Internet Gambling Bill (NRR)

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
What's up with this? Do I need to get my money out of Party Poker and Poker Stars?

Comments

• Is there a penalty for doing so? If not, then yeah you should do that just ot be safe.

My boy saw a couple hundred disappear as one of the sites he uses folded over night in anticipation of litigation. Of course, his was a sports gambling site.

Ultimately this bill will not succeed in my opinion, but better safe than sorry right?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Get your money out while you can. I've heard rumors of people having their accounts closed and their money was NOT refunded.

In related news:

"A surprise move by Congress to ban online gambling in the United States
    caused a US$7-billion stock market meltdown yesterday..."

http://tinyurl.com/q8x67

• man i just turned 35 into a 100 on stars in the last 2 days, do i really need to get my money out NOW?

• Yeah, I'm cashing out when I get home. I'm gonna have them send me a check. I hope I actually get them.

• i used NETeller to deposit the money, i opted for a check with a 2 dollar "fee".
    oh well....

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    chicken little syndrome going on here pretty much.....

there are certain sites saying F YOU america and shutting down to US citizens almost instantly, but there is also a group of sites staying open to us, and pledging to see this through. apparently there is a 270 day period after the bill get signed where the sites will have a chance to decide what to do, so im not worried for a while.....

as for this whole situation...

• chicken little syndrome going on here pretty much.....

there are certain sites saying F YOU america and shutting down to US citizens almost instantly, but there is also a group of sites staying open to us, and pledging to see this through. apparently there is a 270 day period after the bill get signed where the sites will have a chance to decide what to do, so im not worried for a while.....

as for this whole situation...

The reasoning is lame. "Internet gambling has ruined families" moral steez. I hate that shit. Let me smoke my weed while we're at it....

I hear ya thrope, but since I hardly play online anymore, I think I'll get the majority of my scrill now and maybe leave a lil' for the occasional online tourney, which is all I really like to play anyhow.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Get your money out while you can. I've heard rumors of people having their accounts closed and their money was NOT refunded.

In related news:

"A surprise move by Congress to ban online gambling in the United States
    caused a US$7-billion stock market meltdown yesterday..."

http://tinyurl.com/q8x67

• The reasoning is lame. "Internet gambling has ruined families" moral steez. I hate that shit. Let me smoke my weed while we're at it....

It's inane logic. I read some story about the bill and there was some Republican stooge talking about how online gambling was a scourge. I think read the story again and everytime it said "online gambling" I replaced it with "alcohol" and oddly enough the story still held true, yet I don't see any fast bans on alcohol coming. Of course, they tried that once before and it failed miserably, and I think the same is true of online gambling. If people want to gamble they'll find a way.

The other thing that irks me is the hypocrisy surrounding the whole gambling thing. Online gambling? Illegal and horrible for you! Going to the race track and betting on the ponies though? Absolutely kosher. Hell, you can even place bets for horse races online now! You can place bets with an automated system on your telephone. Tell me how this is less convenient and tempting than online gambling. And then I can walk into any gas station or grocery store around here and buy lottery tickets, both scratch-off and lotto style. Again, these things are just temptations for the uneducated and poor for the most part so how are those less of a problem than internet gambling?

I guess I take this bill kind of personally as I enjoy playing poker and once I have a job and some expendable income I was planning to try my hand at playing for money. Notice I said "once I have a job" because I'm a responsible adult and won't start putting money at risk that I can't spare. Is it my fault there's people out there who can't control themselves? Compulsive behavior can manifest itself in all kinds of activities and ways. I'm also just kind of tuned into the hypocrisy because I'm within 5 miles of *two* horse tracks where you can go and find tons of sad looking people betting on the telecasts everyday. You just know most of these guys are broke, scraping together their money to bet on a pony to redeem themselves. Utter hypocrisy, I tell you.