T.I. Interview - Wax Poetics

Size13Size13 52 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    how is getting arrested for assaulting a police officer "adding insult to injury"? Eh whatever.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    yo... waxpo is my peoples and i dig T.I. about as much as i'm gonna dig any currently relevant rap dude, but... wtf is T.I. doing in waxpo???

• yo... waxpo is my peoples and i dig T.I. about as much as i'm gonna dig any currently relevant rap dude, but... wtf is T.I. doing in waxpo???

right? this after all the huff about the Diddy thread

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day. Won't WaxPo eventually run out of things to talk about? I hope not, cause I love it, but they've done a good job of plundering the ages for musical nuggets. What's left though? The guy who put up the curtains at Motown? The guy who used to wash Creeds car?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day. Won't WaxPo eventually run out of things to talk about? I hope not, cause I love it, but they've done a good job of plundering the ages for musical nuggets. What's left though? The guy who put up the curtains at Motown? The guy who used to wash Creeds car?

Won't we run out of records to collect?

• WP is going pop

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Man, there are still THOUSANDS of stories to tell, people to interview, etc. I don't even mind interviews with current rappers / singers, but why somebody like T.I. who you can read about every month in Vibe, Source, XXL, Complex, Rap Pages, Blaze etc.? (oops... some of those mags don't even exist anymore, do they? Well, you get what I'm saying) I want to read about Nicole Willis, unknown stories about old school rappers who never got any coverage pre The Source, more stuff about some of the artists who made certain well known holy grail rarities back in the 60's / 70's, even some current underunderground down south rap dudes would be okay with me. ANYTHING that's not the same schitt that all these other mags are hittin' us with.
    I don't want this to come as a dis of waxpo or t.i., cuz that's not my intention at all. Just constructive criticism from a loyal waxpo fan (please don't cancel my free subscription, A***e! ).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    yo... waxpo is my peoples and i dig T.I. about as much as i'm gonna dig any currently relevant rap dude, but... wtf is T.I. doing in waxpo???

It's about dollars and cents, bottom line. I'd be very curious to see the Wax Poetics business model in respect to their target audience/demographic analysis. I'm guessing they are currently reaching a very limited, yet loyal reading audience.

Is the T.I. interview just an online piece or was it also in the Bataan issue? In either cause, I'll bet they're trying to get the attention of a (dare I say it) crossover readership to boost subscription sales.

Can't shake my head at that, especially if it keeps the magazine above sea level.

Phill, I wouldn't be worried until T.I. or the like takes the cover, which I honestly don't see happening.

• Maybe sales are down and they needed to attract an outside audience for an issue or two? I don't mind a T.I. interview cuz I actually listen to T.I., but you're right. This interview could have been in any magazine. I mean, they didn't even really ask him any music related questions. They just asked him about money, the projects, getting arrested, selling drugs, etc. Seems pretty out of place in a WP. I still love the mag though, don't get me wrong.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's about dollars and cents, bottom line. I'd be very curious to see the Wax Poetics business model in respect to their target audience/demographic analysis. I'm guessing they are currently reaching a very limited, yet loyal reading audience.

I believe one of their editors told me that they now have a circulation of 60K.

They've been massively successful with a a certain approach, so I really don't know why they would switch up now and give coverage to guys like T.I. who, as much as I like him, can be read about in a million other places.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    The problem is not that they have a q&a with TI, but that the interview is BORING. I can understand why they want to run an interview with a current rapper, but it's not a reason to forget about the quality control.

They would ask the same question to MC Ren it would be out of place in Wax Poetics in the same way. Which reminds me of the Beastie Boys interview they did a year ago, it was meaning less as well.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I guess dudes from wax po come here to see what people are talking about & mine the joint for their mag. TI was the order of the day here before the publishing deadline for this issue, I guess. The next issue will have interviews with JT, and a review of "Press Play".

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    There was a liquor ad (jameson or something) in this new issue of Wax Poetics. A first for the mag, I believe. Just an observation...

Won't we run out of records to collect?

Isn't that where all the private press stuff comes in? Don't get me wrong, I was just looking at it from a mathematical point of view. I hope that they never run out of stories, because it's the best mag out there, and I happily pay my $20 for a copy in Australia. I don't want it to turn into XXL.
    Didn't a similar thing happen to Scratch though? It's not on the same level as a mag, but their content changed over time due to financial pressures. I hope the same thing doesn't happen.

• Dre's been on the cover of Scratch twice in, what, 5 issues? I don't think it's changed much since its inception into the mag world. Dre. Little John. Kanye. Cool & Dre. Just Blaze. Swizzy. Timbo. All pretty much in the same vein...

• I didn't read the thread but I have one statement to make:

Underground vs mainstream is so 1997.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Dre's been on the cover of Scratch twice in, what, 5 issues? I don't think it's changed much since its inception into the mag world. Dre. Little John. Kanye. Cool & Dre. Just Blaze. Swizzy. Timbo. All pretty much in the same vein...

I think there's been a noticeable change. Initially, it was a lot more tech-oriented, and to have a mag like that specifically aimed at a readership that was interested in hip-hop was something new. While the focus still seems to be on producers and suchlike, there's been a definite move towards the kind of territory already occupied by XXL, The Source, etc. I still read it, but it's not quite as interesting to me as it was when it came out.

Dre's been on the cover of Scratch twice in, what, 5 issues? I don't think it's changed much since its inception into the mag world. Dre. Little John. Kanye. Cool & Dre. Just Blaze. Swizzy. Timbo. All pretty much in the same vein...

I think there's been a noticeable change. Initially, it was a lot more tech-oriented, and to have a mag like that specifically aimed at a readership that was interested in hip-hop was something new. While the focus still seems to be on producers and suchlike, there's been a definite move towards the kind of territory already occupied by XXL, The Source, etc. I still read it, but it's not quite as interesting to me as it was when it came out.

Yeah, they've gone from proudcers talking about production, to producers and rappers talking about rapping. Overall much more of a focus on rappers.

This sheds some light on it all...

http://www.onestopbeats.com/waxpoetics.html