Colbert Report v. Daily Show

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Sure Daily Show's got the more high-profile guests. And it's been around longer so there's more memorable moments.But am I alone in not thinking Jon Stewart is all that funny? To be clear: I'm not sure the extent to which he writes his own material. If he is responsible for the jokes he tells than I have to hand it to dude for some great routines/quips over the years. But if he's merely delivering jokes produced by a team of writers (that he is no doubt a part of but is not necesarily the driving force behind), damn, that could be almost anyone up there. I mean, his improv'ed interview banter is not remarkable to me. I don't know how much dude personally brings to the table.Alls I'm sayiing is Colbert's been bringing the funny a lot more these days in my opinion.Discuss.

Comments

• the daily show has been shit for 2 years. no conest.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Dumb comparison.

• Dumb comparison.

Yes. They are two great tastes that go great together.

Colbert's interviews are annoying; a lot of the Stewart/DS field pieces are annoying. Overall, both shows are great, and are only strengthened by being together.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    On a Colbert note, there is a ton of Exit 57 (Colbert, Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello) on YouTube. Here's a goody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jag87k4ZwFQ

That series needs to be put on DVD, for the love of god.

• Dumb comparison.

damn. fine. I just thought given the OBVIOUS common lineage of the two series that they warranted some comparison.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    yo, stewart loaned some of the writing team for DS to colbert. so... if you're comparing writing teams its not going to get you very far

colbert's shtick can get old, some of the new 'characters' on DS aren't as funny... its a draw IMO

i'll watch whichever one I wander on to... but i can't watch a whole hour of those shows in a sitting

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Which one has higher ratings? There's your answer. Everything else is mindgarden chatter.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Colbert Report wins. More comedy.

Although Jon Stewart is real funny, his audience spoils the comedy with predictable and overly-aggressive applause to political jousts.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    they're so different, i like both of them. colbert is heavy handedly hilarious and absurd in interviews while stewart is good at gently asking cynical questions that seem sincere and don't come off blatantly confrontational, which is great for disarming bullshit artists and spin dr's. it reminds me of conan o'brien's style of playing dumb in interviews because it compells folks to be not as bullshity compared to when they're on meet the press or something. it's like comparing the simpsons to family guy to me

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Colbert's interviews are annoying; a lot of the Stewart/DS field pieces are annoying. Overall, both shows are great, and are only strengthened by being together.

his interviews are the best part of his show!!! I like the beging of the daily show and the end of the colbert show. Colbert crushes Stewart at interviewing.

• Colbert crushes Stewart at interviewing.

jon stewart has the worst interview technique of all time. he ends of talking more than his guests. additionally, his schtick is played out and his persona is becoming irritating. that said, i used to watch daily show religiously but that was mostly for the colbert/mo rocca/rob cordury segments. the new correspondents just aren't that good; particularly jason jones. whose nephew is he?

colbert has moments of weakness but he has created a wonderufl character and is able to improvise in ways stewart could only dream of. time to put daily show to bed and make stewart a correspondent on colbert show.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im not really a big colbert fan. something about that dude really pisses me off. but the funniest shit he ever did was when this one guy came out and he had like an effigy made of the guest and colbert kicked the shit outta it. Dude just had this awestruck look on his face. That shit had me losing it.

• i really still think craig kilbourne was the best, i was upset when he left the show and they had john stewart still kind of acting like CK, i mean come on, stewarts MTV show flopped. CK had a long history of being a nobody on tv, he was even a sports personality for a while, i knew his late night show wasnt gonna make it but i really did like him best on daily show.

i do think stewart, colbert, rob foundry/kondry? are good though.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    it's like comparing the simpsons to family guy

i actually like stewart's interview tech. so not confrontational, he manages to be affable and cut through the bullshit (refer to his first question to musharraf)

that being said, colbert has the funniest intuition and so quick-witted, the man is seriously a genious. although the random spots on strange colbert cartoon ventures are so around the bend. kinda