SS approved collection size

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
So, what's the correct number of records to have and adore?I'll go with 3000. ?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Way too many...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I'll go with 1600, but looks like 3000 if you trim your pubes.

• Id say at least one large expedit full.
    Or so many that everytime you move, all of your friends refuse to help you move because of all your records.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'll go with 1600, but looks like 3000 if you trim your pubes.

spoken like a true veteran.

I think its time for a update on the diggers roll call

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    depends:

LP Collector: 500-750 (4x4 expedite)

45 Collector: 300-500 (8-12 45 carrying boxes)

both of those are large numbers but i think that is a good amount for any collector whether youre deep or not.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    did someone get to the point where you consider your collection done? As in, no records in, no records out? Or should a collection be always consider as a dinamic thing?

I'm in a record insight phase.

• 2000 records
    750 45's

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    1000, no filler.

• Or should a collection be always consider as a dinamic thing?

This would be me - no use hanging on to records that you aren't "you" anymore. Some stuff is functions as a stepping stone to the records you end up keeping imho.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    did someone get to the point where you consider your collection done? As in, no records in, no records out? Or should a collection be always consider as a dinamic thing?

I'm in a record insight phase.

one's record collection should flow like the ganges: bathe yourself in it's splendor, then bounce..

but 1200-1500 is a decent number just as long as 10%-15% is braek pfft.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Acording to these calculations I need to sell a few records. Could be alterior motives here. Justin might be trying to get Strutters to sell off their collections.

• So, what's the correct number of records to have and adore?

I'll go with 3000.

?

It's not quantity it's quality that counts. I'd always prefer a decent collection of a few hundred records than one of these "I try to collect every song in the world"

But I'd say 1000.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    500-1000...minty with no terds.

Would those percentages be maximums or minimums?

• manifest destiny. as much as there is room for. and then a little more.

• At a certain point you just realize "wow I haven't listened to this record, nor will I, in years."

And also you start realizing that certain records, you see over and over again... and if you ever want them you can get them.

A lot of people act like they'll never see a record ever again. That shit is a disorder.

For me, 500-1000 is plenty.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

that's one of my points: today's terds could be tomorrow's facemelters and viceversa.

Some stuff is functions as a stepping stone to the records you end up keeping imho.

A good way to think of it.

I currently own maybe 30% of the records that have passed through my hands, and that's without ever having been a dealer, even an amateur eBay one.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I have about 600 LP's I consider my "collection"

On a side note you guys really let me down....

I bet my buddy that within 10 minutes of this thread appearing there would be another thread titled "SS Approved Erection Size"

Y'all are slipping.

A lot of people act like they'll never see a record ever again. That shit is a disorder.

These would be the dudes posting about $20 records in the "Records You Regret Passing Up" threads.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    The number is pointless.

Unless of course...

ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

that's one of my points: today's terds could be tomorrow's facemelters and viceversa.
    i hear ya but its all perspective. my collection grows a little bit then i get rid of some things then it grows again...etc. but i always keep it solid. tastes change and all that but terds are terds...no lame filler in my collection to fluff up the number.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

i hear ya but its all perspective. my collection grows a little bit then i get rid of some things then it grows again...etc. but i always keep it solid. tastes change and all that but terds are terds...no lame filler in my collection to fluff up the number.
    hmmm... i guess what i'm trying to say is hold on to what you like and let go of the things you don't care for. having a large collection doesn't mean a thing if the music sucks/you don't listen to it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Would those percentages be maximums or minimums?

maximums. but only to cover the instance where milt jackson's sunflower becomes the definitive version of "people make the world go 'round"

• I'll go with 80 gigs.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah but if you dj or produce and you are in it for life you keep buyin stuff as long as you have the room for it or if you "need "it
    can"ever have enough loud open drums or funk 45s or rare world heat/rare heat

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I have 5 separate 2000 piece collections to fit the lifestyle I am faking that month.

I have the space and the money. Ok, I don't have the money. But I amassed 60% while working at record store and the 30% pulling/flipping whole collections ~monthly for years in DC. I shelled out for the remaining 10%.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    shadow says 60,000

• You should have as many records as you want and can afford comfortably.

• Should "SS approved collection size" include records predominantly used for deejaying? If not a few hundred records is fine.