North Korea dropped the bomb (NRR)

Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Crap. They took it there.
World Condemns North Korea's Nuclear TestBy THE ASSOCIATED PRESSFiled at 6:12 a.m. ETSEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- The United States and Australia demanded immediate U.N. Security Council action against North Korea for its reported nuclear test, while China condemned its ally for blatantly defying the world.British Prime Minister Tony Blair called the move ''completely irresponsible,'' and his government warned of serious consequences for the isolated regime.The U.N. Security Council planned to discuss the crisis Monday, and the United States and Japan are likely to press for a resolution imposing additional sanctions on Pyongyang.North Korea said it tested its first atomic bomb in an underground explosion Monday morning. The White House said U.S. and South Korean intelligence detected a seismic event at a suspected North Korean nuclear site and were trying to confirm Pyongyang's claims.''A North Korean nuclear test would constitute a provocative act in defiance of the will of the international community,'' said White House spokesman Tony Snow. ''We expect the U.N. Security Council to take immediate actions to respond to this unprovoked act.''''The United States is closely monitoring the situation and reaffirms its commitment to protect and defend our allies in the region,'' he added.China, a longtime North Korea supporter and host of stalled international talks to persuade the fellow communist country to give up its nuclear ambitions, strongly condemned the act.''China expresses its resolute opposition,'' the Chinese Foreign Ministry said. The North ''defied the universal opposition of international society and flagrantly conducted the nuclear test.''Australian Prime Minister John Howard said his government would call on the U.N. Security Council to take ''swift and effective action'' against North Korea, including financial, trade and travel sanctions.''But if the United Nations fails to act effectively against this outrage from North Korea, it will represent a further diminution of its authority,'' Howard said.A Security Council resolution adopted in July after a series of North Korean missile launches imposed limited sanctions on North Korea and demanded that the reclusive communist nation suspend its ballistic missile program -- a demand the North immediately rejected.The resolution bans all U.N. member states from selling material or technology for missiles or weapons of mass destruction to North Korea. It also prohibits all nations from receiving missiles, banned weapons or technology from the North, known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, or DPRK.Britain warned there would be repercussions for the reported nuclear test.''I condemn this completely irresponsible act by the government of the DPRK,'' Blair said in a statement issued by his office. ''This further act of defiance shows North Korea's disregard for the concerns of its neighbors and the wider international community.''The European Union called for ''a decisive international response to this provocative act.'' French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy echoed the appeal.''It is again up to the international community to react very firmly,'' Douste-Blazy told The Associated Press at the United Nations office in Geneva.South Korea, which shares the world's most heavily armed border with the North, said it put its military on high alert.North Korea has created ''a severe situation that threatens stability on the Korean Peninsula and in northeast Asia,'' South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun told journalists after a summit with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.He said the test would make it difficult for Seoul to maintain its efforts to strengthen ties with its communist neighbor.''This is a warning as well as my prediction,'' Roh said. ''Under this situation, it's difficult for South Korea to maintain engagement policy.''Abe said the development and possession of nuclear weapons by North Korea would transform the security environment in the region.''We will be entering a new, dangerous nuclear age,'' said Abe, who is facing his first major foreign policy test since his recent election.Earlier Abe called for a coordinated and levelheaded response.''It is important for Japan and South Korea, along with the United States and China, to work together and send a message to the world,'' he said.Indonesia also condemned the reported test as ''unacceptable under any justifiable reason.''

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuck. Damn dude.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    But should america really worry?

I mean how much oil can we get from Korea.

You guys do know that terrorism has nothing to do with the abiliyt to terrify others. post 9-11 concerns are strictly on some of this shit

This story will fall off our lists of concern just as quickly as thier missle tests did a few months back.

Get with the moral majority

• But should america really worry?

Absolutely!
    Do you really think that the powers that be in Pyongyang would have any quams in selling nuke stuff to those that would seek to do us harm?
    What just happened was, for all intents and purposes, an advert for terrorists worldwide.
    America needs to be VERY worried.
    Not to mention that the Great Leader himself has personally sanctioned terrorist acts in the past.
    See Korean Air Flt 858.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    paul,

My response was pure sarcasm. I'm just imagining this falling to the side of worries for the current US Gov't.

After inventing issues with Iraq I'm sure clear and present issues with a country that has a weapon of massive destruction is a tough thing for the US to actually plot a strategy about.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    *ching* *ching*

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's worse than you can imagine:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200610/kaplan-korea

• *ching* *ching*

The Albright photo illustrates an interesting aspect of this. Kim Jong-il has always been a tyrant and appeared to be a crackpot, but before the U.S. stirred him up by labelling North Korea a member of the "axis of evil" during the run-up to U.S. attacks on Iraq, the country seemed a lot more interested in becoming part of the international community rather than remaining a rogue state. I think the test is emblematic of another huge foreign policy failure by the current U.S. administration.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    *ching* *ching*

The Albright photo illustrates an interesting aspect of this. Kim Jong-il has always been a tyrant and appeared to be a crackpot, but before the U.S. stirred him up by labelling North Korea a member of the "axis of evil" during the run-up to U.S. attacks on Iraq, the country seemed a lot more interested in becoming part of the international community rather than remaining a rogue state. I think the test is emblematic of another huge foreign policy failure by the current U.S. administration.

Interesting point--it reminds me of Qaddafi, actually. Although the Bush administration talking point is that Qaddafi disarmed because of the invasion of Iraq, the actuality is that he had been talking about disarmament for a while because he was tired of being the leader of a rogue state and dealing with sanctions and international scorn and yadda yadda and wanted to become a part of the international community. But how things like this shake out depends--to a somewhat disturbing degree--on the personalities of the people involved.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    You have to admit the humorous irony in Bush blasting another country for going against the wishes of the international commuinity.

Kim is just folling in the foot steps of his father Menta Lee Ill.

• *ching* *ching*

Sadadadablahblah talking point alert: "It's all the Dems' fault!"

• Any Koreans on here?

My South Korean hommies all take a certain twisted pride in Lil Kim's &reg reckless independence. A Korean dude told me this weekend that he sees Kim's acquisition of the bomb as somewhat of a victory for all Koreans, since it was Koreans scientists that achieved this (never mind that the plans were sold to them by a Pakistani).

Anyway I know the times they are a-changin' in the South and the younger cats aren't really on board the US-led anti-N. Korean tip like their parents were.

But still, South Koreans have got to recognize how whack this development is, right?

Kim Jong Il: the real Queen Bitch.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I can tell you that the Japanese are fretting about this though. This is crazy.

Is there a possibility that North Korea would attack neighboring asian countries or the US directly? and under what circumstances? or is it through the sale of these nukes to terrorists that are the primary worry? plaese to drop knowledge.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Is there a possibility that North Korea would attack neighboring asian countries or the US directly? and under what circumstances? or is it through the sale of these nukes to terrorists that are the primary worry? plaese to drop knowledge.

Japan is shook for sure and is no doubt thinking of arming Japan with nuclear weapons now that North Korea has had their little demonstration. Abe Shinzo is going to have a hectic first couple of weeks as the new Prime Minister! Japan already has a huge stockpile of refined uranium that can be used to produce nuclear weapons. Abe and his crew are now trying to figure out what the international community???s response will be if they start to manufacture nuclear weapons. Does Japan have the technology? I am sure Mitsubishi already has the plans ready to start building nuclear bombs.

Japan is shook for sure and is no doubt thinking of arming Japan with nuclear weapons now that North Korea has had their little demonstration. Abe Shinzo is going to have a hectic first couple of weeks as the new Prime Minister! Japan already has a huge stockpile of refined uranium that can be used to produce nuclear weapons. Abe and his crew are now trying to figure out what the international community???s response will be if they start to manufacture nuclear weapons. Does Japan have the technology? I am sure Mitsubishi already has the plans ready to start building nuclear bombs.

Word.

Abe Shinzo is going to have a hectic first couple of weeks as the new Prime Minister!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yup, this is a bummer for sure.

NK will have the bomb for a long long time. Those who are most scared today may be closest allies in 15 years, and visa a versa.

Japan will certainly test a bomb in 6 months. If they need help, which I doubt, we will surely supply it. It is better that they have their own nuclear umbrella, than forcing us to protect them. (This is not my opinion, I am just guessing what is going on in the executive branch, which I think would be consistent with almost any president.)

Once Japan tests a bomb look for Indonesia and Australia to join in.

This is clearly a major failure for Bush. He all but declared war on NK in 2002 with his Axis Of Evil declaration. One of the first things he did when coming into office was to cancel standing agreements with NK and call for 6 party talks. This would have been a great strategy if it had worked, but it failed. I don't mean to engage in partisan attacks. Clearly India and Pakistan's nuclear tests were a failure of the Clinton administration.

I have a friend who went to North Korea in the spring (as a musician on a friendship tour) with Mercy Corps. I just saw his slide show. NK is a very scary and sad place.

Now that they have the bomb they will welcomed into the international community. We can no longer afford to isolate and starve them.

I was 8 years old in 1964 when I first realized that disarmament is the only path that makes any sense. I believe that more today than ever.

Dan

I think Kim Jung Ill (?) is most concerned with holding power. I think he is looking for protection from US attack. Bush has essentially declared war on NK.

Both scenarios are possible. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but the danger of NK using or sharing technologies/weapons is always there. NK is in desperate need of cash, so any country or organization with enough $$$ could get what they want, I would think.

To build intercontinental missiles takes a rocket scientist, but any physicist can build a bomb. Or so it would seem.

"North Korea is a regime arming with missiles and weapons of mass destruction, while starving its citizens.

Iran aggressively pursues these weapons and exports terror, while an unelected few repress the Iranian people's hope for freedom.

Iraq continues to flaunt its hostility toward America and to support terror...

States like these, and their terrorist allies, constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world. By seeking weapons of mass destruction, these regimes pose a grave and growing danger. They could provide these arms to terrorists, giving them the means to match their hatred. They could attack our allies or attempt to blackmail the United States. In any of these cases, the price of indifference would be catastrophic."

I remember when I heard this, I turned to my wife and asked "did he just declare war on North Korea?"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Maybe, what you can label through simple photos as "a very scary and sad place", is the very reason their leadership has been included in some ridiculous "buzz word", headline making phrase like "Axis of Evil"?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Guys, lighten up. We have one weapon in our arsenal that cannot ever be defeated. Read on:

It was either that or the Care Bear Stare.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Maybe, what you can label through simple photos as "a very scary and sad place", is the very reason their leadership has been included in some ridiculous "buzz word", headline making phrase like "Axis of Evil"?

Well, the Far West Side of Chicago can be "a very scary and sad place," too. But it's not a country run by a government who has just tested a nuclear weapon. That's the difference. And it was BushCo that dropped the Axis of Evil line in the first place. Or did I just totally miss your point? (always a possibility)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    beyond

if it's going down we better cut back on the mcdonalds.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Well, the Far West Side of Chicago can be "a very scary and sad place," too. But it's not a country run by a government who has just tested a nuclear weapon. That's the difference. And it was BushCo that dropped the Axis of Evil line in the first place. Or did I just totally miss your point? (always a possibility)

You missed the point.....a country like North Korea is very protective about what you see in regards to the average person's everyday life. You can only see and photograph "approved" footage as dictated by the government....so if the GOOD stuff they are wanting to show you is "sad and scary" you can only imagine what the bad stuff looks like.

And yes, you're right............ some idiot member of the current administration came up with the "axis of evil" buzz phrase.

I'd just go with Egomaniacal Facist Dictator....but that's probably even more politically incorrect than Axis Of Evil.

Of course after burning one down and a couple of beers, I may very well not even HAVE a point for you to miss.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    the clip you posted is from a japanese tv show, not sure if they're showing Korean tae kwon do, though

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Here's the one I originally posted:

Some of the same footage is in there so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I don't speak Japanese or Korean. :/

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Of course after burning one down and a couple of beers, I may very well not even HAVE a point for you to miss.

Heh. I wish that I was young enough to start with all that tomfoolery. Wasted, coddled youth.

Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to say was I agree with Guzzo's point that we (by 'we' I mean soceity, media, politics) will quickly adjust and not worry about this next week. I was really mystified that when India tested their nuke, no one blinked. Blow jobs and text messages make much better topics of conversations than the impending destruction of the world.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I don't think you need to worry about North Korea using the bomb anytime soon. The more pressing issue, as Paul pointed out, is that North Korea will sell the technology to other countries to earn hard $$$. That's the main problem posed by N. Korea's actions.

As far as Japan going nuclear, they would put all of Asia in an uproar. WWII is still very alive for many Asian countries, especially China, and they would go ape shit if Japan tried to make that move.

I don't think you need to worry about North Korea using the bomb anytime soon. The more pressing issue, as Paul pointed out, is that North Korea will sell the technology to other countries to earn hard $$$. That's the main problem posed by N. Korea's actions.

As far as Japan going nuclear, they would put all of Asia in an uproar. WWII is still very alive for many Asian countries, especially China, and they would go ape shit if Japan tried to make that move.

If NK went nuclear we would go ape shit, but they did it anyway. Like I said; Japan, Indonesia, Australia.

Nukes are not a short term problem. If they (or someone else) use the bomb soon, or 50 years from now, the out come is same.

• Does Japan have the technology? I am sure Mitsubishi already has the plans ready to start building nuclear bombs.

I very seriously believe that Japan could quite easily become nuclear-ready within a matter of weeks.
    Believe that!

face melt indeed.

beyond

if it's going down we better cut back on the mcdonalds.

ohhhweee. that is hardcore. North Korean athletes in the Olympics are tough as shit as well.