What is up with country music?

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Do all country dudes look like this now?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Country Music died in 1967

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    LOL! Comedy. Most of these "new" country artist guys are looking like some dudes if not straight gay. All of the music is terrible as well. People should just support Willie Nelson and the old school artists that actually play and perform country music. All of this current country music is a BAD combination of pop and rock with a steel slide guitar mixed in the background to somehow sound "Country."

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Blame Garth Brooks.

I get wistful remembering my youth when this guy was the standard

which is still kinda soft compared to these guys

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

a force to be reckoned with

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    see also why bullshit terms like "Americana" are invented.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    All of this current country music is a BAD combination of pop and rock with a steel slide guitar mixed in the background to somehow sound "Country."

That's what I'm saying--there's nothing "country" about country music anymore--it's just insipid soft rock with a slight twang. And reactionary lyrical content.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    reactionary lyrical content.

country music has always had prominent nostalgia / good ole days type themes.

if you interpret this a a fond look back towards days of unquestioned white supremacy it can seem pretty foul...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

This is what I'm talking about. This guy looks straight brokeback mountain in this picture! LOL.

• All of this current country music is a BAD combination of pop and rock with a steel slide guitar mixed in the background to somehow sound "Country."

That's what I'm saying--there's nothing "country" about country music anymore--it's just insipid soft rock with a slight twang. And reactionary lyrical content.

What is this bullshit? You are clearly a rappist who does not understand the country music culture.

All of this current country music is a BAD combination of pop and rock with a steel slide guitar mixed in the background to somehow sound "Country."

What is this bullshit? You are clearly a rappist who does not understand the country music culture.

What up Ross? I'm from current "Country" music and culture.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    90% of todays country music 'artists' are using (or have used) 9-11 in one way or another to sell records. And most of them certainly wouldnt be singing about amurican pride if it didnt sell so well. Im sure that there are a few legit country musicians out there, but I have yet to hear them.
    But, I suppose that most genres of music pull this shit in one way or another.

reactionary lyrical content.

country music has always had prominent nostalgia / good ole days type themes.

Right, I'm not saying it's a new thing--I'm saying that it's one of the few ways in which contemporary "country" music still resembles the music that people used to apply that word to.

modern 'R&B' doesn't sound like Louis Jordan either.

I'm certainly no modern country fan, but I'd say that it's themes & sound reflect exactly what it's audience wants to hear - Eagles-ish AOR/MOR with a slight frosting of twang

---

Could be.

But let me say this: I would apply very few of the arguments that I've ever made regarding rap music to country.

While I am generally inclined to trust Black popular taste, I have no such faith in white people as a whole.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I dont like country or listen to it but its pretty clear that no one on this page has any vested interest in it, which is why attitudes are so negative. You all sound like anti-rap fans. I mean christ faux of all people to speak about 'reactionary lyrical content,' dude you know i like lots of the same shit you do but lets not act like Jeezy is on some politically progressive tip plz.

All that said, not feeling the look. But more because those dudes look like the striped shirters from Lakeview in chicago.

• All of this current country music is a BAD combination of pop and rock with a steel slide guitar mixed in the background to somehow sound "Country."

Could be.

But let me say this: I would apply very few of the arguments that I've ever made regarding rap music to country.

While I am generally inclined to trust Black popular taste, I have no such faith in white people as a whole.

[faux]You don't really like country music and I suspect that you never have.[/faux]

modern 'R&B' doesn't sound like Louis Jordan either.

I'm certainly no modern country fan, but I'd say that it's themes & sound reflect exactly what it's audience wants to hear - Eagles-ish AOR/MOR with a slight frosting of twang

---

Saying it doesn't sound like it used to sound is very different from saying that it does sound like soft rock that doesn't purport to be country.

Not that I'm invested enough in the music to even argue the point.

I'm much more interested in the fashions.

in terms of gayness chesney ain't got nothin' on such shirtless narcisists as tupac, lil wayne & fiddy

---

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I grew up in the country, and there has been a paradigm shift. Country music doesn't reflect a rural experience now. It has become That is not to say that a lot of young country living people don't listen to country music, but they're just as prone to be listening to 2Pac or Snoop records too. They will listen to the angry drunken country music that is still out there, the hilarious stupid tunes out there, and stuff about love that is remotely sincere, but the sappy insipid bullshit about what America was and love is being listened to by people over 30 and Southern audiences (mainly). Headz will listen to Shania Twain because they'd like to get in her pants, not cuz her music's good. Country music has lost its way when dudes from West Virginia singing country music have to wear 10 gallon hats to be considered "keeping it real."

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    If you cut the annoying pandering shit outta Shock 'n Yall, you have a pretty sweet EP/mini LP of modern outlaw country. (Well, that pretty much goes for all of Toby Keith's post 9/11 albums, I guess...dude's pretty versatile.) And as much as I usually tote the tired-yet-understandable "country just ain't what it used to be since the 70s or so" line, I'd be fibbing if I didn't say Clint Black's Killing Time is one of my alltime fav country albums.

But yeah, don't really care much for most of the pop country ish, which is a shame, since it seems to be the subgenre with the absolute highest production standards. Top notch engineers and all the audio equipment companies bending over backwards and whatnot.

I dont like country or listen to it but its pretty clear that no one on this page has any vested interest in it, which is why attitudes are so negative. You all sound like anti-rap fans. I mean christ faux of all people to speak about 'reactionary lyrical content,' dude you know i like lots of the same shit you do but lets not act like Jeezy is on some politically progressive tip plz.

Deej, you are being a poptart. "Plz"

I have not--in this thread--addressed the merits of the lyrical content. I have only noted that it is one of the few elements present in the music that ties it to a longer tradition.

"Reactionary" is a value-neutral term; if you think it's a bad word, that's because you are bringing your own politics to the discussion.

Did I mention that you sound ass-hurt?

Headz will listen to Shania Twain because they'd like to get in her pants, not cuz her music's good.

nah, her producer/husband Mutt Lange is a genius of some sort, I heard some Shania on the radio the other day & was amazed at how many pop hooks were crammed into the song - that's mainly why people listen to it - being hot can only get you so far.

Def Leppard sure fell off quick after Lange moved on.

---

in terms of gayness chesney ain't got nothin' on such shirtless narcisists as tupac, lil wayne & fiddy

---

Did I say anything about sexuality?

This point might better be addressed to the board's numerous homophobes.

Headz will listen to Shania Twain because they'd like to get in her pants, not cuz her music's good.

nah, her producer/husband Mutt Lange is a genius of some sort, I heard some Shania on the radio the other day & was amazed at how many pop hooks were crammed into the song - that's mainly why people listen to it - being hot can only get you so far.

Def Leppard sure fell off quick after Lange moved on.

---

I would just like to note that "headz" have somehow found their way into this discussion.

---

Did I say anything about sexuality?

This point might better be addressed to the board's numerous homophobes.

don't be asshurt now.

I was just musing aloud, or in print as it were.

---

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I grew up in the country, and there has been a paradigm shift. Country music doesn't reflect a rural experience now. It has become That is not to say that a lot of young country living people don't listen to country music, but they're just as prone to be listening to 2Pac or Snoop records too. They will listen to the angry drunken country music that is still out there, the hilarious stupid tunes out there, and stuff about love that is remotely sincere, but the sappy insipid bullshit about what America was and love is being listened to by people over 30 and Southern audiences (mainly). Headz will listen to Shania Twain because they'd like to get in her pants, not cuz her music's good. Country music has lost its way when dudes from West Virginia singing country music have to wear 10 gallon hats to be considered "keeping it real."

motherfocking realspeak.

Ne-Yo and Kenny Chesnut are the same person.

Both satisfy the unquentaible thirst for sappy ass music with the random "hard song" put in the mix just to fool the audience to thinking the artist isn't a total fancy-pantser

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    that new country is straightup drivel. fucken posers.

i like some of the older stuff, and Merle Haggard is that dude.

def leppard are cool as shit.

this kid is pretty country too:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Did I mention that you sound ass-hurt?
    I dont see how, i have no vested interest in country either. I just think everyone is being way kneejerk. There is a COUNTRY CULTURE and just like RAP CULTURE it has some less than appealing aspects. I dont really like the music but i understand why some people do. Rap has a lot more in common w/ 'lowest common denominator' country than it does all of the indie rock that it gets compared to on the internet.

This is to other dudes in this thread - there's a way to make fun of these dudes clothes w/out being homophobic with it.