Accepting Western Union For An eBay Auction

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I received this message from a potential buyer:
will you accept cash payments send thru western union money transfer? this is claim at any western union branch--only seconds after i paid them here. i'm from the philippines but shipment will be to california.
Does anybody have experience with Western Union payments for their auctions?Any information or advice is appreciate.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    It sounds too much like the traditional scam. I'm betting if you agree, the part about sending more than the cost of the item, so you can refund the guy in Cali, will come in the next email.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Drewn, a WU money transfer is the best thing that can happen to a seller. You can cash the transfer at your local WU without any fees. The buyer must email a 10-digits code. Ate least that's how it works here.

Be warned, WU is now a "unpproved payment option" for Ebay. But as long as it's a thing between you and the buyer, I think you'll be OK.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, both answers are true - I would say tell the seller
    that there is a common scam using Western Union and make sure
    upfront that is understood that if he wants to pay using that
    service, you will only accept the actual amount invoiced, and
    any attempts to manipulate the payment process will result in
    no deal, immediate negative feedback and a fraud report filed
    with eBay.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    any attempts to manipulate the payment process will result in
    no deal, immediate negative feedback, a fraud report filed
    with eBay and an automatic BAN in the case he becomes a SS member [/b]

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I received this message from a potential buyer:

will you accept cash payments send thru western union money transfer? this is claim at any western union branch--only seconds after i paid them here. i'm from the philippines but shipment will be to california.

Does anybody have experience with Western Union payments for their auctions?

Any information or advice is appreciate.
    this is a scam. i had someone try to do this to me with a sampler before and almost got burned. They also will use a certified check too to run the scam. I wouldnt do it.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    My best ebay customer, a dude from Germany, always pays me by Western Union. It's GREAT. As has been said, you don't take a hit on paypal fees plus you get CASH MONEY. Drewn, here in Philly you can get your loot from any Pathmark, which is a better option than going to a seedy check-cashing spot in the hood. As long as they're just sending you the amount that they owe with no funny stuff going on it shouldn't be a problem- cash in hand is cash in hand,

• Hi Drew

I have never had any problems with western union, like jlr said you get a number from the buyer and then go get the money, its only a scam if they want your bank account numer or try some money order shit.

As alwsys make sure u got cash in your hands before shipping, shits more of a hassle but at least you don't have to worry about them trying to get their money back through paypal

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    My best ebay customer, a dude from Germany, always pays me by Western Union.

i wanna be your best german eBay customer!!!

those western union payments are awesome! very quick and safe! i'd do it!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    My best ebay customer, a dude from Germany, always pays me by Western Union.

i wanna be your best german eBay customer!!!

p.eugene... I will be back on my grind SOON. I may be possibly letting the raers go (it'll damn near be some funkyou! level schitt if i decide to go there)... either that or i'll just be finishing up the remainders of my hip hop collection (still many raers to be had). So get your yaper ready and your e-Snipe bidpoints paid up if you really want to be my best german eBay customer... you'll have to bid like a monster!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I may be possibly letting the raers go (it'll damn near be some funkyou! level schitt if i decide to go there)...