What's the deal with Akon??

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I heard Cipha Sounds talking about how he is polygamist and Akon mentioned that he is a practicing Muslim, and I was like, hmm, that's interesting and then I heard this Akon/Snoop song today and the chorus went:I see you windin n grindin up on that pole,I kno u see me lookin' at you and you already knoI wanna fuck you, you already knowI wanna fuck you, you already know Now I'm thinking that this kind of sentiment must go against a tenet of Islam (or Xtian or Jewish as well), am I wrong? How can you be outspoken about religion and talk like this? Or should I not be surprised by this kind of hypocrisy?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Akon is Senegalese, where the dominant religion is Islam. So if he says he's muslim then I guess he's muslim - unlike Shyne.

• I wanna fuck you

He WANTS to. He's just saying he wants to. "Want" is the key word, he'd never actually do it. Just kidding, I don't know.

I remember a Q-tip interview where he was talking about trying to be a good muslim, but he loved sex too much.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I wanna fuck you

He WANTS to. He's just saying he wants to. "Want" is the key word, he'd never actually do it. Just kidding, I don't know.

I remember a Q-tip interview where he was talking about trying to be a good muslim, but he loved sex too much.

I wanna fuuuuuuuuuuuck you
    but because of strict adherence to my faith- I caaaaaaaaan't

hi T**my!

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    But what's the context of the song, may it's a song about his wife who happens to be a stripper...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    my boy just told me about the Shi'a practice of Nikah Mut???ah--Nikah meaning marriage and Mut'ah meaning pleasure. its basicaly a temporary marriage for those to reap the benifits of extramarital booty.

i know its legitimacy is a pretty hot topic among shi'as, but its still kinda strange. apparently his roommate just came to detroit from overseas, and was dying to get laid. so he talked to his local Mullah (Shi'a equiv to a clergyman) and apparently he thinks its the way to go.

madness.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i didn't know people cared about akon

• But what's the context of the song, may it's a song about his wife who happens to be a stripper...

Righhhhhtt....

• I heard Cipha Sounds talking about how he is polygamist and Akon mentioned that he is a practicing Muslim, and I was like, hmm, that's interesting and then I heard this Akon/Snoop song today and the chorus went:

I see you windin n grindin up on that pole,
    I kno u see me lookin' at you and you already kno
    I wanna fuck you, you already know

Now I'm thinking that this kind of sentiment must go against a tenet of Islam (or Xtian or Jewish as well), am I wrong? How can you be outspoken about religion and talk like this? Or should I not be surprised by this kind of hypocrisy?

Given the number of rappers of all faiths who either thank god prominently in their liner notes or claim to be gods and talk about doing ill shit from selling crack to running trains, I don't think that Akon's pro-fucking-girls-in-clear-heels stance is more than average hypocrisy. I mean, should we expect more from him because he's a Muslim or R&B singer?

• I know a lot of Muslims who have extramarital/premarital sex. I don't think one's religion really has a lot to do with that aspect of human nature.

I like Akon, for some odd reason.

• I wanna fuck you

hi T**my!

But in the clean version, he just wants to looooooove her.

I will admit to being a little shocked when I finally heard the dirty version.

I wanna fuck you

hi T**my!

But in the clean version, he just wants to looooooove her.

I will admit to being a little shocked when I finally heard the dirty version.

I knew there had to be some mushy clean version, but I on Sirius they only play dirty versions and everytime it comes on I'm like "AAAYYYYOOOO"

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Akon & E-40 > Akon & Snoop > Akon & Eminem

• Akon & E-40 > Akon & Snoop > Akon & Eminem

to simplify the math,

Akon & E-40 > Akon & Snoop > Akon & Eminem

Akon's like parsley-- he doesn't really add anything to a dish, but for some reason he's always sitting there on your plate.

• chrischris 287 Posts

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I heard Cipha Sounds talking about how he is polygamist and Akon mentioned that he is a practicing Muslim, and I was like, hmm, that's interesting and then I heard this Akon/Snoop song today and the chorus went:

Now I'm thinking that this kind of sentiment must go against a tenet of Islam (or Xtian or Jewish as well), am I wrong? How can you be outspoken about religion and talk like this? Or should I not be surprised by this kind of hypocrisy?

I really find these kinds of interepretations of people and their own personal relationship with their religion to be misguided and completely unfair.

Can't we give human beings some credit?

Believe it or not, it is completely possible for people of any religion to develop nuanced and personal interpretations of the religion they claim allegiance to. And, believe it or not, these nuanced and personal interpreations of that religion might stray a bit outside the dogma they've been taught is "right." In other words, I don't think there is anything wrong at all with someone practicing a certain religion yet not rigidly adhering to every single rule that the religion proclaims as dogma. In fact, these people are almost always more interesting people than the dogmatic ones that inexorably follow the rules of the faith they practice.

In still other words: if Akon loves Allah and fucking, who the hell cares?

-e

• reskresk 391 Posts
    I heard Cipha Sounds talking about how he is polygamist and Akon mentioned that he is a practicing Muslim, and I was like, hmm, that's interesting and then I heard this Akon/Snoop song today and the chorus went:

I really find these kinds of interepretations of people and their own personal relationship with their religion to be misguided and completely unfair.

Can't we give human beings some credit?

Believe it or not, it is completely possible for people of any religion to develop nuanced and personal interpretations of the religion they claim allegiance to. And, believe it or not, these nuanced and personal interpreations of that religion might stray a bit outside the dogma they've been taught is "right." In other words, I don't think there is anything wrong at all with someone practicing a certain religion yet not rigidly adhering to every single rule that the religion proclaims as dogma. In fact, these people are almost always more interesting people than the dogmatic ones that inexorably follow the rules of the faith they practice.

-e

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    "Just kick it like Tae-Bo"

I hear you and I agree in many ways, but the juxtaposition of this song and what I saw him saying on TV is a little ridiculous to me. That's all. It's okay to insinuate some sort of immoral activity, but just say it like that?

• Believe it or not, it is completely possible for people of any religion to develop nuanced and personal interpretations of the religion they claim allegiance to. And, believe it or not, these nuanced and personal interpreations of that religion might stray a bit outside the dogma they've been taught is "right." In other words, I don't think there is anything wrong at all with someone practicing a certain religion yet not rigidly adhering to every single rule that the religion proclaims as dogma. In fact, these people are almost always more interesting people than the dogmatic ones that inexorably follow the rules of the faith they practice.

-e

So, in other words,

religion=

?

An "interesting" Christian follows maybe seven out of the ten commandments because three don't sit with their "personal interpretations?"

I'm not advocating fundamentalism, but I think this is a bit different from a Muslim having a glass of champagne to celebrate a birthday.

(FYI, I'm not religious, never have been, never will be)

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    I will admit to being a little shocked when I finally heard the clean version.
    I had only heard the dirty version and i was wondering how they would flip the radio edit...haha

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

something about this line gets imprinted in your public mind garden

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

something about this line gets imprinted in your public mind garden

its because he rhymes it with lamborghini Galardo. Or however you spell that shit.

But he came from a country where pretty much most people are muslim. So his interpretation may be different than someone who converts. Like ill say im pretty much a christian. But Im not bound by any particular moral code other than my own sense of whats right and wrong. Its not like its a song dissing muhammed or something.

I dont know a whole lot about muslims though, just that they hate our freedom.

they hate our freedom!!!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

what i thought was great about this record is that when i heard it on saturday morning i never thought that by monday morning the kids at my wifes school would be singing the words to this song. its great to hear 7-9yr old kids singing todays music...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Is this by Akon's dad or something?