Why People Like Hezbollah

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I was going to post this on a thread that I said I was through with, and even though this is on a different topic than what I promised to shut the hell up about, I thought it was thought provoking enough to post here.It's easy to see why folks look at radical groups like Hezbollah and see something besides just bloodthirsty terrorists. That's because terrorism is just one of their "side projects"._______________________________________________________________________I've spoken to some older folks down here in the southern part of the U.S. who've told me about a group of men who back in the 30's, 40's and 50's would do some very noble things in their community.If a family was down on their luck this group would make sure they had food on their table.If a wife or child was being abused they would make a visit with the head of the household and do their best to convince him that the abuse must stop.If someone's house burned down they would help rebuild it.If a farmer got sick they would work his fields for him to make sure the family received their usual income.Sounds like a damn good bunch of folks on the surface.But they weren't.They called themselves the KKK.

Comments

• Hezbollah strikes me as a Shia version of the Mafia.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    As far as I can tell, one of the main reasons certain Americans support Hezbollah and their actions is because of americas evil empire attitude and anything that is Anti-America AKA Anti-Israel automatically becomes something to support. The fact that they kidnap people based on their heritage, fire missles from residential neighborhoods and hide behind these areas leaving entire communities open to retalitory attacks doesn't seem to matter, al lthat seems to matter is they aren't the American government.

Knee-jerk American/ Jewish hate (or really any hate) seemingly allows people to support others that hate

I'll get deeper as this thread gets up into the 5 page area

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I dont think a lot of people "like" hezbollah (also spelled hizbullah)

They are an organization with a complex history whose terrorist actions should be condemned. Just like US supported contras or other groups.

Clever comparison with the KKK but it is far from relevant. War stricken middle east vs poverty/different war south..etc Extreme but not religiously fundamentalist group vs fundamentalist hate criminal group..political action and violence vs social violence.

You need to get informed about hizbullah and the lebanese situation a lot more instead of trying to hatt on fictive stereotypes of liberals (if they support it the way you think they do ..they also need a history/polisci lesson.

Complex situations demand serious questionning not labelling and side taking

Pointless opiniated thread

saying

mad classification as well as beef stirring essence...what do you hope to come out of this discussion...

• I dont think a lot of people "like" hezbollah (also spelled hizbullah)

They are an organization with a complex history whose terrorist actions should be condemned. Just like US supported contras or other groups.

Clever comparison with the KKK but it is far from relevant. War stricken middle east vs poverty/different war south..etc Extreme but not religiously fundamentalist group vs fundamentalist hate criminal group..political action and violence vs social violence.

You need to get informed about hizbullah and the lebanese situation a lot more instead of trying to hatt on fictive stereotypes of liberals (if they support it the way you think they do ..they also need a history/polisci lesson.

Complex situations demand serious questionning not labelling and side taking

Pointless opiniated thread

saying

mad classification as well as beef stirring essence...what do you hope to come out of this discussion...

I'm curious...has anyone here actually expressed support for Hezbollah?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Actually I thin Rock is onto something with his KKK comparison

The KKK was founded post war as was Hezbollah

Both were set up as some sort of defenders of the area to ward off occupiers

Both are aggressive in their defense and wanting to preserve things "the way they were"

Both carry a blanket hate for other ethnic groups

I would say Hezbollah is worse in the fact that it has the capability and has followed through in carrying out war with countries and hiding behind neighborhoods (as opposed to sheets)

Granted there are many more facets that the 2 groups held as their own and just their own but in the broad picture there are some serious similarities

• I'm curious...has anyone here actually expressed support for Hezbollah?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    By no means was I suggesting that AMERICANS like Hizbullah(although some might).

My comparison is simply that both of these groups did things to endear themselves to the citizens around them, but had very dark sides as well.

Their good deeds were enough to have some of the law abiding folks to overlook the crimes they committed.

And on that level I do think that is a fair comparison.

• Clever comparison with the KKK but it is far from relevant. War stricken middle east vs poverty/different war south..etc Extreme but not religiously fundamentalist group vs fundamentalist hate criminal group..political action and violence vs social violence.

Both are aggressive in their defense and wanting to preserve things "the way they were"

I would say Hezbollah is worse in the fact that it has the capability and has followed through in carrying out war with countries and hiding behind neighborhoods (as opposed to sheets)

Granted there are many more facets that the 2 groups held as their own and just their own but in the broad picture there are some serious similarities

Except that the KKK was not created to overthrow an occupying force or government. It was created to oppress and already oppressed group of people. It was also a way to control the poor population of the south by keeping the races fighting each other instead of actually becoming aware of the huge gap between the rich south and the poor south. The comparison is completely offbase.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Except that the KKK was not created to overthrow an occupying force or government. It was created to oppress and already oppressed group of people. It was also a way to control the poor population of the south by keeping the races fighting each other instead of actually becoming aware of the huge gap between the rich south and the poor south. The comparison is completely offbase.

I'm not so sure I agree

http://columbia.thefreedictionary.com/Ku+Klux+Klan

The First Ku Klux KlanThe original Ku Klux Klan was organized by ex-Confederate elements to oppose the Reconstruction policies of the radical Republican Congress and to maintain "white supremacy." After the Civil War, when local government in the South was weak or nonexistent and there were fears of black outrages and even of an insurrection, informal vigilante organizations or armed patrols were formed in almost all communities. These were linked together in societies, such as the Men of Justice, the Pale Faces, the Constitutional Union Guards, the White Brotherhood, and the Order of the White Rose. The Ku Klux Klan was the best known of these, and in time it absorbed many of the smaller organizations.

It was organized at Pulaski, Tenn., in May, 1866. Its strange disguises, its silent parades, its midnight rides, its mysterious language and commands, were found to be most effective in playing upon fears and superstitions. The riders muffled their horses' feet and covered the horses with white robes. They themselves, dressed in flowing white sheets, their faces covered with white masks, and with skulls at their saddle horns, posed as spirits of the Confederate dead returned from the battlefields. Although the Klan was often able to achieve its aims by terror alone, whippings and lynchings were also used, not only against blacks but also against the so-called carpetbaggers

• By no means was I suggesting that AMERICANS like Hizbullah(although some might).

My comparison is simply that both of these groups did things to endear themselves to the citizens around them, but had very dark sides as well.

Their good deeds were enough to have some of the law abiding folks to overlook the crimes they committed.

There's nothing that is "thought-provoking" in your comparison. The situation in Lebanon / Israel is so much more complicated than just saying "dude, Hezbollah is like the KKK". I'm sure a Lebanese whose house was bombed to bits by Israeli missiles would make that same comparison about Israel (especially knowing how Palestinians are treated like third rate citizens in Israel). And an Israeli person most probably will say it about Hezbollah. Which leads us to...nowhere.

By no means was I suggesting that AMERICANS like Hizbullah(although some might).

There's nothing that is "thought-provoking" in your comparison. The situation in Lebanon / Israel is so much more complicated than just saying "dude, Hezbollah is like the KKK". I'm sure a Lebanese whose house was bombed to bits by Israeli missiles would make that same comparison about Israel (especially knowing how Palestinians are treated like third rate citizens in Israel). And an Israeli person most probably will say it about Hezbollah. Which leads us to...nowhere.

Look....In another thread someone suggested that Hezbollah was not just about terrorism.

I've read many articles about how Hezbollah wins over folks by rebuilding their bombed out homes and feeding folks....proving that they are not "Just about terrorism"

My comparison just brought that concept closer to home by using the KKK who used the SAME EXACT tactics to win over people here in the South.

I've heard folks who witnessed it first hand say "The KKK was not JUST about racism"

If you can't see the paralell I don't know what to say.

For not being very thought provoking, it provoked YOU(and others) to take the time and respond.

And I'll bet ten bucks you read this response too.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I fear that by design these "religions" are forcing us towards a holy war ,if we are not already in one.

A major clash of civilizaations east vs west is upon us and the shia hezbolah as well as the Iranian mullahs they take marching orders from refuse modernity in all of its forms.
    PARTY LIKE ITS 1499

To contradict myself i noted in the news today a report featuring Iran's Military Celibration over the weekend
    This "celebration"included the parading of missiles,tanks and all forms of military hardware.
    Yet the motorcade was led by a guy on an electroglide Harley

Also Saudi arabia is just aas fucked up with regard to human rights as Iran,yet America ALWAYS looks the other way,even after 15 of the 9/11 hijackers were from SA.

At the end of the day its not ok to stone women to death for committing "adultry"
    or hanging men for being"homosexual".

As sad as it is I have to be judgemental and say "that is no way to treat your women"
    Nor should Israel be wiped off the map

So I guess it comes down to jews and christians fighting against these outdated midevil antiquated moslems and their idealogies.Sure they have the right to run their countries like that,as they always have,but start talking bout nukes.....well duke ....we might nuke em first
    nah Israel will do it first

the middle ground is rapidly vanishing
    both sidea are begging for polarity

I have to be a strong taoist and play the middle ground and pray for peace

ps
    organized religion sux

• Clever comparison with the KKK but it is far from relevant. War stricken middle east vs poverty/different war south..etc Extreme but not religiously fundamentalist group vs fundamentalist hate criminal group..political action and violence vs social violence.

I'm not so sure I agree

The First Ku Klux KlanThe original Ku Klux Klan was organized by ex-Confederate elements to oppose the Reconstruction policies of the radical Republican Congress and to maintain "white supremacy." After the Civil War, when local government in the South was weak or nonexistent and there were fears of black outrages and even of an insurrection, informal vigilante organizations or armed patrols were formed in almost all communities. These were linked together in societies, such as the Men of Justice, the Pale Faces, the Constitutional Union Guards, the White Brotherhood, and the Order of the White Rose. The Ku Klux Klan was the best known of these, and in time it absorbed many of the smaller organizations.

It was organized at Pulaski, Tenn., in May, 1866. Its strange disguises, its silent parades, its midnight rides, its mysterious language and commands, were found to be most effective in playing upon fears and superstitions. The riders muffled their horses' feet and covered the horses with white robes. They themselves, dressed in flowing white sheets, their faces covered with white masks, and with skulls at their saddle horns, posed as spirits of the Confederate dead returned from the battlefields. Although the Klan was often able to achieve its aims by terror alone, whippings and lynchings were also used, not only against blacks but also against the so-called carpetbaggers

Guzz, read what you quoted ...

maintain "white supremacy." (they were already empowered)

fears of black outrages and even of an insurrection (trying to maintain their dominance)

yes they were opposed very early to reconstructio policies, but c'mon, it was not to create a new and better south for all, even from the start. Its goals were clear - CONTINUATION of white dominence now that the slaves were all free.

Hizbollah was not created to maintain their dominence as they did not really exist as an organization before they had the common cause of ousting the Isaelis.

Ok yes both the KKK and Hizbollah do good things for the people that support them, thats just good PR, marketing 101... You could make that comparison of any group good or bad, but that does not mean they are the even on the same playing field as a GOOD comparison.

I fear that by design these "religions" are forcing us towards a holy war ,if we are not already in one.

A major clash of civilizaations east vs west is upon us and the shia hezbolah as well as the Iranian mullahs they take marching orders from refuse modernity in all of its forms.
    PARTY LIKE ITS 1499

To contradict myself i noted in the news today a report featuring Iran's Military Celibration over the weekend
    This "celebration"included the parading of missiles,tanks and all forms of military hardware.
    Yet the motorcade was led by a guy on an electroglide Harley

Also Saudi arabia is just aas fucked up with regard to human rights as Iran,yet America ALWAYS looks the other way,even after 15 of the 9/11 hijackers were from SA.

At the end of the day its not ok to stone women to death for committing "adultry"
    or hanging men for being"homosexual".

As sad as it is I have to be judgemental and say "that is no way to treat your women"
    Nor should Israel be wiped off the map

So I guess it comes down to jews and christians fighting against these outdated midevil antiquated moslems and their idealogies.Sure they have the right to run their countries like that,as they always have,but start talking bout nukes.....well duke ....we might nuke em first
    nah Israel will do it first

the middle ground is rapidly vanishing
    both sidea are begging for polarity

I have to be a strong taoist and play the middle ground and pray for peace

ps
    organized religion sux

If there is a better post than this in the history of SS politics I wanna see it!!!!!

• "Hey Dude, Fight Racism, Kill Jews"[/b]

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I'm not so sure I agree

Guzz, read what you quoted ...

maintain "white supremacy." (they were already empowered)

fears of black outrages and even of an insurrection (trying to maintain their dominance)

yes they were opposed very early to reconstructio policies, but c'mon, it was not to create a new and better south for all, even from the start. Its goals were clear - CONTINUATION of white dominence now that the slaves were all free.

Hizbollah was not created to maintain their dominence as they did not really exist as an organization before they had the common cause of ousting the Isaelis.

Ok yes both the KKK and Hizbollah do good things for the people that support them, thats just good PR, marketing 101... You could make that comparison of any group good or bad, but that does not mean they are the even on the same playing field as a GOOD comparison.

Without a doubt the KKK had a policy of holding down minorities, but they also had one of attacking occupying forces, perceived and real (AKA carpetbaggers).

anyways this is just a small slice of the pie and the argument shouldnt be about how close the Klan is to Hezbollah but rather why Hezbollah gets support from certain people.

On a personal level, my girlfriend works with a former record store co-employee of mine who proudly rocks his support Hezbollah T-shirt. dudes a fucking joke and when I first met him 5 years ago he was rocking a false brittish accent and using words like "teriff".

I haven't even got the stomach to talk to this fucker about his fashion politico bullshit(e)

yes they were opposed very early to reconstructio policies, but c'mon, it was not to create a new and better south for all, even from the start.

What you fail to recognize is that in the KKK mindset they WERE trying to make what they perceived as a "better South".

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hezbollah strikes me as a Shia version of the Mafia.

Yeah, I get a similar impression as well, but it's only a superficial one based primarily on the whole "sticking up for and protecting the common little guy" act because Hezbollah in Lebanon exists in a much, much different set of circumstances than does the Mafia in the US. I mean, on the surface, it's not that hard to see why Hezbollah is the people's champ in Lebanon--and I assume the Lebanese are the "people" mentioned in the title of this thread--but the actual existence and operation of the group is pretty different from that of a crime family.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    no matter how you slice it
    the 60 dead orphans in tyre or the family's in Israel that sustained death and injury paid the price for these "Men" and their barbarous ways
    hezbolah sucks and is a symptom of the diseased occupation
    both failed to really place any gains in the 34 day war
    israel by default looks like a hapless bystander in its own violence
    i don't beleive the jews are as war like by nature yet this time they attacked almost unprovoked and destroyed all of the best parts of Lebanon and its infrastructure.

call me racist but i beleive the proof lies in the sunni/shite ethnic cleansing you seen in Iraq
    these people have been killing each other for 3000 years,and nothing will stop this hatfeild vs mccoy type shit
    we need to get the fuck out of there ASAP
    and so do the jews
    In the long term big pre armageddon picture Brooklyn is much safer than jeruselum
    no fucking joke
    come to boro park ,its safe and clean ,no pesky HAMAS/HEZZIES
    take a rain check on the religious monuments or transplant them to Prospect Park
    these effigies are not worth being annihilated for
    the mullahs and thier ideals are cartoon like in their substance and will only understand one thing

Sadly the fact remains that one nuke can wipe out all of Israel.
    Yet if Israel responds even with nukes they CANNOT EVER Bomb the rest of the middle east into submission let alone iran.
    So Israel Must Be Preemptive or if and when Iran gets the bomb a backdoor secret diplomatic channel needs to be set up to sustain and monitor the Mutually Agreed Destruction program ,similar to the US/Soviet pack of the cold war
    i'd also liek to see an India/Israel/US nuclear alignment

cue up dylan's times they are a changin'

• I dont think a lot of people "like" hezbollah (also spelled hizbullah)

boy are you wrong. go to a rally in SF or Berkeley. check out the recent rally in Manchester. or any number of Muslim neighborhoods in France or UK. And that's just the fucking WEST. forget about the middle east and southeast asia. dudes are HUGELY popular I'm afraid.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I can't be mad because you make me laugh.
    call me racist but i beleive the proof lies in the sunni/shite ethnic cleansing you seen in Iraq
    these people have been killing each other for 3000 years,and nothing will stop this hatfeild vs mccoy[/b]

You hit it right on the head. Those people are subhuman killers like the those people from Kentucky. Talking of Hatfields and McCoys I wonder when British Isles will go to war with France or Germany again. Will it be before or after the Brits go to war with Scotland or Ireland. Those fools over there have been killing each other for thousands of years. Always have always will. Those people just aren't happy unless they are killing some one. Thank God they don't have the bomb, or do they? I just wish they could be like peace loving Christian Americans and stop killing people all the time.

:5pager:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Your point, Hezbollah does more than terror, is well taken. In fact Hezbollah is part of the democratically elected government of Lebanon. The fact that they could get so many votes in an election proves your point that they are popular.

One way they are more similar, than different, from the KKK. Both group's terrorists actions were celebrated by the peaceful populace.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't be mad because you make me laugh.
    these people have been killing each other for 3000 years,and nothing will stop this hatfeild vs mccoy[/b]

The Hatfields and McCoys didn't actually kill very many people. I think it was around a dozen over the course of the conflict. And lest we forget too, the Hatfields and McCoys eventually squashed their beef.

And oh yeah, since you volunteered for this:

Sectarian violence is hardly the monopoly of Islam.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This has to be one of the dumbest, most miss informed threads I have ever seen on theStrut.

Beyond a rather pathetic piece of agitprop, what on earth is the point in drawing a similarity between these two, completely separate groups.

This has to be one of the dumbest, most miss informed threads I have ever seen on theStrut.

Beyond a rather pathetic piece of agitprop, what on earth is the point in drawing a similarity between these two, completely separate groups.

Glad you liked it.....that thread you started was top notch!!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

You're the one moaning about what a terrible thread you have to come back and read over and over(and after this post) and over again.

Not me.

I think it produced some damn good discourse.

And kept Moke's like you comin' back for more!!

• this thread really does show of the more narrow, ameri-centric views i've seen on here. we're talking a thousands-of-year-old struggle for territory and religious freedom filled with bloodshed and war...and comparing it to a bunch of 150 year old, backwood 'beer & brats & burn a cross,' folls who masqueraded as a christian gentlemen's society.

c'mon...could our political discourse get a little more sophisticated than parsing the merits of email forwards???

this thread really does show of the more narrow, ameri-centric views i've seen on here. we're talking a thousands-of-year-old struggle for territory and religious freedom filled with bloodshed and war...and comparing it to a bunch of 150 year old, backwood 'beer & brats & burn a cross,' folls who masqueraded as a christian gentlemen's society.

c'mon...could our political discourse get a little more sophisticated than parsing the merits of email forwards???

Sorry you feel that way...I took one very specific aspect of Hezbollah and compared it to the only thing I could relate it to in U.S. terms.

I didn't compare the two groups agendas nor philosophies, simply the fact that the Beer & Brat idiots use the SAME tactics as today's terrorist groups to win support.

If someone wants to make any more of it than that they're on their own.

Obviously, since we have only been around for a few hundred years there is no way to broad brush our history with that of a 3,000 year old culture.

But if you can't see the single similarity I pointed out, and relate that to understanding either 1) Why Middle Easterners support Hez and turn a blind eye to their murderous ways....or 2) Why the South turned a blind eye to KKK atrocities, then I guess this thread has nothing to offer to you.

My intent by posting here is to share my views and make people think.....and this thread accomplished both even if it's not the way YOU would have approached it.

The fact that no appeared tells me that at least some folks appreciated it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

You're the one moaning about what a terrible thread you have to come back and read over and over(and after this post) and over again.

Not me.

I think it produced some damn good discourse.

And kept Moke's like you comin' back for more!!

Rockadelic, I really have no interest in getting into some personal beef with you. I don't know you. I'm sure you are a realy nice person tho. I thought what you said was dumb tho. If you would like to have some 'damn good discourse' about why it was so dumb feel free. I have no problem with the thread itself, just some of the dumbness contained within. But like I already said, if you just want to sling mud, I'm not interested.