Thoughts on Ken KESEY

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Ken Kesey may not be the best author, but he is my favorite. I always make that distinction; his writing, his life, and his work are all very flawed, but these flaws help reveal his greatness.His first two books, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and the CRIMINALLY SLEPT ON "Sometimes a Great Notion," are arguably the best 1-2 punch of any 20th Century American novelist. The first book is great; the second book is transcendent, and marks a turning point in history, as well as a downturn in Kesey's writing."Sometimes a Great Notion," is the story of the Stamper family, a logging clan in a small Oregon town. The local union is striking, and the only holdouts are the Stampers. led by their eccentric patriarch, Henry, and his mirror image son, Hank, the Stampers are a tough as nails, 'never give an inch,' bunch that stands outside the town, teetering on a cliff, and on the edge of something...greatness or eradication. No one really knows.In this conflict, Kesey manages a masterful examination of man vs. nature, east vs. west, intellectual vs. physical, union vs. worker, town vs. family, father vs. son, brother vs. brother, man vs. wife, past vs. present vs. future...and ultimately, man vs. man. His book is a very real indictment of hypermasculinity, and for all of the greatness it can afford, the weaknesses inherent in this myopic existence. It is also an incredibly moving, funny, and epic saga of one working class family and town. The smalltown bar dialogue in it has never been topped, in my opinion.When Kesey finished it in 1964, he said it was the best thing he would ever write. And, it was in fact his book tour for that book that became the famous Bus Trip of the Merry Pranksters. Think about that; the best book this great American author would ever write has been outshone by the seminal, though VASTLY (CANYON size vast) inferior, "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test," which documented what happened to Kesey during and immediately after his books publication.The publication was tough, I should add. Many critics thought the book to be overly long, self indulgent, and the reviews were extremely mixed. By most reports, Kesey took this hard, which led to him turning his attention to the happenings and Acid Tests that whe would become known for. I admire Kesey as an author for his endless curiosity, his exploratory nature, and his daring during the 60s. I see a lot of it in myself; my intrests are wide, spanning from music to literature to food/drink/drinking to dominoes to politics. He was also a great teacher, a stubborn and at time reluctant leader, and a great lover of writing. So, this is what draws me to him as a figure. At the same time, the part of me that values his writing so highly will always know that it was those divided interests that left us with only two great works, a couple essay collections, and two later novels that just weren't nearly as good.When Kesey died, one of his eulogizers was quoted as saying that he was a towering figure, strong, and the only man who could stand stock still with his hands at his sides. Not in his pockets, not folding his arms, not biting his nails. Stoic and comfortable, with his hands at his sides. I like to picture him overlooking an Oregon river bend like this.Ken Kesey is a major figure in my life, and I encourage all of you to read his first two novels, but especially the second. I've read a lot, and it is my favorite.(if any of the facts in this are a bit off, please forgive. I'm at work, I haven't read Electric Kool Aid in 10 years, and I did a lot of Kesey-esque activities in that time. I hope you take the spirit of these words to heart...)

Comments

• That was a cool tribute to your favorite author. I love it when strutters write stuff like this but...

His first two books, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and the CRIMINALLY SLEPT ON "Sometimes a Great Notion," are arguably the best 1-2 punch of any 20th Century American novelist.

Are you talking about the best debut and second novel combination or any two novels? Either way I think this is a bit of a stretch.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    and I did a lot of Kesey-esque activities in that time. I hope you take the spirit of these words to heart...)

im in need of a good book, now i know which one ill buy.

cheers mate.

• It's funny you should bring this up today because my roomate brought home a copy of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test yesterday and I started reading it last night. One of the first things I thought about while reading it was that I needed to read some Kesey, because I've never even read a sentence by the man.

I'll take your recommendation and pick up those two novels. Thanks!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Kesey's all-too-blunt treatment of racism in Sometimes a Great Notion bothered me as I read it. Granted, Kesey was just portraying a sad reality...but my take is that he did way too much of building it up in order to not really knock it down.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

• That was a cool tribute to your favorite author. I love it when strutters write stuff like this but...

His first two books, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and the CRIMINALLY SLEPT ON "Sometimes a Great Notion," are arguably the best 1-2 punch of any 20th Century American novelist.

Are you talking about the best debut and second novel combination or any two novels? Either way I think this is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, was saying debut-second novel. And, yes, I threw arguably in there because I figured he wouldn't be number one on both lists. But, I think there is at least an argument.

And yes, his treatment of race/racism in Sometimes a Great Notion is somiething to discuss if not question; i've had that PM convo w/ Harvey before, and it was all very civil and came to some sort of agreement. But, for purposes of this conversation, I didn't want to muddy the waters.

While we're at it:

Best Debut-Second Novel by a 20th Century Author (male, female, anyone)

I'm rolling with Kesey.

• In the 20th century in America--

Thomas Pynchon:

V
    The Crying of Lot 49

Worldwide:

James Joyce:

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
    Ulysses

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Huge fan of Kesey. Used to always say Sometimes A Great Notion was my favorite book. I love the scene in the book where hippy dude discusses Coltrane's Africa Brass with Hank.

Last year I sent away for a library VHS copy of the movie version, directed by Paul Newman. Not a bad flick but no film could ever do the book justice.

I just read a decent book about all the so-called New Journalism dudes -- Wolfe, Thompson, Mailer. I think it was called Refusing to Write Straight or something along those lines. It said Wolfe took acid with Timothy Leary, but not the Merry Pranksters -- to get a better handle of what's going on.

• I think Kesey beats Pynchon on the strength of the first two; but, Pynchon was building to Number 3, which kind of sons all.

Wasn't 'Dubliners,' Joyce's debut? Either way, those two would beat Kesey on most lists, yes.

• Dubliners is a short story collection and we were talking about first two novels.

Kesey does have a strong first two. It just seems he could never put anything good after that. Maybe it was jail that did it.

• Dubliners is a short story collection and we were talking about first two novels.

Kesey does have a strong first two. It just seems he could never put anything good after that. Maybe it was jail that did it.

I guess I was thinking first two pieces; either way, Dubliners is major. I considered Phillip Roth as well, because "Goodbye, Columbus," is a killer debut; I believe 'Letting Go,' was next, which i've heard by most accounts is ...ehh. Forget, though.

yeah, Kesey's career arc was similar to his description of doing DMT in Electric Kool Aid: Like being shot out of a canon, a major trip for 20 minutes. Whereas writers like Roth, Samuel Beckett, Cormac McCarthy, et al are like the longer acid trip.

• Also, if you take into account that Ernest Hemingway's technical debut novel was written to get him out of a bad contract, this 1-2 punch is pretty much hard to beat:

The Sun Also Rises
    A Farewell to Arms

• Also, if you take into account that Ernest Hemingway's technical debut novel was written to get him out of a bad contract, this 1-2 punch is pretty much hard to beat:

The Sun Also Rises
    A Farewell to Arms

Oof. We have a winner. Sun Also Rises is the most hardasfuck ending. jesus.

• I'm going to have to re-read Sometimes a Great Notion. It's been over ten years but you've finally convinced me.

Actually, now that we're at it I have to re-read The Sun Also Rises as well. Damn I love that book.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i see key see's role as much more than a writer
    he was a wrestler and a farmboy,leader,father,husband,prankster,teacher,trafic cop in egypt,professor,etc
    a mythical man larger than life and big hearted and the likes of which we probobly will never see from our current young AMERICAN writers
    he always offered the option of peace and intellect as a solution instead of brutality
    a student and a promising young writer at stamford who kick started a big chunk of what would be co opted into
    "the counter culture"
    he gave cassidy a new platform after kerouac pickled himself dead then
    midwifed the dead /acid/owsley/neon/dayglo/acid tests which set a standard and the templete for RAVE culture

he was a realist a true taoist who threw the i ching daily
    and a pot head booze loving thought criminal
    tarnished galihand
    but he was not on some peace loving hippy shit
    it was rooted in the outlaw state of mind

there's a great ear out there.....................

I guess I was thinking first two pieces; either way, Dubliners is major. I considered Phillip Roth as well, because "Goodbye, Columbus," is a killer debut; I believe 'Letting Go,' was next, which i've heard by most accounts is ...ehh. Forget, though.

yeah, Kesey's career arc was similar to his description of doing DMT in Electric Kool Aid: Like being shot out of a canon, a major trip for 20 minutes. Whereas writers like Roth, Samuel Beckett, Cormac McCarthy, et al are like the longer acid trip.

Goodbye, Columbus is also really a collection, even though the first story is about 100 pages.

I'd throw Baldwin out there as the best American...
    Go Tell it on the mountain
    Giovanni's Room.

I think Kakfa could hold his own with Joyce
    The Metamorphosis
    The Trial
    (or the Castle if you don't think the metamorphosis can stand up to the Novel test)

• Hell, I'll include debut short story collections. Especially those as good as "Goodbye, Columbus."

• Hell, I'll include debut short story collections. Especially those as good as "Goodbye, Columbus."

Goodbye, Columbus is a great story.

Then you gotta throw JD Salinger in there too...

• I'm not trying to keep any author out...Collections, novels, whatever...Just has to be fiction...

Kesey is better than Salinger to me; he doesn't age well. Kesey is a fine wine.

• i was lucky to get too meet kesey on a couple of occasions and he was very nice both times. sometimes a great notion is a wonderful novel, one of my very favorite and it reminds me a lot of my mother's family, all loggers here in the oregon woods.

the pranksters maintained quite a presence here in oregon for up to the time of kesey's passing. i still remember pulling into the autzen stadium lot for a dead show and having ken babbs greet us at the gate.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i was lucky to get too meet kesey on a couple of occasions and he was very nice both times. sometimes a great notion is a wonderful novel, one of my very favorite and it reminds me a lot of my mother's family, all loggers here in the oregon woods.

the pranksters maintained quite a presence here in oregon for up to the time of kesey's passing. i still remember pulling into the autzen stadium lot for a dead show and having ken babbs greet us at the gate.

zygone blackmarks

http://www.skypilotclub.com/index.html

• oh, and as for one two punches in the twentieth century what's that? first two?

nabokov: the real life of sebastien knight and lolita = first two in english, he'd done like 8 in russian
    already.

• the best 1-2 punch of any 20th Century American novelist.

Henry Miller:
    1) Tropic Of Capricorn
    2) Sexus

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Growing up in the 70s in Oregon, Kesey was a mythic ghostlike presence, floating around events and conversations in my world. As a kid I used to raft on the Siletz river past the house featured in Sometimes. My dad often talked about the spirit of Kesey. I think he admired his thoughtful rebellion against conformity and materialism. My dad was a psychologist. Several of his friends who worked at Oregon State Hospital (where the cuckoos nest was flimed) were in the movie (the scenes were he is being evaluated, those are actual doctors.) Sadly, I never read Sometimes. After listening to your praise, I guess I need to step up.

Of course, cuckoos nest is seminal and I found EKAT very inspiring. That group of artists and thinkers pushed the envelope of conciousness in a very positive way. I am sad that I never got a chance to meet Kesey though I had many chances.

After those Dead shows a Autzen, my friend Paul went back to Kesey's farm and hung out on Furthur while tripping.