Vh1 "Rapp Music" Honors.....

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone know the official line up this year?Beastie Boys - Wu Tang Clan - too early IMORakim - Who's going to be covering his joints?MC Lyte - Ice Cube - Technically he's not done IMO.I think I heard KRS-ONE.....but I could be mistaken.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    They need to throw down a beatbox deal.

I read this a bit ago.

"Lil' Kim will give her first post-prison performance next month at VH1's Hip-Hop Honours celebration, paying tribute to another female rapper, MC Lyte. She is expected to perform Lyte as a Rock."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    hopefully they will get better people to rapp thier hits than t.i. wheezing through a cover of "smooth operator".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Whomever interprets the classics wont be able to satisfy errybody.
    I'd really like to hear an artists' contemporaries cover the classics...ie Rakim doin Ice Cube or Wutang doin the Beastie Boys. But that wont happen.
    I thought all of the homages last year were adequate for that venue.Not mind blowin just st8 entertainment.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    She is expected to perform Lyte as a Rock."

...leaving the viewing audience with no clue that when performed by MC Lyte, it's actually a very good song.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    big daddy kane was definitely better than 'adequete', he tore it down.
    i'd like to see them honor somemore pioneers like the cold crush, treacherous etc.
    that, and scarface needs his due.

big daddy kane was definitely better than 'adequete', he tore it down.
    i'd like to see them honor somemore pioneers like the cold crush, treacherous etc.
    that, and scarface needs his due.

No doubt BDK was better than adequate.

Yeah - there's a gang of pioneers that need love before they even get to the Beasties/Wutang/Cube. Alot of it is politics. A cat like LL wont show if he's billed w/ certain cats. Plus, Becky/Shaquana & them would be lost if you were to run through a Cold Crush 4/Treacherous 3 routine.

• Yeah - there's a gang of pioneers that need love before they even get to the Beasties/Wutang/Cube. Alot of it is politics. A cat like LL wont show if he's billed w/ certain cats. Plus, Becky/Shaquana & them would be lost if you were to run through a Cold Crush 4/Treacherous 3 routine.

right. I mean, the only "pioneers" that will ever be honored on this show are those pioneers that made rap popular, not those pioneers that made rap. Thus, Becky will be vaguely familiar with the early catalogues of rappers who were on early MTV, but nothing before that.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Yeah - there's a gang of pioneers that need love before they even get to the Beasties/Wutang/Cube. Alot of it is politics. A cat like LL wont show if he's billed w/ certain cats. Plus, Becky/Shaquana & them would be lost if you were to run through a Cold Crush 4/Treacherous 3 routine.

right. I mean, the only "pioneers" that will ever be honored on this show are those pioneers that made rap popular, not those pioneers that made rap. Thus, Becky will be vaguely familiar with the early catalogues of rappers who were on early MTV, but nothing before that.

I'm going to the taping at the Hammerstein Ballroom tonight.

Well they did give Hollywood and Kool Herc awards, so they can do a gang of cats.

Too Short
    Whodini
    Cold Crush Brothers
    Treacherous Three MCs
    Kurtis Blow
    Doug E. Fresh and The Get Fresh Crew
    2 Live Crew
    Red Alert
    ULTRAMAGNETIC MCS
    The Geto Boys
    Dr.Dre wont come to these events anymore so good luck w/ NWA
    Fantastic Five
    Spoonie G..........

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Well they did give Hollywood and Kool Herc awards, so they can do a gang of cats.

Too Short
    Whodini
    Cold Crush Brothers
    Treacherous Three MCs
    Kurtis Blow
    Doug E. Fresh and The Get Fresh Crew
    2 Live Crew
    Red Alert
    ULTRAMAGNETIC MCS
    The Geto Boys
    Dr.Dre wont come to these events anymore so good luck w/ NWA
    Fantastic Five
    Spoonie G..........

I could see all these groups getting some sort of recognition EXCEPT for Fantastic Five and Ultra.

I could see all these groups getting some sort of recognition EXCEPT Ultra.

Ban

I just came back from the show.

Sweet T looks fuckin good!!!!!

I'll get into it tommorrow.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I really just can't see a company like VH1 devoting the airtime to Ultra. I could see mentions to all the other groups, even with Cold Crush and them being given a cursory glance - right now I'm picturing the audi/video montage happing now speaking about the real old school dudes... But it's a pipe dream to say Ultra gets it.

I really just can't see a company like VH1 devoting the airtime to Ultra. I could see mentions to all the other groups, even with Cold Crush and them being given a cursory glance - right now I'm picturing the audi/video montage happing now speaking about the real old school dudes... But it's a pipe dream to say Ultra gets it.

I agree.

• I really just can't see a company like VH1 devoting the airtime to Too Short.

So the show opens w/ The Beastie Boys Tribute. Mixmaster Mike shows his skills as Q-Tip/Fabulous/Diddy did somethin from the first album.( I forgot ). The Beastie came out and did So Whatcha.....w/ a new beat.Shit was fun.

The MC Lyte tribute had the Roots doin the live shit w/Yo Yo presentin, Brat/Lil Kim/Remy Ma doin classics.
    Lil Kim sounded real good.

The Ice Cube tribute had WC doin It Was A Good Day........shit was heat. Cube came out and did some new joints.

Afrika Bambaataa had Erika Badu( full out cosmic Egyptian garb), George Clinton on vocals,Bootsy on Bass,Roots as the band,OutKast presenting,and a gang of other cats running around. On paper shit looks hot and It was ambitious, but why cover an ELECTRONIC record w/ a band? Looks good for tv though.

Eazy E's tribute......................I was at the open bar.

Rakim's tribute went pretty well. He came out and did a new song............back to the bar.

Russell had a Tribute.........Gin and Tonic pleez.

I hatt to tell y'all, but the usual suspects were on stage...Common/Black Thought/Talib Kwali were your Rent -a -Rappers for the night. VH1 needs to inlist some more cats. Whatever.

The Wu-Tang Tribute took the cake. The usual suspects each did an acapella verse from a Wu record. The last cat was LIL John doin ODB - " I"M THE ONE MAN ARMY - ASON....." Fuckin bananas!!!!!!
    The Wu came out and did Triumph. Cats lost it.

Celebs-

Uncle Ralph
    Lyor Cohen
    Russell Scrimmons
    Kwame
    Sweet T.................. The sista doesnt age. Goddamn........