WFMU record show

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
this looks nice. is it worth the trek from Philly?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    [rant]

I have not been to an FMU show in 4 years. While there is the occasional steal, most records are priced for deep pocket foreigners willing to pay the eBay rate and above. If you got dough to drop, I say make the trek. If you are looking for dollar bin miracles, fuhgeddaboutit... dealers get a crack at the hot shit before anyone else. Also.. there is a lot of elbow rubbing and indie cracker bedhead dudes with horrendous B.O. Go, because you want an excuse to hang out in the city.

[/rant]

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Exactly. I'll be making the trip from Philly to NY on Thursday night. I'm going for the hype and to connect with peoples. Hopefully I can pick up a few nice records in the process.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i went once on a whim
    2 years ago i brought this punk rock chick i was seeing to the show for fun and i didn't buy anything
    i bought her some sonny and cher 45s
    we goofed on the scene and had fun
    peeping my dawg small change
    shasta
    btw
    where is small change????
    selma
    selma
    selma

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Balaban--DVD, Vinyl, 8 & 16mm film, Pulp & Glamour, Kitsch, Collectibles, all things Pop. "NYC's premiere purveyor of trash culture"-Village Voice

wtf?

• Raj you haven't gone in four years yet you have this rant?

Last year was the first time I was there on a mission to buy (rather than browse), and I came up... and many of the finds were during regular admission.

If you want to go, casually browse, plop down with your portable and scan through tracks, then all the hot underpriced shit will be gone before you can say "stabz". It is not a casual buying experience.

It is hectic but you are not going to find that amount of quality records in one place elsewhere.

NYC stores are on smash right now too, if you would rather save the time and stress...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

NYC stores are on smash right now too

Seriously

• See you folls there. With luck, I'll be the one in the company of NYC's most stylish female DJs and too hungover to buy records.

But come to this and say hi when you're through digging:

Hopefully you'll be able to see me tackle S!B! host Josh Styles again.

• cue "Mah Back Hurt" graemlin

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Raj you haven't gone in four years yet you have this rant?

i hear that rant from peeps who have NEVER gone

• See you folls there. With luck, I'll be the one in the company of NYC's most stylish female DJs and too hungover to buy records.

But come to this and say hi when you're through digging:

Hopefully you'll be able to see me tackle S!B! host Josh Styles again.

Marc,

Ty Jesso on that bill is the man...DJed my wedding, and I'm doing a gig with him in Nov. Have fun at that one...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    MARCO

memphis is waiting
    they are ready for the smackdown this weekend
    lookout for the peglegs & hook-up arms at nautical bill the sailor's !

wfmu
    b/w
    greensboro/raliegh

• 40 bucks for doubles of bdp jack of spades 12's,very overpriced!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    deals can be found, but it all depends on what you are looking for.
    but one real shady moment: dealer yelling out, "12" records -- one dollar"--then everyone scrambles over towards that area--then he says, "must buy at least ten"
    i look through a couple of rows of complete garbage 12" records and give up.