how long have you listened to a RUNOUT GROOVE

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Half an hour here, if I'm really focused and don't want to get up and flip it over. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You need more Jamaican records in your life. The runout groove is on the label

• I have fallen asleep in an intoxicated state and had a LP play the run out groove for about 4 hours.
    More people should have put closed loops on the run out groove to cater for the stoners etc.
    There are a few records around that did this and the Beatles may have been one of the first.

From Rollling stone article

And the famous "Inner Groove" - the snippet of pointless conversation that sticks in the album's run-out groove and that was not included in the original American version of "Sgt. Pepper" - has an equally zany genesis. Around the time of "Sgt. Pepper's" release, McCartney explains, "a lot of record players didn't have auto-change. You would play an album and it would go, 'Tick, tick, tick,' in the run-out groove - it would just stay there endlessly. We were whacked out so much of the time in the Sixties - just quite harmlessly, as we thought, it was quite innocent - but you would be at friends' houses, twelve at night, and nobody would be going to get up to change that record player. So we'd be getting into the little 'tick, tick, tick,': 'It's quite good, you know? There's a rhythm there.' We were into Cage and Stockhausen, those kind of people. Obviously, once you allow yourself that kind of freedom . . . well, Cage is appreciating silence, isn't he? We were appreciating the run-out groove! We said, 'What if we put something, so that every time it did that, it said something?' So we put a little loop of conversation on."

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    this heat and clear light symphony have some nice runout grooves. I can listen to them for hours.

• Slayer "reign In blood" rain falling in run out, I have fallen asleep to that and woke the next morning with it still going.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I like to mix different run-out grooves and that??s some minimal dub shit for real. There??s a lot of variety in run-out grooves and it??s i.e. fun to create some phase shifts.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    The 1st Gong record has cool loops in the run out groove.

To answer your question tho, "listened"--- maybe a 1/2 hr.
    but I've passed out asleep for 6hrs or so and woke up to that tsskkk....tsskkk....

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Unfortunately this happens from time to time as I enjoy sleeping pills with my ambient and private new age raers.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Half an hour here, if I'm really focused and don't want to get up and flip it over.

tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick. tick... hiss...... tick.

this is usually a daily occurance for me. either that or some loop i just recorded and playback...then get involved in some other shit and dont even realize ive been listening to the same 3 second loop for an hour

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    When I was a kid and had an old stereo with repeating-arm
    turntable, I would go to sleep with Beatles albums playing
    over over over all night long. One night I fell asleep with
    the "Hey Jude" 45 on repeat. That freaking song was in my head
    for a MONTH.

• I just like reading the notes that engineers press into the runout groove...
    next to the serial numbers, ya mean?

• repeating-arm turntable

• I have fallen asleep to a very rare record and woke up the next morning with it still going. 8-9 hours!

• iconicon 86 Posts
    Wouldn't say listened to it, but I once left a record play the run out groove so long that the needle carved into the wax and left a nice trail of cocaine-looking dust around the label.

• Wouldn't say listened to it, but I once left a record play the run out groove so long that the needle carved into the wax and left a nice trail of cocaine-looking dust around the label.

No sniff?