Recommend Drum & Bass or House or Jungle Comps

Scratch_n_SniffScratch_n_Sniff 353 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I started a DJ club at my university (Carnegie Mellon) on some hip hop shit, and attracted a bunch of dudes (pause) who are into electronic music. I already spent part of our budget on rap, battle breaks and Ultimate Breaks n Beats. Now I feel obligated to buy some electronic music for the aspiring raver DJs, but I don't want to spend our money on a bunch of 12" singles, and I also don't know shit about house/d&b/jungle.What are some good comps I could buy to start a small electronic dance music collection for our practice room?Thanks,Amos

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

for a variety of D&B I recommend these three "classic" comps as a starter

Ltj Bukem - Logical Progression 1 (Good Looking)
    V.A. Metalheadz Platinum Breakz (Metalheadz)
    V.A.- V Classic (V recordings)

• I like the mellower drum and bass and the Earth box sets on good looking records are well worth the investment. I think they are up to volume 7 but may be a bit pricey for some(up to US$100 for 5 lp box according to discogs.com)

• for a variety of D&B I recommend these three "classic" comps as a starter

I bet that LTJ Bukem LP is ill, but it goes for around $80.

and the Metalheadz goes for $60.

V Classic is $130 at hardtofindrecords .com

I know this is soulstrut, but please for recommendations that aren't as fuk.

• does your club have access to microwave and/or CDJs?

• We're planning on getting Microwave eventually, but right now it's just vinyl in the clubhouse (although I have my own Microwave at home). This thread is proving to be a lesson in how le serat is so neccesary. Alot of the comps mentioned earlier get gotten on CD for regular CD prices. Seems that buying this kind of vinyl is strictly for the collectors now. We're only $150 short of the $500. I guess we'll need to pimp ourselves out to some sorority formals.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    aspiring raver DJs

body & soul comps usta be really good for deep house. but dood... dj'n comps is mad

• Emm,

These are records for people who are just learning to DJ, and just need some songs in their favorite genre to practice their blends. The whole authenticity trip doesn't apply here. I probably don't condone half of these doods taste in music, but I'm trying not to be elitist with this club. We'll probably get Microwave soon anyways, so these punks can play whatever awful Prodigy/Avril Lavigne mash-ups they want. Although I'm going to try to steer them in the direction of good music.

I will have to check the value of my drum and bass collection...

Do you necessarily need high quality stuff /anthems ? Over here you can usually grab various drum&bass 12" in the bargain crate for 1 or 2 bucks a piece. There are regular set sales of drum&bass 12" on the bay as well. If you need the stuff for practice, that should be fine.

There are various compilations out there called "the history of drum&bass", "50 biggest rollers" aso, but I don??t know about them on vinyl. You may check www.breakbeat.co.uk for further information.

• anything on hospital recordings.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I will have to check the value of my drum and bass collection...

Do you necessarily need high quality stuff /anthems ? Over here you can usually grab various drum&bass 12" in the bargain crate for 1 or 2 bucks a piece. There are regular set sales of drum&bass 12" on the bay as well. If you need the stuff for practice, that should be fine.

There are various compilations out there called "the history of drum&bass", "50 biggest rollers" aso, but I don??t know about them on vinyl. You may check www.breakbeat.co.uk for further information.

Holy shit, maybe the couple of 100 d&b records currently collecting dust in my bedroom need to be price czeched.

As far as compilations go, I had a look at ones I was aware of and they all appear to be ten years old so guess I can't help much in this area...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

torque and planet v are two excellent drum and bass compilations, no doubt. torque is CLASSIC. BUT: the vinyl versions are most likely $$$ as well.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This may be a dumb suggestion, but why not ask them what records they want to mix?!

But, first off, if its practice with mixing 'dance' music, then you really need to buy 12", not Lps (the tracks are longer, so more time to get it right). I would recommend just buy someones' old 12" collection. Try and find someone who's letting it go for cheap. I don't know about in the US, but they???re plenty of people with dodgy 12" 'dance' music collections here in the UK. Just don't expect to get the rare/classic stuff, or even highest quality. That???s not what you're after anyway. You want lots of tracks, that all have a similar sound and bpm. Buying a cheap collection will give you all these. Comps may give you a good taster of the genre, but I don't think they're really what you after in this case.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Holer at the3rdstream:

• Holer at the3rdstream:

from the new trance generation

• Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'll go try to find one of those possible drug front stoner run no business plan having radikal techno stores and buy up their dollar bin before they go out of bussiness.