Jazz Pressings - Originals

iconicon 86 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I know for the most part how the sequence of Blue Note pressings goes:Lexington Address -> 47 W. 63rd Address -> New York USA Address -> Division of Liberty -> Division of Univeral (all blue/white labels)Then the modern blue/black and baby blue/black labels.Is there a similar sequence for Prestige and Impulse?Prestige would be something like yellow/black labels -> blue labels with trident at the right -> blue labels with trident at the top -> purple labels -> green labelsCan anyone elaborate, especially with Impulse.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Impulse!

Black/orange > Black w/ red band > rainbow label > black w/ neon logo

could have the last two switched...

• iconicon 86 Posts
    Do you know if the orange/blacks are Van Gelder masterings and future pressings aren't?

• could have the last two switched...

Yeah you do. Pretty sure the "neon" logo was mid-70s while the blue/green label was the equivalent of the Blue Note UA "Note" pressing.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Everything I saw at 1/2 Price was 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th pressings....only a couple of RCA titles were OG...of course the later 60's/70's stuff was original too.

could have the last two switched...

Yeah you do. Pretty sure the "neon" logo was mid-70s while the blue/green label was the equivalent of the Blue Note UA "Note" pressing.

that's right... my late steely dan's are rainbows...

Do you know if the orange/blacks are Van Gelder masterings and future pressings aren't?

hmmm... do Impulse!'s have RVG stamps?

• iconicon 86 Posts
    Depends on what day you were there. There were some Blue Note New York pressings.

But yeah, Impulse I'm not so familiar with and there's a ton.

Did you get anything worth mentioning? Weekly jazz finds post?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Depends on what day you were there. There were some Blue Note New York pressings.

Absolutely....I got there late.....I saw plenty of Liberty & United Artist NYC address pressings.....at $20.00 just a little too steep......I bought one LP and it wasn't from the jazz score.....Bobby Lester on Columbia.

Pulled an OG Lee Morgan "lee-way" from there last month for $14.98 so I guess I was jaded.

• Do you know if the orange/blacks are Van Gelder masterings and future pressings aren't?

hmmm... do Impulse!'s have RVG stamps?

Yes