The alarm clock post

empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
can anyone recommend some good piece of alarm clock equipment? i've been using my cell phone for a while, but obviously it's set to CPT (that's "colored people's time" for those not knowing), and always end up late. alarm clocks that i've used in the past are always easy to disengage. you see, i never learned how to use the SNOOZE button, but instead i tend to switch the alarm to OFF. i've tried putting alarms across the room, but i have a tiny room and takes for about one pace to shut it off, then back to bed.what sort of alarm clock do you live by?what are your methods of waking up?let's hear stories.in HS my mom would spray me with a water bottle if i didn't wake up.my friend hipped me to this:http://www.media.mit.edu/press/clocky/

Comments

• Clocky is an academic research project and is not commercially available at this time.

sounds like a good idea to me

• This is a fantastic question. I use 3 alarm clocks and STILL can't seem to wake up in a timely manner.

Herm

• fucking Mexicans.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i got my shit down to a science...

4 alarm clocks and roughly 30mins of snooze time.

1. start with a cd alarm playing various "blazing down tempo" or 'wimpy crybaby quiet' music. this alarm is about 10 feet from my bed, but becuase of the pleasant sound i only partially wake up.
    2.then the alarm next to my bed goes off 15mins later, annoying but easy to hit snooze.
    3.then the cd alarm switches to alarm #2, a very annoying buzz that requires me to get up and hit snooze/turn off.
    4.at last, my cell phone alarm goes off a few minutes later.

that being said, i envy folks who just "wake up". my girl does it without a problem. my snoozing also forces me to have shit lined up the next morning. clothes must be ironed, etc, becuase i know exactly how late i can wake up and still make it to work on time.

i do think living in nyc has kinda screwed my waking up schedule though. i can sleep through loud sounds (trains and gunshots) better than i ever could before.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    but obviously it's set to CPT (that's "colored people's time" for those not knowing)

• I have two methods -- neither of which is very effective:

1) Drink a few glasses of water before bedtime. You may wake up right at 730 feeling alert and in pain, or you may wake up at five and in pain, then refresh yourself and feel so good you sleep until 1130.

2) Stay up all night before the day. This works the best and ive found that Im a little less inhibeted when sleep deprived. Ive also had some killer mystical experiences. The only problem is you cant do this for more than a few days in a row.

Alarms dont do shit. Ive snoozed an alarm from 330 am until 1pm.

• i just have mine on the other side of the room
    so my fat ass must rise to turn it off

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i got my shit down to a science...

Dude, 5 alarm clocks going off for an hour is not a science.

• I have a clock radio that my iPod docks in. Go to sleep listening to music, wake up listening to music (unless the baby wakes me up first)....

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I havent needed an alarm clock in years, thanks to this:

I dont remember what it's like to sleep past 8AM. Real parents know the deal...

• i use my phone. electric relaxation by atcq blares at me every morning so i hop right up. And if i hit snooze on it it plays that shit 5 minutes later. Its real annoying.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    been sleeping on my boy's couch for the last month, and my phone alarm doesnt work.

the only thing gettting me up has been my laptop:

http://www.robbiehanson.com/alarmclock/

so hot. can set any music from itunes to wake you up, set multiple times for different days of the week. AND it wakes up my laptop from sleep.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    the girl who invented clocky... smart and cute =

• the only thing gettting me up has been my laptop:
    http://www.robbiehanson.com/alarmclock/

WHOA! that's what's up!!! thank you very much. i'm always using my laptop and sometimes tend to fall asleep with it (yescomputerlove).

thanks again!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    get this and you will be spooning with your laptop

http://martindavidsson.blogspot.com/2005/09/dashboard-sleep-widget.html

• HOLLA!

"sweet nothings" b/w "pillow talk"

thanks again homie.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I hate waking up.

I need clocky in my life.

• The ultimate alarm clock. Course, you can't set the damn thing.

• The ultimate alarm clock. Course, you can't set the damn thing.

I prefer an alarm clock that won't cost me a few thousand dollars a year or spit up on me, and that I can leave alone at home when I go out.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    all said an done this is my fav alarm clock:

unfortunatly, its not very affordable in ny shity

• all said an done this is my fav alarm clock:

unfortunatly, its not very affordable in ny shity

That's my reverse alarm clock; that's what tells me when it's time to go to bed!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the sound of my alarm clock(which ive had since jr high) makes me panic and get anxious when i hear it.

nowadays i wake up way before the alarm goes off, thank god. so i dont have to hear that godawful beeping.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I built an obstacle course from my bed to my alarm clock on the other side of the room, only way it still works for me. Most times I hit my toe on some crate of records that's part of the course, that really wakes me up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

or