What should I do with this dead Ipod?

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
If there is already a thread about this please point me in the right direction...My Ipod died stone cold out of nowhere. Never had battery problems or anything and now it's dead, won't take a charge, screen won't turn on. It's less than two years old (20 GB), and I don't mind buying another MP3 player but it was a wedding gift so it is engraved to me and my wife. Of course I would also like to avoid having to rip all that music again, if it can be saved. Should I take it to the Apple Store? Should I send it in? Throw it away?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    mine just died yesterday.

it may be under waranty, in which case they'll replace it for free. if not, you can exchange it for a crappy 10% discount. Unfortunatley, this is the case with mine.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i would send it here
    http://www.ipodresq.com/detail.php?prodID=P010069
    i heard they are pretty good and get it back to you fast. Instead of having to wait 6 weeks for apples support to fix the shit.

• I still have my OG clickwheel 4gb ipod. Works like a charm. Did you try the manual restart method where you hold down the play and middle button for several seconds?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Did you try the manual restart method where you hold down the play and middle button for several seconds?

Oh shit it worked! I was trying it last night but it didn't work. I think the battery had to die first. The screen says "OK to disconnect" and "Disk Mode" at the top. What does that mean?

• Did you try the manual restart method where you hold down the play and middle button for several seconds?

Oh shit it worked! I was trying it last night but it didn't work. I think the battery had to die first. The screen says "OK to disconnect" and "Disk Mode" at the top.

you're welcome...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• Oh shit it worked! I was trying it last night but it didn't work. I think the battery had to die first. The screen says "OK to disconnect" and "Disk Mode" at the top. What does that mean?

Disk mode means that the ipod is enabled to function like an external hard drive if you need it. Good for transferring larger files that won't fit on a USB key.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Oh shit it worked! I was trying it last night but it didn't work. I think the battery had to die first. The screen says "OK to disconnect" and "Disk Mode" at the top. What does that mean?

Disk mode means that the ipod is enabled to function like an external hard drive if you need it. Good for transferring larger files that won't fit on a USB key.

how do i get it to work regular? it seems to be stuck in this screen

• Oh shit it worked! I was trying it last night but it didn't work. I think the battery had to die first. The screen says "OK to disconnect" and "Disk Mode" at the top. What does that mean?

how do i get it to work regular? it seems to be stuck in this screen

Shut it off and let it charge completely. Then try it again.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Handy site for the diagnostic mode/disk mode/hard reset commands:

http://www.command-tab.com/2006/03/30/hidden-ipod-commands/

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Handy site for the diagnostic mode/disk mode/hard reset commands:

that fixed it. thanks!

• Handy site for the diagnostic mode/disk mode/hard reset commands:

that fixed it. thanks!

there should also be an option in iTunes under the ipod preferences where you can enable disk use. Ipods function normally even if this is turned on. You just have to manually eject the ipod when it's connected to your computer.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Anybody ever have a problem where their Ipod wont turn off? My Ipod has been refusing to turn off/ go to sleep whenever I hold the button down. I have tried doing resets holding down both buttons and tried doing that while I had it plugged into the wall charger but no luck.

Idea?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    If and when an Ipod does quit for good (hard drive crash ... just happened to me) AppleCare rocks. Well worth the initial investment. I have a 4th generation 40gb that died (I tried every obscure method available online to revive it and no go). I called Apple ... they sent out a DHS delivery package. I dropped it in a DHS box and had a brand new Ipod in less than a week. At this point, its much easier for them to just throw you a new Ipod (from old, unsellable stock) than to fix it.