A PLANE CRASHED INTO A BUILDING IN MANHATTAN

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
a plane or helicopter hit a building in Manhattan but it looks like an accident. "not immediately known if it is terrorism." the building is on fire but it looks like it bounced off, didn't go throughturn on the news

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    it's on 72nd street, an apartment building. two apartments are on fire

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Doubt this is terrorist related at all.

• Yeah, apparently it was a small airplane. What a horrible accident.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15223650/

an eyewitness on NY1 is saying it was a small plane

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    all the phones started ringing in my office on 53rd & madison. Family members freaked out by the news. you know how new yorkers do... back to work, people.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    My aunt lived across the street...very eerie feeling...horrible accident indeed.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Since this building is half the size of WTC and the aircraft was a lot smaller as well, then according to the
    National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Federal Building and Fire Safety Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster, this buidling should crumble to pieces and turn into dust in a matter of minutes.

Oh wait....that wont happen because this 50 story building wasnt loaded with explosives. It'll be fine.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Since this building is half the size of WTC and the aircraft was a lot smaller as well, then according to the
    National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Federal Building and Fire Safety Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster, this buidling should crumble to pieces and turn into dust in a matter of minutes.

Oh wait....that wont happen because this 50 story building wasnt loaded with explosives. It'll be fine.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Cory Lidle's plane?!?!?!?

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Plane apparently owned by Corey Liddle (sp) Yankees pitcher.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Cory Lidle's plane?!?!?!?

I just heard the same report. Holy Shit!!!

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    BBC have confirmed he was piloting it and killed, also some speculation another teammate was in it too.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    From ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- A small plane piloted by New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, killing at least four people, authorities said.

Lidle died in the crash.

The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center -- with a loud bang, touching off a raging fire that cast a pillar of black smoke over the city and sent flames shooting from four windows on two adjoining floors.

Large crowds gathered in the street in the largely wealthy New York neighborhood, with many people in tears and some trying to reach loved ones by cell phone.

"I was worried the building would explode, so I got out of there fast," said Lori Claymont, who fled an adjoining building in sweatpants.

Young May Cha, a 23-year-old Cornell University medical student, said she was walking back from the grocery store down 72nd Street when she saw an object out of the corner of her eye.

"I just saw something come across the sky and crash into that building," she said. Cha said there appeared to be smoke coming from behind the aircraft, and "it looked like it was flying erraticaly for the short time that I saw it."

"The explosion was very small. I was not threatened for my life," she added.

Richard Drutman, a professional photographer who lives on the 11th floor, said he was talking on the telephone when he felt the building shake.

"There was a huge explosion. I looked out my window and saw what appeared to be pieces of wings, on fire, falling from the sky," Drutman said. He and his girlfriend quickly evacuated the building.

The plane left New Jersey's Teterboro Airport, just across the Hudson River from the city, at 2:30 p.m., about 15 minutes before the crash, according to officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport. But they said they did not where the aircraft was headed.

FAA spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said the plane was apparently not in contact with air traffic controllers; pilots flying small planes by sight are not required to be in contact.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team to investigate.

Former NTSB director Jim Hall said in a telephone interview he doesn't understand how a plane could get so close to a New York City building after Sept. 11.

"We're under a high alert and you would assume that if something like this happened, people would have known about it before it occurred, not after," Hall said.

Mystery writer Carol Higgins Clark, daughter of author Mary Higgins Clark, lives on the 38th floor and was coming home in a cab when she saw the smoke.

"Thank goodness I wasn't at my apartment writing at the time," she said. She described the building's residents as a mix of actors, doctors, lawyers, writers and people with second homes.

Sgt. Claudette Hutchinson, a spokeswoman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command in Colorado Springs, Colo., said fighter jets "are airborne over numerous U.S. cities and while every indication is that this is an accident, we see this as a prudent measure at this time."

However, all three New York City-area airports continued to operate normally, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Jim Peters said. In Washington, White House spokesman Tony Fratto said neither President Bush nor Vice President Dick Cheney was moved to secure locations.

"All indications are that is an unfortunate accident," said Yolanda Clark, a spokeswoman for Homeland Security's Transportation Security Administration. She said there was "no specific or credible intelligence suggesting an imminent threat to the homeland, at this time."

The crash struck fear in a city devastated by the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Sirens echoed across the neighborhood as about 170 firefighters rushed in along with emergency workers and ambulances. Broken glass and debris were strewn around the neighborhood.

"There's a sense of helplessness," said Sandy Teller, watching from his apartment a block away. "Cots and gurneys, waiting. It's a mess."

The tower was built in the late 1980s and is situated near Sotheby's auction house. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

Several lower floors are occupied by doctors and administrative offices, as well as guest facilities for family members of patients at the Hospital for Special Surgery, hospital spokeswoman Phyllis Fisher said.

No patients were in the high-rise building and operations at the hospital a block away were not affected, Fisher said.

• "I was worried the building would explode, so I got out of there fast," said Lori Claymont, who fled an adjoining building in sweatpants.[/b]

I don't mean to make light of this tragedy at all, but why did the writer of the above article feel it necessary to put girl on blast about her sweatpants? It just seems so unnecessary.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I don't mean to make light of this tragedy at all, but why did the writer of the above article feel it necessary to put girl on blast about her sweatpants? It just seems so unnecessary.

WTF.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    The plane left New Jersey's Teterboro Airport, just across the Hudson River from the city, at 2:30 p.m., about 15 minutes before the crash, according to officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport. But they said they did not where the aircraft was headed.[/b]

FAA spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said the plane was apparently not in contact with air traffic controllers; pilots flying small planes by sight are not required to be in contact.[/b]

x2

Former NTSB director Jim Hall said in a telephone interview he doesn't understand how a plane could get so close to a New York City building after Sept. 11.

i wonder how much FAA is gonna get for this.

• Damn. R.I.P. Cory Lidle.
    I JUST heard him two days ago on Mike and the Mad Dog where they ripped him a new asshole for what they called "beating around the bush" in re: to a recent interview in which Lidle appeared to criticize Torre.
    He denied it and actally sounded a bit unhinged on the radio which led me to initially wonder whether or not he may have comitted suicide.
    Now I'm hearing about a flight instructor being on the plane, etc. and it's sounding more and more like just a sad tragedy.
    I'm watching Mike and the Mad Dog's tv broadcast now and they look FUCKED UP.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    WTF? I can't believe it. I was just thinking about Lidle last week when i was thinking about my favorite A's season when they had Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder, Barry Zito and Lidle in the starting rotation. this is really sad and shhocking

RIP CORY LIDLE

• edubedub 715 Posts
    "I was worried the building would explode, so I got out of there fast," said Lori Claymont, who fled an adjoining building in sweatpants.[/b]

maybe she meant that the plane, and not the building would explode?... that would make more sense - sweatpants, or not.

• Yeah...I was quick to diss the Yanks recently in the Playoffs thread, but this is a sad story. Condolences to Lidle and his family, and the families of all affected by this.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "I was worried the building would explode, so I got out of there fast," said Lori Claymont, who fled an adjoining building in sweatpants.[/b]

If you take the context of the sentence into effect, it was merely used as evidence to the fact that she vacated quickly, i.e. without dressing up to go out.

• "I was worried the building would explode, so I got out of there fast," said Lori Claymont, who fled an adjoining building in sweatpants.[/b]

If you take the context of the sentence into effect, it was merely used as evidence to the fact that she vacated quickly, i.e. without dressing up to go out.

Naw I know man....it just struck my ear as comical. A small part of me is saddened by tht fact that emerging from one's building in sweatpants CLEARLY indicates you did not have time to think before leaving, barely a cut above "fled in PJs" or "fled w/ titties just a swingin'".

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    A plane hits a New York highrise just weeks before the midterm elections. A woman on CNN this morning who witnessed the event said it looked like a "cylinder, it didn't even look like a plane." This is obviously either a cruise missile or a localized controlled demolition.

See in the picture below how the windows are still completely intact. This proves that either it was a small rocket type object or caused by an explosin INSIDE the building.

Below is a picture of Milosevic's belgrade home destroyed by a cruise missile. SEE HOW THE WINDOWS ARE ALSO INTACT.

Here is a picture of another building hit by a cruise missile. See how the flames and smoke curl up from the two windows almost identically.

Finally. Here is a picture of an airplane and a missle. Which one more closely resembles the description by the CNN eye witness who said it looked like a "CYLINDER"?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Are you serious Sabadab?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Sabadabada,

Thank you.

so was dude ridin the missile like Johnny Knoxville holding hands with his flight instructor Wile E Coyote, or what?

Are you serious Sabadab?

you tell me.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are you serious Sabadab?

you tell me.

Two people died in a helicopter crash, and you're sitting on SoulStrut, yanking your conspiracy johnson for NO good reason. You have zero respect their lives and clearly don't know when to shut your mouth.

Are you serious Sabadab?

you tell me.

Two people died in a helicopter crash, and you're sitting on SoulStrut, yanking your conspiracy johnson for NO good reason. You have zero respect their lives and clearly don't know when to shut your mouth.

Ignore the truth. Tool!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are you serious Sabadab?

you tell me.

Ignore the truth. Tool!

Funny, especially considering that you could be banned in a grand total of five mouse clicks.

Are you serious Sabadab?

you tell me.

Ignore the truth. Tool!

Funny, especially considering that you could be banned in a grand total of five mouse clicks.

In that case. Fuck you loser[/b].

I just want to be sure to get that in before i get banned.