Why People Like Hezbollah

124»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Always copy your posts before hitting submit.

• Somehow I think you believe it's OK that Israel unabashedly kills innocents to protect their nation/state. If it's good enough for the U.S...

Yeah, I do. And there's no reason to think our "nation/state" wouldn't participate in the killing of innocents as well. After all, we bombed the hell out of innocents in Germany during the second world war. We bombed the hell out innocents in Yugoslavia (and that was hardly a matter of our existence). There's no reason to think we wouldn't won't do it again. Innocents die in war. It's tragic, but until we do with away with war, non-combatants are going to be killed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Somehow I think you believe it's OK that Israel unabashedly kills innocents to protect their nation/state. If it's good enough for the U.S...

Yeah, I do. And there's no reason to think our "nation/state" wouldn't participate in the killing of innocents as well. After all, we bombed the hell out of innocents in Germany during the second world war. We bombed the hell out innocents in Yugoslavia (and that was hardly a matter of our existence). There's no reason to think we wouldn't won't do it again. Innocents die in war. It's tragic, but until we do with away with war, non-combatants are going to be killed.

I've always believed that Israel has been held to unfair standards. They are supposed to show great restraint when they are attacked, they are placed under the microscope when they decide to retaliate. Their peacetime operations are looked at under incredible scrutiny and their wartime operations are pretty much considered barbaric before they are even executed.

To be a small country in a hostile part of the world with world leaders from larger countries calling for your destruction and generating the nuclear means to do so may leave you without the option of adhering to the rules of good PR.

Israel exists and that in itself gives certain people the mental carte blanch to think they need to be destroyed. It's nothing new for Jews it's just disappointing that the world expects them to be able to keep the peace when so many people attempt war with them.

It ain't like Israel is trying to pick fights, it's more like they just want the right to exist

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

To be a small country in a hostile part of the world with world leaders from larger countries calling for your destruction and generating the nuclear means to do so may leave you without the option of adhering to the rules of good PR.
    Please explain how this makes Jews safer.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Please explain how this makes Jews safer.
    well the geo-political thing isn't really working too well for them, but just to have a country of their own with its own government and military puts them in a better position than Jews have been in for thousands of years.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I think the Palestinian issue makes your assertion a bit thornier. The history behind the creation of Israel and the expulsion of the Palestinians makes this an emotional issue where no answer is completely right.

• I think the Palestinian issue makes your assertion a bit thornier. The history behind the creation of Israel and the expulsion of the Palestinians makes this an emotional issue where no answer is completely right.

Of course you're right. However, acknowledging the complexity of the issue doesn't mean I can't be glib with people who soil their panties at the sight of an Israeli t-shirt because Israel "unabashedly" murders innocents. Statements like that bring a level of scrutiny to Israel that is irrational and offensive. Killing innocent people in the course of war is nothing new. Wars of dubious basis are nothing new. Canada???s guilty of participating in both. And yet nobody would bat an eye if I wore a tshirt with a Canadian flag, even though we send our own innocent citizens to be tortured abroad and have enough skeletons in our closet so that anyone choosing to apply the same scrutiny focused on Israel would get mighty outraged.