hot sauce (NRR)

kojackkojack 42 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Paging herm

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    PAPatio is great, I may have some with whatever I plan to have for lunch.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Fall back folls!

Fall back folls!

YES! And of course, be aware of all bootleg Sriracha's, generally with yellow and sometimes red caps. As explained in this PAP-free link.

This stuff is good with a plate lunch, especially when you got a few drops or so with the macaroni salad.

And speaking of home, still one of the most feared areas of Honolulu, so in honor of the day, I bring you:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

I've seen this around, is it that good?

Yeah. It's island-grown cayenne that has the texture of thick pizza sauce. Mix a little bit with mayo and spread it on your sandwich meat. Chances are you've seen it at a farmers' market

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Fall back folls!

We call this one "the cock" round here.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Fall back folls!

hell yeah, that's the shit

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Fall back folls!

"The Raging Cock" as my pap's like to call it. Always have a large bottle in the fridge, put that shit on everything!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

A personal favourite.

I love hot sauce and spicy foods. In New Orleans I went into a store that had a WALL of hot sauces - I was in heaven.

In addition to my mom's scotchbonnet sauce, coriander chutney and kimchi these are some other favourites:

That reads funny - my mom doesn't make coriander chutney and kimchi, just the scotchbonnet delight.

This is brutal, and there's one that is twice as hot but I haven't tried it. I had bought one for my cousin, who is into his hot sauce. I put a toothpick and tried a taste. Not much heat. I decided to put some on the burger I had, tongue first on the sauce. I felt the heat. And then I FELT the heat. Fucking thing didn't go away for 15 minutes.

I haven't tried the hot sauce, but I have tried the one that tastes like tonkatsu sauce.

This one is vinegar based, right? I don't like this one. There's a place here called Casa Chapala, and it's where I tried it, but between it and Tapatio, Tapatio won out for me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

This is brutal, and there's one that is twice as hot but I haven't tried it. I had bought one for my cousin, who is into his hot sauce. I put a toothpick and tried a taste. Not much heat. I decided to put some on the burger I had, tongue first on the sauce. I felt the heat. And then I FELT the heat. Fucking thing didn't go away for 15 minutes.

Yea, the Dave's is intense. I like that's it's just heat and no flavour, sometimes you need that for cooking. I don't know if this is good or bad, but my tolerance is pretty high at this point. I use like three or four dabs on my burgers.

This one is vinegar based, right? I don't like this one. There's a place here called Casa Chapala, and it's where I tried it, but between it and Tapatio, Tapatio won out for me.

Yea, vinegar based hot sauces can be harsh, but I really like this one with potatoes.

Yikes. Looks like someone has balls ovaries of steel. Habanero is definitely not for lightweights. When harvesting those shits, you have to wear gloves because any juice on any exposed cut or mucus membrane is going to give you a REALLY bad day

Trivia: The active ingredient that gives peppers their heat is fat, alcohol and starch soluable. Wash your mouth out with milk, chewed bread, butter, etc to help you cope when the heat is too much

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    co-sign on all yall picks.

Red Rooster Hot Sauce.

If it's HOT, it's on like donkey kong fools!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Papatio is clearly the illest. Followed by straight up tabasco sauce.
    some days tabasco wins though. But then papatio is much cheaper.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

believe it or not, there are hot sauce raers. Some bottles are produced in limited quantities for hundreds of dollars...The heat of the sauce is measured in what's called "Scoville Units". Most of what's been posted in relatively mild, compared to some of the crazier shit out there. For example, Tobasco is kinda mild at 2500 Scoville Units. If you're just looking for fire without flavor, this is pretty good:

This shit is so strong, its packed in a little plastic pill bottle, like crazy glue. Don't get it on your bare skin...It has no taste & is meant to be used as a food additive, lending fire to tomato sauces, salsas, & the like. It has a rating of 500,000 Scoville Units!

One of my personal faves is the widow:

The bottle is cool & it's got some kick! Its about 30 times as strong as regular tobasco. Basically, you only use this one drop at a time.

I have over 100 bottles of spicy shite. One day, I'll prolly need an expedit...

Peace

h

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

infact, the whole family is pretty good...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hi,

believe it or not, there are hot sauce raers. Some bottles are produced in limited quantities for hundreds of dollars...The heat of the sauce is measured in what's called "Scoville Units". Most of what's been posted in relatively mild, compared to some of the crazier shit out there. For example, Tobasco is kinda mild at 2500 Scoville Units. If you're just looking for fire without flavor, this is pretty good:

This shit is so strong, its packed in a little plastic pill bottle, like crazy glue. Don't get it on your bare skin...It has no taste & is meant to be used as a food additive, leanding fire to tomato sauces, salsas, & the like. It has a rating of 500,000 Scoville Units!

One of my personal faves is the widow:

The bottle is cool & it's got some kick! Its about 30 times as strong as regular tobasco. Basically, you only use this one drop at a time.

I have over 100 bottles of spicy shite. One day, I'll prolly need an expedit...

Peace

h

Tabasco is pretty much flavored vinegar. Once you get to the 10,000 mark in SCOVILLE UNITS that when the real heat begins.Dave,s insanity sauce is not really a condiment. Its something you add to soups and stews. All fire is just machofratboy bullshit. Find that right ratio of heat to flavor is what I reach for. 60F:40H. The hot sauce game is similar to the wax game. Whenever my friends go away, I always ask them to bring back some regional hot sauce. Recently my co-worker went to Cali and came back with Tapatio. I was disappointed cause I can get that in most NYC bodegas.

HA HA HA HA

"Blair's 16 Million Reserve
    **Pure Capsaicin**

Never before offered - This Blair's collector's reserve bottle contains 16 million Scoville Units of Pure Capsicum. The tiny 1ml vial inside contains pure capsicum crystals, hottest element known to man. Nothing in the world could get hotter then this 16 Million Reserve. Be among the few to get one of these limited edition bottles. No more the 999 of Blair's 16 Million Reserve will be produced. Still don't think it's hot? A HREF="http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/">Check out the 16 Million Reserve product review on HotSauceBlog.com."

http://www.sweatnspice.com/prodimages/Blairs_16_Million.jpg" alt="" />

Nice bottle tho.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

that bottle is
    they need to make a silver and black one
    heck I'd buy it just for the bottle!

All fire is just machofratboy bullshit. Find that right ratio of heat to flavor is what I reach for. 60F:40H. The hot sauce game is similar to the wax game. Whenever my friends go away, I always ask them to bring back some regional hot sauce. Recently my co-worker went to Cali and came back with Tapatio. I was disappointed cause I can get that in most NYC bodegas.

You hit the nail right on the head. I've had stuff like 'Da Bomb' where it's only purpose is to be involved in bar/dorm room challenges or something. As some of you know, I was born without a sense of smell which makes me approach 'taste' different than most people. Extreme spiciness helps my brain recieve the 'kick' of the sauce, but sensations like sourness, tartness and saltiness doesnt really register with me. Texture is important as I 'taste' liquidy sauces different than pizza-sauce like stuff. It's a visual and mental thing. It's really hard to explain typing it out.

Personally, I think Tapatio is overrated, despite that I would be considered a traitor if I said that to any of my L.A. brethren. It was funny when that guy impressed J-Lo in Selena when he pulled a couple of bottles of Cholula out of gun holsters

Personally, I think Tapatio is overrated, despite that I would be considered a traitor if I said that to any of my L.A. brethren. It was funny when that guy impressed J-Lo in Selena when he pulled a couple of bottles of Cholula out of gun holsters
    Tapatio is intro level shit. Old reliables like Tabasco,Texas Pete's,Cholula,and Red Hot are still quite watery. One of my favorites is MELINDA'S XXXXTRA. Check it out.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I don't know 'bout y'alls, but I was poppin' Crystal[/b] long before Rae and Ghost...

Try putting a sliced habanero in a shaker with a margarita. Lime/Heat/Tequila=The BOMB!!!!!!!!! Only for the seasoned vet. Its got flavor as well.

The tiny 1ml vial inside contains pure capsicum crystals, hottest element known to man.

"I'd smoke that shit "

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    HA HA HA HA

"Blair's 16 Million Reserve

**Pure Capsaicin**

Never before offered - This Blair's collector's reserve bottle contains 16 million Scoville Units of Pure Capsicum. The tiny 1ml vial inside contains pure capsicum crystals, hottest element known to man. [/b]Nothing in the world could get hotter then this 16 Million Reserve. Be among the few to get one of these limited edition bottles. No more the 999 of Blair's 16 Million Reserve will be produced. Still don't think it's hot? A HREF="http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/">Check out the 16 Million Reserve product review on HotSauceBlog.com."

Surly Nerd alert! I hate when people screw up science in the service of marketing. First of all, capsicum is a molecule, not an element. Second of all, you 16 million Scoville unit pussies need to step up to Resiniferatoxin[/b]

http://www.lclabs.com/PRODFILE/P-R/R-67120.JPG" width=500>

This is one of the most irritating substances known to man, with a specific activity against the Vanilloid Receptor thousands of times higher than capsicum, which would yield a rating of at least 16 Billion[/b] scoville units for purified dry crystals.

Actually I agree that these hot sauces featuring purified capsicum favor macho posturing and don't represent any sort of culinary refinement. Although I've experienced mild euphoria after tasting some of these, it's ballanced by a lot of pain.

I'd be hard pressed to decide which are my all time favorite hot sauces, but the following is a list of sauces that I pretty much always have stocked in my pantry:

Tabasco[/b] The classic. Not the hottest or the most flavorful hot sauce of all time but my absolute favorite on eggs

Papatio[/b] Es un Salsa, Muy Salsa

El Yucateco[/b] Probably my favorite really hot habanero sauce

Siracha[/b] This makes the best buffalo wings I've ever had

Trader Joe's Jalapeno Sauce[/b] This is a new one, great mix of heat and flavor

And to keep it record related:

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/t/tjader_cal~_soulsauce_101b.jpg" alt="" />

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

that bottle is
    they need to make a silver and black one
    heck I'd buy it just for the bottle!

Here you go!

h