plaese to recommend some speakeasy style ish (?)

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
So this event I'm doing this weekend is a new club where the building used to be a prohibition era speakeasy club, and I just found out today that they want me to sprinkle music from that era throughout the night into my set. I don't even know where to start really. They mentioned brat pack stuff. I don't know. Plaese to knowledge me and/or drop a couple mptrees. Thanks in advance fam...

Comments

• play the sound track from this

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    They mentioned brat pack stuff.

surely you mean "Rat Pack"?

ie. Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr....

i'd play Charlie Christian, but that's just me...

• They mentioned brat pack stuff.

surely you mean "Rat Pack"?

ie. Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr....

agreed, I'm sure they meant "Rat Pack" as well...

I would also sprinkle in some of the older big band classic's:

Glen Miller - In The Mood
    Benny Goodman - Sing-Sing-Sing
    Duke Ellington - take the A train

I don't know how to search for mp3's but I have heard people play remixes of said tunes which might fit a bit easier into your set.

I usually play the og's at my New Year's gig, the blue hairs love that shit.

-B-

• The prohibition era: 1920-1933

The Rat Pack: 1950's

[coselmed]*smirk*[/coselmend]

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    While P*trick beat me to the "correcting," a good one is: Cab Calloway.
    Flibbity Jibbit
    T.N.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Download some vocal snippets from the Simpsons episode where prohibition comes to Springfield and Homer becomes the Beer Baron, sprinkle said quotes throughout your set, and you will be a god among men.

• surely you mean "Rat Pack"?

sooo right now, I meant rat pack of course!

Glen Miller - In The Mood

I don't know how to search for mp3's but I have heard people play remixes of said tunes which might fit a bit easier into your set.

Any chance you could direct me towards said remixes por favor?

• The prohibition era: 1920-1933

The Rat Pack: 1950's

The Brat Pack: 1980's[/b]

just simply agreeing that said promoter was probably referring to Francis Albert Sinatra & Company versus the Psychedelic Furs...

I haven't heard it, but is there any Speakeasy/Hip-Hopish shit in that new Outcast movie ?

might be worth checking...

• Glen Miller - In The Mood

Any chance you could direct me towards said remixes por favor?

I wish I could, like I said I play the old versions but have heard people play the remixes out. Somebody a little more MP3 savy could maybe hook you up, use those titles to base the search on ???

• earl hines (very appreciated by the capone family)
    cab calloway
    babs gonzales
    fats waller
    jelly roll morton (well know for being a pimp)
    chick webb
    bix beiderbecke

• earl hines (very appreciated by the capone family)
    cab calloway
    babs gonzales
    fats waller
    jelly roll morton (well know for being a pimp)
    chick webb
    bix beiderbecke

This is what you need. Glenn Miller, Rat Pack and all the rest are wrong era. Jelly Roll Morton's 'Dr Jazz' is a great song, supposedly about coke. Morton was a serious muhfugger.

• Thank you much peoples. Any mptrees would be very appreciated as well. Please believe, I will return the favor. Oh yes.

• Thank you much peoples. Any mptrees would be very appreciated as well. Please believe, I will return the favor. Oh yes.

WHAT HAPPENS AT THE SPEAKEASY STAYS IN THE SPEAKEASY

B/W

MORSE...HOOOOOOO...HE GOT ROOM KEYS!

• Nat I'm pretty sure you can find some budget pressings of this stuff in Amoeba's cheapo jazz bins.

• Not to threadjack, Mr. Code, but I really hate when bookers/owners pull this shit. They clearly have no idea what they're talking about (as evidenced by their lumping together of the speakeasy and rat pack eras), yet they wanna handcuff you, the DJ, with their bullshit ideas about what they think will work musically. [My new favorite: the mis-use of the already much maligned term mash-up when telling the DJ what their crowd wants to hear.] Their job is to order more kegs of Anchor Steam and make sure they have enough tiny drink napkins, not to be DJs.

Good luck finding those tracks--and God Bless Microwave--but I guarantee you that the crowd will be happier if you substitute a Timberlake track for every "speakeasy/rat pack" song. But if you're forced to sprinkle in some of that stuff, you could easily play Lou Bega's "Mambo Number 5" (PM Dizzy Bull! ) and no one would know the difference.

• Jelly Roll Morton's 'Dr Jazz' is a great song

• It does beg the question, did any Brat Pack members record any heat?

Yo, you got that Andrew McCarthy jawn?

• Not to threadjack, Mr. Code, but I really hate when bookers/owners pull this shit. They clearly have no idea what they're talking about (as evidenced by their lumping together of the speakeasy and rat pack eras), yet they wanna handcuff you, the DJ, with their bullshit ideas about what they think will work musically. [My new favorite: the mis-use of the already much maligned term mash-up when telling the DJ what their crowd wants to hear.] Their job is to order more kegs of Anchor Steam and make sure they have enough tiny drink napkins, not to be DJs.

Good luck finding those tracks--and God Bless Microwave--but I guarantee you that the crowd will be happier if you substitute a Timberlake track for every "speakeasy/rat pack" song. But if you're forced to sprinkle in some of that stuff, you could easily play Lou Bega's "Mambo Number 5" (PM Dizzy Bull! ) and no one would know the difference.

hahaha, YES! I was wondering right off the bat what the fuck dude was talking about with the lumping of rat pack and speakeasy.
    But that's not even the worst part. Dude is like "The owner is VERY hands on. He's gonna be standing right next to you throughout the night, suggesting various directions for you to take it in." My response: "Great!" killmenowplease

• "The owner is VERY hands on. He's gonna be standing right next to you throughout the night, suggesting various directions for you to take it in."

Holy shit!

Here's my advice: follow every one of his suggestions to the letter, and do so immediately. He'll quickly learn what it's like to clear the dancefloor. Don't give him any of your artistic back talk ("Okay, but I just need to build up to a higher tempo first.") Just drop it like it's

BTW: You're right: I (still) need Hard Crack Candy! PM with your PayPal info.