Windows XP issue. Please Help. (NRR)

bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Sup everybody. So i'm looking for some help by any advanced XP users relating to how files are downloaded from the net.I'll explain further, Before real player being installed on my machine, whenever I clicked on a internet multimedia link such as movie files or mp3 files, windows media player would open immediately and start playing the file *while* it downloaded the rest of the file. Now for some reason anytime I click on an MP3 or multimedia file, it brings up the download prompt and has to dowload the whole file before i can play or view the file. Shit is annoying for when you want to listen to the file while it's downloading.I can't seem to figure what settings were changed, but I made sure that the Windows Media Player is still my default player, so thats not it. I know it has something to do with how files are streamed or downloaded, but can't figure out where to change this back. does this make sense?hollur if anyone knows how to fix this. thanks in advanced. kg.

Comments

• if youve run a windows update in the last year or so, thats probably it. So far as i know, thats just how it works now in windows, you get the little download dialog and until its all there, you cant really open it. at least i think so..... thats how its been working for me no matter what the default player or file type/association is.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    what browser are you using?

• using internet explorer 6 with sp2.

Karlophone, it's possible that what you say is true, but i really think there is a way to change this. it's just some deeply embedded setting that i can't figure out, but know exists.

hollur y'all.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    It sounds like your browser is using Quicktime to play media embedded within the browser. To change it back to whatever application you'd like use the following instructions:

Open My Computer
    go to the Tools Folder Options menu
    go to the File Types tab
    scroll down to and and select the MP3 Extension
    click the Change button
    select the program you want to use from the list
    or click the browse button and browse to the location of the app you'd like to use
    click ok

and you're done.

-billb

• that was the first thing i tried.

thanks for the suggestion though b.

hollur.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    When, you have a freshly installed copy of xp, media player will worka certain way. Soon as the file associations are changed however then it's real tough to change it back. The only thing I can reccomend is to uninstall the wmp, and reinstall a new version, and then change the file associations back to media player.

Hope that helps.

- spidey

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    It sounds like your browser is using Quicktime to play media embedded within the browser. To change it back to whatever application you'd like use the following instructions:

Open My Computer
    go to the Tools Folder Options menu
    go to the File Types tab
    scroll down to and and select the MP3 Extension
    click the Change button
    select the program you want to use from the list
    or click the browse button and browse to the location of the app you'd like to use
    click ok

and you're done.

-billb

Ok, try doing the same thing above but instead of changing the program, go to the Advanced button and change the default from play to "open".

• damn, so close, and yet so far away.

that didn't work either.

Sounds like it is time to scrap all of that Micro$oft and move to FireFox and WinAmp.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
    http://www.winamp.com/

Sounds like it is time to scrap all of that Micro$oft and move to Opera and WinAmp.

http://www.opera.com/
    http://www.winamp.com/

- spidey

• i think you're all right about moving away from i.explorer and wmp, but i still think that real player was the culprit.

about moving to winamp, though...

thanks for everyone's feedback.

hollr.

about moving winamp, though...

You Wmp.

- spidey

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    cant you just drag the links to mediaplayer so it streams em? that works with winamp

• yoooooooooo, you know what, that's actually the best work around.

good looks doom.

hollur.