petition to release shelved dilla album

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
dont know if this was already posted here or not....http://www.petitiononline.com/3jdilla/petition to get geffen/mca to release the shelved dilla album.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Background on this album, please?

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I dont have any unfortunatly. This is what the petition looks like:

"To: Geffen Records

We would like to thank you first and foremost for reading this and hopefully for acting upon it. As you might know, the late hip hop producer J Dilla was a prolific man who constantly released great music for his fans right up until his untimely and unfortunate death, earlier this year. One album which J worked very hard on, however, has never seen the light of day, despite many people knowing of its completion and existence. This album was recorded during his days at MCA Records (now merged with Geffen Records).

Many people greatly anticipated its eventual release since the unexplained shelving, but have so far seen no progress. Understandably, and in the wake of J Dilla's passing, we are more anxious than ever. I'm sure you'll agree that it would be a travesty for a man whose life was indefinitely absorbed by music, to have such a vital part of his legacy suppressed. More than ever, people are aware of J Dilla's name, and his contribution to hip hop. Dilla was more than just a producer; he was also a very gifted emcee and this is what he wanted to showcase with the album in question. It was to be his chance to shine over other producers� work who he admired.

The release of this as yet unheard, but important, album would be the right way for Geffen to commemorate his memory.

Thank you for hopefully acting towards this.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned "

The fine print:

"The Petition for the release of J Dilla's MCA album Petition to Geffen Records was created by OkayPlayer and written by Kwasi Osei-Agyeman"

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Man, if thats real they should release that shit. Or at least sell off the masters to someone who would.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Background on this album, please?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it's from around the same time he was doing the stuff with Frank'n'Dank for MCA. I remember him talking about it in an audiointerview somewhere. This would be around 2003. The label got re-arranged and they weren't digging the direction that Dilla and F'n'D were pursuing at the time. They wanted some SV "Fantastic" type of thing, but Dilla was on some new shit they didn't like or whatever. The F'n'D album "48 hours" got shelved, an unofficial version got bootlegged, and the whole ordeal apparently also affected the release of a planned Dilla solo joint as well.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    [ Frank'n'Dank 48 hours

I bet you that shit is hot. Dilla's masterpiece like Group Home was Primo's...