretty much all processed foods. limiting red meat to very little if none. exercise about 70 minutes a day. eating fish a lot. i still drink and smoke but trying to decrease it. one thing about smoking it is easier to quit than decrease the amount you smoke. not quite sure why i can't i guess the chemical composition is changed in your brain...i'm basically giving jesse helms a raise every pack of cigarettes i buy.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    My tips to quit smoking:

Cheers Jonny, all sound advice.

Thinking I might go the sponsor route as my girl smokes as well and if we both quit at the same time there's the pride aspect of not being the first to fuck it up.

Always swore that if she ever gets pregnant I'm quitting the next day though that's quite an extreme route to give up the smoking.

Don't think weed during the day would be good for my job though the idea is tempting to say the least.

been smoking for night on 14 years and have given up for short breaks a couple of times - must admit that the idea of not stinking of stale smoke is far more of a motivation I can grab hold of at the moment that the long and painful death waiting down the line.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Thanks for the tips peoples. Think im gonna try go with JPs method rather than gnats real kill yo self ways. Ive not smoked so far today so i guess thats a start.