drumless funk, is there such a thing?

shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
plaese to post audio.

Comments

• there's got to be some ivy league glee club record out there with a "shaft" cover on it...

• will have to post clips later, but two things come to mind...Ellen Mcillwaine "higher ground" and various tunes from The Pair Extrodinaire.

• there's got to be some ivy league glee club record out there with a "shaft" cover on it...

"QUALITY[/b] drumless funk, is there such a thing?"

• Several songs on the new Coup record have either no bass drum or no snare drum, and still knock hard.
    Also, the beginings of Darondo- Treat You Right (or is it called Didn't I?) and Eddie Kendricks- Intimate Friends

• Several songs on the new Coup record have either no bass drum or no snare drum

Right. I was actually gonna do a post about 'damn near drumless hip hop joints'. You've gotta have juice to pull that off nicely.

You know like ' Please listen to my demo' with barely a real light snare or RZA's 'Hollow Bones'.

accapella rhymes don't count.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• that's exactly what i was looking for! anyone else?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I got several nice funk tunes without drums. but since record day is over and since soulstrut was down yesterday, i won't post any mp3s...

• will have to post clips later, but two things come to mind...Ellen Mcillwaine "higher ground" and various tunes from The Pair Extrodinaire.

Unless they did some 70's records I don't know about, the Pair Extraordinaire (a singer and an upright bass player) are slightly too early to be called "funk." "Soul?" Possibly, if they weren't so loungey.

• ...Ellen Mcillwaine

Unless they did some 70's records I don't know about, the Pair Extraordinaire (a singer and an upright bass player) are slightly too early to be called "funk." "Soul?" Possibly, if they weren't so loungey.

(And come to think of it, sometimes they had Earl Palmer playing drums.)

(This board still have an "edit" function, or are we forced to quote ourselves now?)

(And come to think of it, sometimes they had Earl Palmer playing drums.)

(This board still have an "edit" function, or are we forced to quote ourselves now?)

I dont know, they dig in pretty deep on some tunes, gets my head a noddin'...like on "come back to me", but "funk" is one of the most subjective descriptions when it comes to music...next to "psych" of course

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    ...Ellen Mcillwaine

yeah, she gets pretty darn funky on an acoustic guitar.

• I have a couple of singles by Johnny Love & the Amethyst Garnets. Both of these are soul-blues 45's that have full band instrumentation, but no drummer. I wouldn't call these funk, exactly, but because some rare-groove collectors seem to lump all 60's/70's soul records together***...

***(HOOKUP: NOT A REFERENCE TO YOU!) [/b]