Time Capsule-strut Jon Stewart after 9/11

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Been feeling pretty political today and I thought this would be something that many of you may find worthwhile to watch. The date on this is unclear but i'd guess it to be less than a week after 9/11/2001. Jon Stewarts words reflected Americas hope and the last time our country came close to having a prideful feeling in ourselves and overcoming obstacles.To me, it was a real mind fuck to see this and know the attitudes many amaericans carry today, not to mention many foreigners carry about Americans. In the end I really did find this to be touching and it gave me a sense of why I am proud to be a citizen of this countryenjoy

Comments

• Thanks for posting that dude. Real talk and real emotion right there...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Amen.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Thanks for posting that Adam. Real talk and real emotion right there...

• To me, it was a real mind fuck to see this and know the attitudes many amaericans carry today, not to mention many foreigners carry about Americans.

What do you mean?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I love John Stewart and I can appreciate most of what he's saying. And if I were living that close in NY, it would definitely change my idealistic views of how the world should be. But I still can't get with the "Us against them" mentality.

Can I ask yall a stupid question? When was this country ever delegated to spread democracy and all its beliefs to other countries?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

To me, it was a real mind fuck to see this and know the attitudes many amaericans carry today, not to mention many foreigners carry about Americans.

What do you mean?

IMHO, in the weeks immediately after 9/11 (and before the Iraqi war) Americans seemed not to have such a bipartisan divide. not everything was so liberal/ neocon the way it is today. There wasn't unexplainable war to divide opinion. there was sentiment that the Taliban was protecting Osama, Osama had orchestrated these attacks, they had hit american soul, killed thousands of American civilians, and as a byproduct, shown that americans can help themselves and not-crumble (no pun intended) in times of trouble. the FDNY, the NYPD, the red corss none of these groups were villians on 9/11 and the weeks after. Donations and praise were being delivered as opposed to criticism and negativity.

Jon Stewarts monologue showed just how personal an attack this was; this wasn't some "they got us over there" type stuff, this was "I look out my window and things are physically different".

Not to overstate what I feel is the obvious, but the US really fucked up in this sentiment by attacking countries not involved, and giving a political "fuck you" to anyone not with us. Therefore dividing US citizens feelings about the current political landscape as well as those of people in other countries.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Can I ask yall a stupid question? When was this country ever delegated to spread democracy and all its beliefs to other countries?

Yes and no,

The Truman & Bush doctrines both were about fighting the ideals of others not in America.

Before that there was Manifest destiny and White mans burden which gave the US the self appointed right to spread our ways to non US lands.