Big Daddy Kane = GOAT?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Among other things, 2Pac upped the ante on rap as a religious experience.

So does that make him the greatest rapper or the greatest religious leader?

This is kind of like when our current president said that Jesus Christ was his favorite philosopher.

Except that Shied is moderately more articulate than that guy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Also, I find it interesting that the Austin Project Blowed Den Leader would favor popular impact over technical prowess.

Those who refuse to recognize the technical prowess of 2Pac should find interest in taking long walks off of short piers.

• Day, you should come up with some Cold Chillin'-era BDK remixes.

Ha! You know I already have

3 different versions of RAW in one evening could be a good look.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    It's A Big Daddy Thing" was always my favorite Kane album. Raw (Live) =

I believe you are referring to "Wrath of Kane".....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Where would Kool G. Rap rank? He's got tons of classics too and I would say he was just as influential, if not more so.

Supposedly, G Rap fathered Kane's style, while Kane added the ladies' man twist (no Tim Meadows).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Also, I find it interesting that the Austin Project Blowed Den Leader would favor popular impact over technical prowess.

Those who refuse to recognize the technical prowess of 2Pac should find interest in taking long walks off of short piers.

You would seriously put him in even the same stratosphere as kane?

Chillax, dude--it's not like saying he's on the same level as Ninja Fish!

Hell yes, are you kidding?

2Pac pioneered so many completely original money flows that other mc's are merely attempting to copy nowadays.

And where I'm from, people worship Pac's talent even moreso than his image.

Chillax, dude--it's not like saying he's on the same level as Ninja Fish!

Not to beat a dead horse, but did I see you call JT's new one r-n-b album of the year the other day?

I take it you never picked up Anthony Hamilton's latest, let alone the Rochelle Terrell demo.

original money flows

• completely original money flows

pink shirt

and

duppy ranks

pink shirt

and

duppy ranks

= completely original money, son

Please do try us

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    2Pac pioneered so many completely original money flows that other mc's are merely attempting to copy nowadays.

again, are you arguing influence or proficiency?

And where I'm from, people worship Pac's talent even moreso than his image.

Now this is rather shocking. Over here in Hipsterville people are only interested in his image.

Actually, they're only interested in one specific image of diplo wearing a tupac t-shirt that ran in the fader once.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    original money flows

Wait...he originally bit his flows from Money B?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Oregeno Flows?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Kane was and STILL is a great MC. And on top of that, dude was mad chill when I hung out with him (many years ago, mind you). BDK revolutionized MCin'!!!! (cuing up "Set it Off").

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Warm It Up Kane ranks among one of my favoritest songs ever. That and I Can Do It Right. The beats on both of those are fucking ridiculous.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm highly disappointed by the lack of BDK religious imagery currently available on the world wide web but he's easily in my top 5 of all time. There's a strong argument for putting him at the very top of the list.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Kool Keith > 2Pac

Dr.Octagon begat Andre 3000.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

'original money flows' is almost as good as 'tasty jazztronica served by dj chicken'

Kool Keith > 2Pac

I implore you: please be serious

Dr.Octagon begat Andre 3000.

No, that would be another dude with an outre fashion sense that did his best work during the eighties.

But that still doesn't mean that anyone can justifiably introduce him into a discussion of the greatest MCs of all time.

Ask any MC of his Ultra era and they'll tell you Keith contributions.

You might not acknowledge Dr.Octagon cause of its Backpack sensabilities, but name any MC to reignite his fan base after his initial run.

Kane?
    Kool G Rap?
    Rakim?

Contributions............

Abstraction
    New Cadances
    Aliases
    Proto-Horrorcore

Truthfully I know its my Private Mind Garden pick.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I'm highly disappointed by the lack of BDK religious imagery currently available on the world wide web but he's easily in my top 5 of all time. There's a strong argument for putting him at the very top of the list.

One of the things about Kane is when he was on top of his game, he basically had it ALL... voice, style, attitude, lyricism, comedy, conciousness, schitt for the ladies, battle rhymes, party schytt, you name it. Even dance steps! Really no major weaknesses that I can think of. Whereas dudes like say a Rakim or Slick Rick were undoubtedly masters of what they did, what they excelled at was pretty much ALL that they did (with a few exceptions, of course, like Ra's "Mahogany"). His reign was a reeeeal short one, though... seems like after the AIDS rumour (and a few bad career moves that shortly followed) everything just went downhill for dukes afterwards. He definitely was my favorite solo emcee from back in that era, regardless.

(other than me, of course )

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    No, that would be another dude with an outre fashion sense that did his best work during the eighties.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ... seems like after the AIDS rumour (and a few bad career moves that shortly followed) everything just went downhill for dukes afterwards.

That reminds me - I remember seeing him around that time on Pump It Up in a limo with Dee Barnes rocking a poncho and a cast on his arm.

Definitley

• I'd say so.

WUZ POPEN SOULSTRUT FAMILY YES I ACTUALLY SPENT THE 2 HOURS IT TAKES TO LOG ON HERE TO SAY THIS

COSIGN![/b]

From another poster on another board...

see thats the thing...people who dont think pac is lyrical aint listening to that boy...he talks about shit and people have no clue he's talkin about...its like he's talkin in a code that u hafta figure out...like the bible...pac was biblelyrical[/b]..

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

One of the things about Kane is when he was on top of his game, he basically had it ALL... voice, style, attitude, lyricism, comedy, conciousness, schitt for the ladies, battle rhymes, party schytt, you name it. Even dance steps! Really no major weaknesses that I can think of. Whereas dudes like say a Rakim or Slick Rick were undoubtedly masters of what they did, what they excelled at was pretty much ALL that they did (with a few exceptions, of course, like Ra's "Mahogany"). His reign was a reeeeal short one, though... seems like after the AIDS rumour (and a few bad career moves that shortly followed) everything just went downhill for dukes afterwards. He definitely was my favorite solo emcee from back in that era, regardless.

Yeah he truly did burn brightly but oh so briefly and now seems to be relegated to no more than a footnote in rap history. Great quite from Ice-T on Wikipedia about him:

To me, Big Daddy Kane is still today one of the best rappers. I would put Big Daddy Kane against any rapper in a battle. Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, any of them. I actually met Jay-Z with Kane. Kane brought Jay-Z over to my house. But nobody wants to see Kane. I could take 'Raw' right now and put it up against any record [from today]. Kane is one of the most incredible lyricists, the most real cat if you ever get a chance to meet him. Straight out of Brooklyn, soft-spoken and he will devour you on the mic. I don't want to try to out-rap Big Daddy Kane. I may out-dress him, but I'm not gonna try to out-rap him. Big Daddy Kane can rap circles around cats

From another poster on another board...

see thats the thing...people who dont think pac is lyrical aint listening to that boy...he talks about shit and people have no clue he's talkin about...its like he's talkin in a code that u hafta figure out...like the bible...pac was biblelyrical[/b]..

Shouldn't that be Biblyrical?