MIDI question

wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Alright, so for years i've refused to use computers in the aid of production, i've always stuck to tracking things out and have always found that computers gave me way too many options.Anyway, I've got this Evolution MK-249C Midi keyboard I've borrowed off a friend, I run it usb into my laptop, and i've downloaded a couple of demo soft synth programs like "lounge lizard" which is supposed to be a fender rhodes thing and this other mini moog thing. Now i get that the midi keyboard has to be on the same channel as the program. so i've got it on 2, and the computer is picking up the controller.BUT, how the fuck do i get sound to come out? if i press the keys, it doesn't respond and i've looked at midi websites for dummies and shit but i just can't figure it out. so it's plugged in, programs open, channel is set to 2 on program and keyboard. what else do i do? (damn computers)Any responses would be much appreciated.

Comments

• I think you might just need to set your output preferences in your program so that the sound from the program comes out of the speakers.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    shit you might be right.

let me take a look.

Naw, wasn't that. It has the right audio settings output.

however there's this 'midi port list' thing i've just seen and there's nothing in there. I've got no idea. I'll ask my friend who lent me the keyboard if he has instructions for it.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    What software are you using? Are you using the softsynths as standalone or within a host? If within a host, take care to make sure the midi input is the usb controller, and that the output is the softsynth you want. Other than that, make sure the midi channels are all cool, and it may be interesting to note that some software only works on channel 1, or that midi channels must be chosen within the softsynth.

Ahhh, the things that make our lives easier! It does get easier though...

• snosno 332 Posts
    In addition, you may also wish to check whether you have "armed" or at least enabled the "monitor" button to hear the sound of the synth. Some programs (like Ableton Live) you won't hear anything until you make the synth be heard.

thanks for the replies, i'll check all those things out, i'll get there eventually!

BTW, I'm using softsynths as standalone. I'm trying to start with this lounge lizard one...

Is it better to use them within a host, VST type shit?

• snosno 332 Posts
    If you want to add effects on the synth, having a host is a good idea.