"jeep beats"... plaese define.

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk

this wasn't my thing personally, but what are some essential jeep beats??

i think i like them.

LL Cool J - Boomin' System

Bahamadia - Uknowhowedo

Common Sense - Soul By The Pound

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah i dont really know exactaly what defines a jeep beat, but i was always a big fan of masta ace's slaughtahouse. when i heard that i always though of jeep beats. Or some bdp joints.

• Just about anything Hank Shocklee-related.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    yeah i dont really know exactaly what defines a jeep beat, but i was always a big fan of masta ace's slaughtahouse. when i heard that i always though of jeep beats. Or some bdp joints.

ah yes.

Masta Ace - Born to Roll?

• it's the type of shit that hits, when you pump it in your trunk.

• The "JEEP" Beat predates Masta Ase's records.

Get The Fuck Outta Dodge (Escapism 1991) - Public Enemy

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "If the bass ain't crackin' the vertebrae, it gets no play." - Ngafsh

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tribe - Footprints

I remember Kool G Rap & Dj Polo - Cars being one the proto-car friendly songs.
    Cats started tailoring the production to the car systems.

Just To Get A Rep is another bazooka joint. Benzi box funk!

Get Off The Bandwagon (remix)...

• "If the bass ain't crackin' the vertebrae, it gets no play." - Ngafsh

Plaese to not carpetbag "jeep music" with your west coast raps.

"If the bass ain't crackin' the vertebrae, it gets no play." - Ngafsh

Plaese to not carpetbag "jeep music" with your west coast raps.

I dunno. Seems to me that jeep music more or less means NYC rap done to please the non-NYC rap aesthetic.

Then again, it was probably some Mantronik-produced stuff that Fsh had booming out of his Samarai back when he rapped that line.

• "jeep music" was a decidedly east coast thing - as a kid on the west coast, I didn't really understand it because comparitively the west coast records had way more low end.

I was comparing a slowed-down loop of "Take Off Your Make-Up" to 808 kicks...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Bahamadia - Uknowhowedo?

A chorus that refers to when one is boomin' and boomin' and boomin' in one's jeep does not necessarily a jeep beat make.

• Anyone else seen the Jeep ad with the Nine "steady bouncin' in jeeps on the new york streets" sample? Maybe his name up in lights N-I-N-E is not too far off after all...

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

this wasn't my thing personally, but what are some essential jeep beats??

i think i like them.

ehhh.. not terminator X. It was the sound that pete rock basically created.. slow rolling, 'boom bap', 'ny state of mind' 'serious' beats with horns, piano riffs.. 1990-1992ish - not dancable - lots of rnb joints had the sound.. wreckx n effect, the first mary j blige records (reminisce) - lots of people had a 'jeep beat remix' that always sounded like.. well jeep beats. Basically everyone using the Pete Rock sound.. until it played out around 92-93.. production styles changed to using more than just a piano, horn, or sax lick with a drum machine beat to more wholesale sampling style like loop 8 bars of roy ayers or donald byrd and rhyme on that.

Please don't dis me for being a nerd about this.

ehhh.. not terminator X. It was the sound that pete rock basically created.. slow rolling, 'boom bap', 'ny state of mind' 'serious' beats with horns, piano riffs.. 1990-1992ish

Pete Rock did not CREATE the Jeep Beat. He helped solidify the "sound". Marley Marl predates Pete Rock stuff.
    I wouldnt chalk this up to one dude.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    ehhh.. not terminator X. It was the sound that pete rock basically created.. slow rolling, 'boom bap', 'ny state of mind' 'serious' beats with horns, piano riffs.. 1990-1992ish

Pete Rock did not CREATE the Jeep Beat. He helped solidify the "sound". Marley Marl predates Pete Rock stuff.

I would completely agree with what you just said...

Pete Rock owned it though until its demise.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

I sure hope thats NOT a Ford Bronco on the cover of this album. In The Valley Of The Bronco Beats?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Anyone else seen the Jeep ad with the Nine "steady bouncin' in jeeps on the new york streets" sample? Maybe his name up in lights N-I-N-E is not too far off after all...

That ad makes me want to take a baseball bat to my TV.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I sure hope thats NOT a Ford Bronco on the cover of this album.

My 98 was 87 on a record yo -so now I go Bronco

I think a good example of a "jeep beat" would be something like "Precisely The Right Rhymes" by Gangstarr where the sub goes vrrrrrrrrrrrrrm underneath those slow Brethren drums.

• Harvey drives a Jeep everyday. How dare you--any of you--presume to know what booms better in a Jeep than he.

Keep telling the truth and shaming these devils.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

While I agree. I don't think it was until Low End that tribe played up to the sound.

I would completely agree with what you just said...

Pete Rock owned it though until its demise.

Now what the hell happened with my images

Before cats went BRONCO this was the Jeep of the street....

Blasting Big Daddy Kane's Young Gifted And Black. Or Jungle Bros. - B-side of What U Waitin 4( that bananas instramental joint)
    The SUV phenomenon came later.

• Jeeps beats pretty much defined back in the late 80's to the 90's is any song that 808,s in it. Back in NY at that time the Jeep wrangler or the Suzuki samurai was the car to have & you had to have 12" woofers to bang these beats in. Jeep beats was also played in Cadillacs, Olds 98's, Park Avenues, etc....

Harvey drives a Jeep everyday. How dare you--any of you--presume to know what booms better in a Jeep than he.

Keep telling the truth and shaming these devils.

DJ Fury - Boom Contest, from this tape...

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Here are two mixes I did were I tryed to stick to the idea of Jeep Beats. 90s instrumentals mixed with contemporary beats.

Have fun

https://www.mixcloud.com/FalkSchacht/falk-schacht-jeep-beats-music-is-instrumental-vol1/

https://www.mixcloud.com/FalkSchacht/falk-schacht-jeep-beats-vol2/

Peace
    Hawkeye