Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm impressed - who's you dad?

Double Dutch Founder

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm impressed - who's you dad?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

great video - but hearing that song again makes me think why McClaren isn't as regarded as David Byrne or Paul Simon for his Afro-pop fusion. Haters take a chill...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    hearing that song again makes me think why McClaren isn't as regarded as David Byrne or Paul Simon for his Afro-pop fusion. Haters take a chill...

Ok, but start a thread trying to appreciate Paul Simon's African
    recordings or even Byrne's Brazil comps, and you'll receive as much
    if not more hatting responses. And maybe with good reason.

hearing that song again makes me think why McClaren isn't as regarded as David Byrne or Paul Simon for his Afro-pop fusion. Haters take a chill...

Ok, but start a thread trying to appreciate Paul Simon's African
    recordings or even Byrne's Brazil comps, and you'll receive as much
    if not more hatting responses. And maybe with good reason.

Mind you, Paul Simon and David Byrne both based a fat part of their careers on the world music angle while McLaren only used it as a sound for a track or two.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    great video!
    that shit is crazy.

A couple of more tidbits.....

My sister is in the video. I used to ball in that gym for real!!!My first Dunk.

Two of the girls on the yellow team in the video went on to become -
    the 90's New Jill Swing/R&B group EX- Girlfriend. They jump Double Dutch in -
    their own videos as well.

Tisha and Monica - the sistas on the right were DD champions that went around
    the world w/ my father.

Im in the process of securing my father's gold/platinum award for Duck Rock that McLaren gave him.

"Its in deep storage, and I dont feel like diggin for it."

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Im in the process of securing my father's gold/platinum award for Duck Rock that McLaren gave him.

"Its in deep storage, and I dont feel like diggin for it."

• Dj Dusk (RIP) back in the day when we was kids used to go by duckRock, he changed to DjDusk & never looked back... miss that fucker...

He used to spin as Duck Rock in Santa Cruz, too. Wrote Dusk with our crew. MB for life. Miss you Dusk.

Batmon, what did your dad have to do with the Malcom McClaren record? I had the Buffalo Gals maxi single on cassette. I was about 10 years old at the time.

Batmon, what did your dad have to do with the Malcom McClaren record? I had the Buffalo Gals maxi single on cassette. I was about 10 years old at the time.

Malcolm Mclaren would call my house to speak to my dad about Double Dutch.
    The cover of the single for Double Dutch was photographed @ my high school.My pops arranged for some DD teams to do their thang for the video. So my connection to Duck Rock is special. He send a handful of promotional copies to my house before the Lp dropped. I never considered it a pure HipHop album but seminal to the spread of the culture.

• Sorry, I thought this was the beginning of the thread. This is an old one I participated in before. I hate how when you click the topic it goes to page 2.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    hip Hop classic? I say HELL YEAH!

Malcolm McClaren Hip-hop visionary no doubt!

I always liked the album, especially the WFST skits. There's certainly a touch of carpetbaggeury about it - in fact, there's a touch of carpetbaggeury about most of McLaren's post-Pistols projects - but for a lot of people outside of the five boroughs, myself included, the "Buffalo Gals" video was probably their first sight of anything resembling hip-hop culture as it was then, even if much of what was on show had been filtered through McLaren and Vivienne Westwood's aesthetic sensibilities. It probably deserves honorary classic status for that alone.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    Sorry, I thought this was the beginning of the thread. This is an old one I participated in before. I hate how when you click the topic it goes to page 2.

Yeah, I thought it was a new thread too.

I'm just glad I didn't son myself by contradicting what I posted a year ago.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Anyway, "Duck Rock" - great record, even if most of the work was done by the same Trevor Horn-helmed team of musos and technicians that later became the Art Of Noise.

Amen. To me, Trevor Horn, Anne Dudley and JJ Jeczalik are the real unsung heroes of McLarens's hiphop appropriation (along with the World's Famous Supreme Team and the uncredited South African musicians, of course).

As far as I know, a lot of the Into Battle/Who's Afraid stuff was recorded in between the Duck Rock sessions. "She's Looking Like A Hobo", "D'ya Like Scratchin'", "Beat Box", "Close (To The Edit)" - that whole sound they were bringing to the table in 82-84 was a huge influence on me.

The off-kilter cut'n'paste element that I think Jeczalik and engineer Gary Langan were primarily responsible for was a real eye-opener to me back then. That was my first introduction to sampling, and it still sounds fresh today. It hadn't even really proliferated to hiphop yet, probably because of the ridiculous price tag (about ??27.000 in 1983) of the Fairlight CMI IIx that Horn and his cronies had access to.

I guess McLaren's role as a concept-maestro/carpetbagger is what brought the music to the masses, but IMO the knob twisters/musicians/vocalists are what gave his "project" staying power. When I hear "D'ya Like Scratchin'" I hear Anne Dudley's piano lines, Jeczalik's weirdo sample techiques and The Supreme Team on the mic, not so much MacLaren.

This reminds me that I need to cop that Art Of Noise boxset.