Sticker removal

novasolnovasol 204 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Posted this at fryer-mantis...Perhaps someone may be in need as well. Any other methods?I use the citrus breath method. Find a loose section of the sticker, gently push it up and in with the softness of your finger tip. Then breathe into the void...much like fogging up a window. The heat & humidity softens some stickers. SLOWLY and GENTLY push the sticker away. Repeat this process until the sticker is removed. Patience is the key! Not safe for all sticker types, especially old stubborn types from 1965. Practice on cheap crap first. Caution!!! Remember, stickers sometimes hide tares in the sleeve or label.!Once the sticker is removed, I personally use goo gone citrus gel (not the liquid!) Cleans up sticky residue like a charm! Sometimes goo gone can be applied to stickers directly, soaked in, then removed. Lighter fluid works, but can soak into the paper. Goo gone is thick , hence takes longer to be absorbed as you'll discover when tying to wipe off. Don't use on textured paper-towel like sleeves!Took forever, but Ive been able to remove those unsightly Columbia Records DJ time strips found on the bottom of promo sleeves using above methods. Good Luck!

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

Took forever, but Ive been able to remove those unsightly Columbia Records DJ time strips found on the bottom of promo sleeves using above methods.

Good Luck!

thats a good idea cause i have a bunch of shit with stickers like price tags and other various bullshit on them that i dont want there when slanging on the bay.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Took forever, but Ive been able to remove those unsightly Columbia Records DJ time strips found on the bottom of promo sleeves using above methods.

Word, those are the worst to get off. Thanks for the tips.

• this method sounds quite time consuming. i use lighter fluid. apply with a q-tip, let it soak for 15 seconds, the fluid will go through the sticker and break down the chemical composition that causes it to stick. dont use too much fluid cause it may stain the cover if it goes all the way through. works on all stickers. this is the method taught to me 20+ years age.
    peace, stein. . .

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    this method sounds quite time consuming. i use lighter fluid. apply with a q-tip, let it soak for 15 seconds, the fluid will go through the sticker and break down the chemical composition that causes it to stick. dont use too much fluid cause it may stain the cover if it goes all the way through. works on all stickers. this is the method taught to me 20+ years age.
    peace, stein. . .

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Word, those are the worst to get off. Thanks for the tips.

I've never heard of removing a timing strip before. I guess if you really like the cover a lot and are going to keep it then do what you feel, but as far as determing its promo status I think you should leave it on.

Maybe Im wrong, like I said, Ive never heard of this before. Does removing indicating promo markings and/or stickers increase or lessen its monetary holding in general and on ebay? I'd assume the latter but I havent been paying attention to a lot of records with DJ time strips so I dont know But Im pretty sure you shouldnt mess with things that are original to its release especially coming directly from the label or distribution.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    first I will usually try to remove the sticker without the use of any liquid. simply heat it (hair dryer/lighter) and in most of the cases (especially regarding new records) it is easy to remove. if that does not work lighter fluid is fine as described above.

However, if all that does not work I cautiously use special resolvent "uhu etikettenl??ser" (uhu sticker-removal). this one has a gel consistence and can easily be applied to the sticker. it does not damage the record cover if you let it soak into the sticker sufficiently. it works to remove residues of the glue from the cover as well.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I also use a lighter/hairdryer to heat up the sticker to the point of easy removal, then I clean off the sticky rez with heptane (but don't use that on labels!). Works like a charm 99% of the time. Some of those old stickers can be tricky, though. Like they've almost merged with the cardboard.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i use a lighter. to me, it's much safer than using a fluid. but i leave most sticker on anyway. i only remove price tags.

• Some people find it a bit harsh, but THE BEST adhesive remover in the world is BESTINE.

It evaporates very quickly, does not stain paper covers, and will easily remove 40 year old stickers.

I removed one of those huge promo stickers with bestine too.

I keep mine in a little dropper:

It works better than lighter fluid & goo gone, and is cheap as well. It is highly refined and doesn't have much of an odor, but like all mineral spirits, it is not that great for you to inhale, so use in a ventilated room.

I have been using it for years.