Buying a new TV...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
... i have to and I don't know what to do. I'll probably wait until January so I can hit the sales, but I definitely need that shit. About 10 years ago, a girlfriend at the time was supposed to go out and buy me a TV while I was in teh hospital. She bought me the one I have - something called ProScan. I never heard of the model before or since but that's what I have. Anyway, it's 27" and it's been cool up until about 7 months ago when shit started to get distorted and do the "line dance."Anyway, who has what TV? I'm thinking I want to spend $1000 so I'm sure I can get something good with that, but what brand? What features do I need? Do I get a HDTV? Do I get a plasma? Help me out!

Comments

• For $1000 you COULD get a projector... It's a little more complicated to set up and you gotta be able to make your room pretty dark, have a sound system to hook up to, etc. but you can get 80-150 inches of viewing pleasure. great for movies and games. plus, if you have to move, it's not as difficult as moving a giant plasma TV...

• Haha, oh shit..you beat me..I thought about making a TV post on here. I just bought this 42inch HDTV Plasma Hitatchi joint Friday night(was delivered yesterday) and i'm loving it. It was $1799, but i'm diggin it. Havent really gotten to watch it too much yet, but goddamn it looks nice!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    ProScan is a good brand. Don't know much about it but in my electronics selling heyday it had a good reputation. I'm still rocking my 1985 Sony 25". It's a beast! It's got discoloration in the corners, no screws holding the case together and I lost the remote probably 10 years ago. In the last few months the color has started to fade so I think it's only got another year or two in it max but damn it was well worth the money.

I can't get with flatscreen TVs. The image just looks weird.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    For $1000 you COULD get a projector... It's a little more complicated to set up and you gotta be able to make your room pretty dark, have a sound system to hook up to, etc. but you can get 80-150 inches of viewing pleasure. great for movies and games. plus, if you have to move, it's not as difficult as moving a giant plasma TV...

I don't need that. I want something rather simple... 27"-42" TOPS.

• I could have nerded out wayy too much and read a million blogs and reviews about different tv's and shit, but I just said fuck it and went with that Hitatchi. What is everyone else rocking?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm sure that gets great receptioin, Batmon, but I just don't know how that would look next to my armoire.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i bought a 32inch panasonic lcd tv with a built-in hd tuner for 1099 a month ago for my parents. high definition is truly

I'm tempeted to cop a new tv, but 1000+ eagles for a tv is killin it. W/ all the dvd/ps2/pron/cookinchannels/NBA i watch im sure it would be a good investment.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    when you think about it, tv's have gotten hella cheap even with plasma/lcd technology... my parents bought a 32inch sony tv back in 1987 thats has lasted them til now for $1200, considering i copped them a 32inch lcd hdtv for 1100 a few months ago and factor in inflation yada yada yada and you got one cheap tv. granted only time will tell on how long itll last but something to factor in.

also, hey cosmo, a 32inch lcd widescreen tv looks a lot smaller then a 32inch regular tube tv, so factor that in when shopping around.

. a 32inch lcd widescreen tv looks a lot smaller then a 32inch regular tube tv, so factor that in when shopping around.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I'm a total nerd when it comes to this type of shit and I'm just waiting for a 1080p (With HDMI) that I like to come around.

But just for kicks. Goto big box stores and just look at TV's. Check out shit like standing at funny angles and see what the image looks like.

Good luck & have fun!

PS - In my expirence. Try not to ask ur gurl for an opinion. Mine was totally happy with her 10 year old 20" with no cable (2 pairs of rabbit ears).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    If you're looking in the high-triple or thousand dollar rage, there's no reason not to go widescreen HD.

I got in last February after a ton of research and settled on this:

Samsung TXS3082 30" Wide Slimfit HDTV

SlimFit means that it's still got a tube at the back, but it's not nearly as deep at the back as your old TV. So, you can't hang it on the wall, but tube pictures have been said to be better than LCD, etc. anyway.

It's got a built-in HD tuner, so even if you don't have digital cable with an HD package or channels, you can get the HD antenna and watch local channels in HD free of charge.

At under $700, it's a hell of a deal, too. I've had no second thoughts about my purchase.

At under $700, it's a hell of a deal, too.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    what do you watch? tv shows on cable? direct tv? strictly dvd? you play video games? this may play a part in your purchase.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I just took advantage of Circuit City's 12month interest free deal and bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma.
    I already paid over half of it, leaving me with about a G left to pay off over a year.
    50"s of HDTV sure does look nice, this week my DirecTV HD box arrives. Goddamn I love that schitt.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Nice advice dudes, and thanks AI for the original question. I'm still rocking my 25" Panasonic my parents bought back in grad school (if it ain't broke, don't fix it-related). But now, one of the speakers is blown (although I have the stereo hookup as a backup). I also wanna step into '06 and get something modern. I finally broke down and replaced my old Sony Vaio computer with one of their new jawns. I need to stay up on that "next shit" more instead of using up shit until it falls apart (shiiit, I drove my '96 Rodeo for 8 years too before updating). Sue me, I'm a pragmatist.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak