This belongs on soulstrut

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Thank you for sharing this important post with us.

Once, on the BAF boards several years ago a Jamaican dude brought it pretty hard to two Northern European dudes that insisted on posting in patois. Amazingly, the board's sympathies were overwhelmingly with the European dudes; "They're not hurting anybody!"

• Author : soufriere1

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    not to derail, but this reminded me of a post i made on that other board about how people purposefully misspell words on message boards.

without getting into the argument again, i really can't stand it in most cases.

soulstrut misspellings are fine and all (hatts, folls, & puase), but something irks me about folks taking the time to write 'dem' as opposed to 'them'.

some may actually have issues with spelling and grammer, but i think the majority do it for some other reason (see paychecks above link).

but i digress.

mark ass buster

mark ass buster

• Thank you. Can we take this away from KILL KEVIN and back to white dudes jumping around talking about "CHO! WAHAAPPAN STAR!"

• Thank you. Can we take this away from KILL KEVIN and back to white dudes jumping around talking about "CHO! WAHAAPPAN STAR!"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Author : soufriere1

Didn't dude used to inject his posts with patois rather frequently when he was on here??

• just walk 2 blocks west & cross to the south side of 3rd

We'd still love a KL update.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn - I never thought I would see a board where
    people were even more sensitive than Waxidermy!

Dudes were all "let's just stop this now, before
    any harsh words are spoken..." Can you imagine someone
    coming with that BS here?

They'd get

Oh, and say what you want about K, I totally agree
    with his post, and was pretty bummed out how all
    those dudes were like "it kool to tawka like dem, SEEN?"

• Thank you. Can we take this back to white dudes jumping around talking about "TONIGHT SELL OFF!!!! NO JOKIN, BIG BIG NIGHT TONIGHT, ALL ROAD LEAD TO THE PLACE CALL CLUB XV"

• Thank you. Can we take this back to white dudes jumping around talking about "TONIGHT SELL OFF!!!! NO JOKIN, BIG BIG NIGHT TONIGHT, ALL ROAD LEAD TO THE PLACE CALL CLUB XV"

You tell 'em, Duppy Ranks!

• I really thought your initial link was gonna be about this guy:

But the best post in your link was from "White Man at the Controls" who offered this gem:

yes i . the i is just straight from america land .seen . the i just choose to talk in fake patois because me jus love reggae music . but when me seen a ras one day him just speak too fast . me couldnt hardly catch a thing . seen ?the i mean no disprespect . but i also feel its not my language. but as you see . languages are easily interchangable . there are classes in school for many languages . is patois capable of being a class in school one day ? only in jah righteous kingdom . where school isnt run by babylon . but my main reason for discussing this topic is my curiousity about how rastas feel when hearing a skinny irish kid give his best impression of something hes heard on his records . some whitey just wear dreads on them head . and are batty bwoy . me no love that . i and i have no dreads pon me head . but i and i dreader than dread . seen. i just love the music and the erb smoking . so as it was in those days so shall it be today . since creation the i just love music and erb . so i make the connection . but i and i dont know much about selassie I . i heard about jesus christ . but i dont know if i believe in any religion . though im sure sometimes we all try to talk to someone we cant see . but its obvious as the 80s came about reggae changed . sensi smoke was still there but many of the dj's and early rappers . speak of the culture which was not only rastafari but there surroundings. in conclusion ...im just a white guy who likes reggae .patois slang just comes out of my mouth sometimes i dont try.its just how i feel sometimes . i love to categorize my erb into bushweed , collie , lambsbread and sensi . im constantly on the search for albums with awesome covers and great sounds . theres not many things i like more than a chalice and playing my guitar or listening to tunes . i'd also like to say i also like many other types of music . but i just give much love to all real people of any color .

I was going through and putting the best parts in bold, but by the end, there were only a few words not in bold. Pick your favorite parts for yourself. No filler in this one.

• It would be the epitome of awesome if I could go to "jah school" and learn how to cook ital stew, study H.I.M., and learn to speak patois.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Author : soufriere1

I honestly don't remember K. being even half as verbose on this board.

• It would be the epitome of awesome if I could go to "jah school" and learn how to cook ital stew, study H.I.M., and learn to speak patois.

it could be arranged

i have heard a lifetime's worth of that shit
    laughter for days

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I bet any money that he couldn't tell Bobby Konders to stop talking patois.
    He's as you would say a "honorary jamaican"

I only have a problem with the Trini's speaking it and trying to pass themselves off as us,then when they do wrong we get the blame.

soufriere1,
    mi haffe tell yuh seh, if yuh cyaan figure whey mi writing bout, are any patois writing in general, nah badda come fe bad-mind samady wi yuh problems, yuh si mi a seh? especially, eehf it choble yuh so, yuh si whey mi a seh?

• there was a time in the 70's when i returned to los angeles after living in jamaica for a year. i met some white reggae fans sporting red, gold and green tams, belts and wristbands and speaking in really bad patois. they were the og trustafarians....blop! blop! blop!

Why are white youts so affected by other white youts dat(umad jlee?)choose to chat patios anyway?
    That's some strange shit.

• choose to chat patios

That's some strange crazy paving shit.

• choose to chat patios

choose to chat patios

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    EXCUSE I!