F**K UHAUL

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
the begining of the saga...I go to the Uhaul facilty a 1/2 mile from my house to pick up a truck I reserved.they tell me "YOUR TRUCK" (I havent rented it yet, how is it MY truck") had its battery stolen from it last night. I say "Well, put a new battery in it" "we cant do that" WTF!!!!???#1"give me another truck""those trucks are for our other customers"WTF??!!?#2"we sent your reservation to another Uhaul facility..the one on N. WATKINS(about 12 miles away)"I tell them "you charge by the mile, this is going to cost me about $30 extra""sorry, this is NOT OUR PROBLEM" WTF!!!???#3I call the other Uhaul facility..."we have no reservation for you"WTF!!??#4but we have a truck that came in to be repaired and it is finished, do you want this one?" i say "If it is road worthy and functional, I will take it"I go up there and rent the truck.AS I PULL OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY OF THE UHAUL FACILTY IT BREAKS DOWN ABOUT 200 YARDS DOWN THE ROAD.naturally, I walk back to the Uhaul facility and tell them this. They say "SORRY, THIS IS NOT OUR PROBLEM(WTF!!!???!) YOU HAVE TO CALL ROADSIDE ASSITANCE"I ask, since I just was given an obviously poorly repaired truck, how come you cant give me another truck"SORRY, THOSE TRUCKS ARE FOR OUR OTHER CUSTOMERS(I AM GETTING SICK OF THIS FUCKING PHRASE) also a "mechanic" has to determine if the truck is repairable, if it is you have to wait until thie truck is repaired, if it isnt repairable, the mechanic makes the decision to give you antoher truck.the mechanic is there and he wont even look me in the eye. But, he can only be "dispatched" by roadside assitance. I am in the fucking twilight zone, "THE TRUCK IS NOT OUR PROBLEM??!!?!?"So, following their stupid protocol, I call roadside assitance and the lady on the other end (who I have to add, can barely speak english-not that there is anything wrong with that per se, but in this situation/job I believe it is imperative that the person be able to this)asks me where the truck is. I tell her "southbound on N.Watikins, 200 yards from the Uhaul facility" she responds"Sir, I need a more SPECIFIC location so the mechanic can find you"I tell her, I cannot give her a MORE SPECIFIC location, in fact the "Mechanic" can see the truck from the parking lot"Sir, I need a more specific location.this goes back and forth about a dozen times to the point where i start yelling.I am in the fucking Twilight Zone. A more specific location? this is fucking insane.Also, the lady asks me 3 TIMES if the truck was loaded. I am being a smart ass and tell her "I dont live at the Uhaul facility, did you not listen to me when I said I only had the truck about 2 MINUTES before it broke down???"Then I am told it will be about 4 to 6 hours before the Uhaul mechanic(who is sitting down behind the register jawing on a cell phone) can come look at the truck!!!!!" WTF#3873I am wits end, I am enraged beyond belief. since I have paid for the Damage waiver, I am thinking about walking across the street to the liquor store and buying some everclear and fire-bombing this truck. I reconsider.Finally after making the employees nervous with my enraged 6'5" 250 lb self, they FINALLY fucking let me out of the contract and let me leave with no charges on my card. The truck is finally(it has now been 2 hours) not MY RESPONSIBILTY, even though I only had the truck for about 2 minutes.This was the most insane situation I have ever been in in all my life.I go to Penske where I get a truck that only has 1500 miles on it, a powered liftgate(a godsend) and in which the cab looks like the cockpit of a 747. This thing was pimp.Motherfuck a Uhaul.

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    haha wow...that's some

You should write a letter to U-Haul or some shit, but they'd probably just send you a voucher for your next rental.

• Customer Service in the 21st Century =

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i don't even have to read your story to know i agree with you. uhaul fucked me up a few years ago in a move. they have that shit practically monopolized and can basically screw as many people over as they want. the company policy if you complain is to offer you coupons for your next move. so yeah, FUCK UHAUL. don't get me started on jiffy lube.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    sheesh form what I hear this happens allll the time @ Uhaul. The last time I was there about a month ago a lady in front of me in line had the same exact problem, however she was stranded because someone dropped her off at Uhaul and left her there. When she got in the truck it broke down about a mile away and her ride was long gone...

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Take out the ish about firebombing and paste that post here:

https://www.uhaul.com/customer/feedback/action_form.aspx

and then send it here:

http://www.amerco.com/contact.aspx

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    There was a big story done on UHaul on one of the main shows about 3 months ago. I can't remember which one.

But Uhaul came off looking really really bad. To the point where I would never rent one. That and they come off as a major rip off.

Anyways, they showed how a big portion of their fleet is not road safe and how bad customer service really was.

More people need to see this show. Cause it was crazy...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I had a shitty UHaul experience too.

I rented a truck for my move from Brooklyn to Miami. The guys in the Brooklyn office were cool, no problems there.
    A few hours into the drive down I-95 at 60mph, with the truck fully loaded and my buddy driving, the driver-side tire explodes. Literally explodes. Luckily for us we were on the outside lane as the truck swerved into the grass median dividing the north and south-bound lanes. For a minute I swear we were gonna die. Straight up. We were headed directly for oncoming traffic... thankfully my buddy managed to steer us back around, but it was way too close for my liking.
    So we got out and true enough, the tire had exploded and bent the metal fender down and had also taken out most of the inside wheel well. We called Roadside Assistance and waited 3 hours for the truck driver. He was cool enough, examined the tire (at least what was left of it) and said it should never have been on the truck in the first place as it was too old. He had to bend the fender back out with the tow chain from his rig. We got the replacement tire and headed off again.

2 months later and I get a call from UHaul asking me for $2000.
    "Er, $2000 for what?"
    "For the damage to the vehicle sir"
    "You mean the damage caused by the ineptitude of your employees?"
    "That's not how we see it sir"
    I explained to her exactly what happened, just in case she didn't know all the facts.
    "Well, you're still liable sir"
    "Lady, because of your inept employees not checking the condition of the tires, we almost died. Died. Do you honestly think that for one second i'm going to give you any money?"
    "But the fender was damaged sir. You're liable for that damage"
    "The fender was damaged when your crappy tire EXPLODED and ripped through the wheel well."

She puts me on hold for a few minutes, then comes back.
    "Sir, we'd be willing to settle for $1000 and close this matter"
    "Lady, let me tell you something, and i'm only going to tell you once so listen carefully. I will see you in court. I will countersue you for negligence and endangerment to life. I don't care how much it costs or how long it takes, but there is NO WAY you will ever see another penny from me."

That was one year ago and I haven't heard from them since.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    dont you love those bizarre customer service days when it feels like god took a warm shit on your head. Nothing goes right and if anything can fuck up it will. This has happened to me a few days ago with a bank, and it got to the point of me screaming at this women in front of a entire lobby of people. Also i get this on the phone alot too. Verizon had me running in circles the one day for almost 4 hours. I felt like i was about to have a nervous breakdown after that shit. but thanks for the

i will never mess with uhaul.

• Fuck verizon.

I just appealed a bogus charge on my Capital One statement... and had to inform the "manager" I was connected to of the $4000 in payments I made a week ago. She somehow missed them.

I also told her that if the $75 financing charge was worth losing my business over I would gladly take it elsewhere. She put me on hold for a minute and came back all "very very sorry, we've credited you the total amount and regret any inconvenience."

I'm still moving my business.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I had a really poor experience with Uhaul once.

Show up at 8AM to pick-up my truck as scheduled. The place doesn't open till 10AM and I see NO trucks in their parking lot. This is in Oakland where I was living at the time. They tell me I have to go to San Francisco to pick up a truck. I had just come from SF and now I have to go back. I pick up the truck, move my stuff and then, the next morning, go back to the same place I first went to so I could drop off the truck in Oakland. I had to get it in before some cut off time or I would be charged for two days. I do the night drop thing and everything should be cool.

I look at my credit card statement online a few days later. They charged me for two days. I call and complain. What really pissed me off was the fact that they didn't check-in my truck until 1PM even though they opened at 10AM. So they knew it was sitting there and didn't give a fuck.

Took me three weeks of calling to get my money back.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    If anyone wants a good read...

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff33753.htm

"We get to the first set of lights in Medicine Hat and we notice that Nick isn't slowing down for the red light. As the truck enters the intersection the light turns green and Nick and Marge go barrelling through, swerving around two semi-trucks and eventually coasting to a stop on the shoulder of the road several hundred metres from the set of lights. A very pale Nick and Marge emerge from the truck amazed that they are still alive. "The brakes failed!" decares a very shaken Nick."

The comments are a hoot. Check out Uhaul employees telling them they are at fault for everything.

" For every customer that has problems like you, there are 100 happy customers who had a great rental."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Fuck verizon.

this should be everyone on this boards mantra

fuck slumlord tenant managers too. I got one that refuses to fix our broken bathroom and has refused to fix the garbage disposal for over a month.

His explanatino for doing so came in the form of him saying he was teaching us a lesson. WTF?!?! fix the shit we pay you to fix

I need some fair housing lawstrut help

• explanatino

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this months fishfight

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Hold off your rent payment until he fixes it. In NY you can do this, in fact the laws are very strong in favor of tenants.
    Read more here:
    http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/faq/repairs.html#steps

• explanatino

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

His explanatino for doing so came in the form of him saying he was teaching us a lesson. WTF?!?! fix the shit we pay you to fix

man, learn your lessonina and shut up.

• I'll tell you, we went with a service (http://www.upack.com/) where we packed the end of a trailer full with our stuff, then (here is the best part) drove OUR car from MA to FL.

Never regretted it. The road from NC to FL was littered with penske and uhaul trucks. I stopped counting. Not even joking. My brother's got a story to rival those on that website. Uhaul makes rent-a-wreck look like a chauffered limo service.

• I've used Ryder a few times with no problems. And compared to U-Haul. you get far prettier pictures when you Google image search their company name.

• I need some fair housing lawstrut help

I dunno what tenant rights are like In NYC, but in CA, the landlord usually holds all the cards. Unless it's written in the lease, the landlord does NOT have to fix anything in the apartment unless it affects the well-being of the tenant. The bathroom thing could be in your favor depending on what the problem is.

The garbage disposal could also in your favor if its emitting any sort of bad odor. You could arrange to fix it yourself, save the receipts and charge it against your rent or read the following document carefully. Find your loophole, call this guy out and threaten legal action if he's not wising up. Watch this jerkoff turn in to a handyman real fuckin quick...

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I dunno what tenant rights are like In NYC, but in CA, the landlord usually holds all the cards. Unless it's written in the lease, the landlord does NOT have to fix anything in the apartment unless it affects the well-being of the tenant. The bathroom thing could be in your favor depending on what the problem is.

The garbage disposal could also in your favor if its emitting any sort of bad odor. You could arrange to fix it yourself, save the receipts and charge it against your rent or read the following document carefully. Find your loophole, call this guy out and threaten legal action if he's not wising up. Watch this jerkoff turn in to a handyman real fuckin quick...

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/

*dr**n,

good looking out.

I already saw a few things he's in violation of and I made a phone call earlier today to the fair housing board. Things are starting to look better.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

man, learn your lessonina and shut up.

thank you. i desperately needed that laugh.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Man, on the subject of u-haul hate, they hooked up a trailer to my GMC Safari and dude was wrestling to make the prongs of the cables fit to hook up the lights. After trying and failing he just wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around it. Turns out the problem was that he just didn't put the adapter in and my brake lights/turn signals ended up shorting out. I got the estimate today and it's like $800!

FUCK UHAUL.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    never NEVER use uhaul. going back to about '90, ive been involved with using them on about 12 occasions. 3 went well. 4 were out and out terrible experiences along the lines of the_hook_ups, and the other 5 were "this truck sucks so bad and they didnt have it till hours after they said they would, we got ripped off but what are ya gonna do" experiences. the overall trend is:

ive also had better luck with ryder and penske. Uhaul seriously needs to either go out of biz or totally overhaul their fleet and sorry ass franchising system that results in those horrid customer service/poor maintenence nightmares. its the same vibe as going into a fast food place at a busy time and you can tell 3 people called in sick: huge lines, everybodys pissed off, no ones getting what they want. thats par for the course at uhaul. i have a strong suspicion theres some organized crime at the root of the problem, at least on the eastern seaboard.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i dont think they like to spend the money they make either...the u-haul truck lot in my town is a fucking mud-field with 10 trucks in it. this is right next to the nicest part of town, too

i dont really consider many things eyesores, but this is where i will make an exception.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    From MTV News:

Cassidy was involved in a serious car accident on Wednesday night in New Jersey.
    The rapper was a passenger in an SUV en route to a studio in Yonkers, New York, when a U-Haul truck swerved into oncoming traffic and struck the SUV. The truck crashed into the side of the vehicle that Cassidy was sitting in...