Your Local HIV Testing Experience...

RafaelRafael 120 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
So I have been having some problems with my ankles, knees and hips... real bad soreness that makes walking difficult for the last two weeks... I remember waking up and seeing like fifty insect bites on my ankles so I just knew that I caught West Nile Virus from some mosquito... So since it was a Saturday and I never really chose a primary care doctor I hit the clinic... I tell her my issues and she says that she is going to order some bloodwork... when her and I are alone, she asks if I'm married, I say yes... she asks are you faithful, I say yes... but I'm freaking because I'm thinking shes implying that the problems that I am having could be HIV related... So all weekend I'm sweating because I really dont know much about HIV... I have not been with a woman who was not my wife since 1998... could you carry HIV undetected that long? Well yesterday she called and said that my blodd looked normal and I asked her about the HIV thing and she says she didnt test for it! I'm like I worried all weekend about that and you didnt test for it... anyway as of yet I do not know what my problem is but I do have a difference in my leg lengths and several weeks ago I started using a lift for the inside of my shoe. When my legs started hurting I stopped and I think that my legs are readjusting to the difference again... I read that West Nile can be fought off by your body so it may be gone if I ever even had it... anyway I'm popping 800 mg Motrin one a day now. I've always felt that since my wife has HIV testing along with her "wellness" visits and that my children were tested when they were born that there is no need for me to test since I do not have sex outside of my marraige. Is that a right assumption?

Comments

• Have you ever had a blood transfusion or received plasma?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I've always felt that since my wife has HIV testing along with her "wellness" visits and that my children were tested when they were born that there is no need for me to test since I do not have sex outside of my marraige. Is that a right assumption?

never assume.

not to be curt or mean but you should get tested cause although you know you've been faithful you never can fully tell if others have been over that 8 year period.

and yes HIV can be dormant in your system for a long time. It's recommended by most doctors that you get tested twice a year

In the end, for your own well being and stress its best to know difinitively that you are HIV neg

• Have you ever had a blood transfusion or received plasma?

no sir

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    *a*,

I can identify with the raw anxiety of having bloodwork done and the doctor wanting to go ahead and test for ("please don't ask, please don't ask - f*ck ") everything. Waiting for results is one of the most nerveracking experiences I have ever had. But, your soul will rest much better knowing that everything is cool, and that goes for anyone else reading this thread with sweaty palms.

Please do yourselves a solid and get tested.

There's no better feeling than crossing that off the worry list.

• Well if what Guzzo is saying is true Drew and it can be dormant in your body for 8 years than its a life long worry!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Well if what Guzzo is saying is true Drew and it can be dormant in your body for 8 years than its a life long worry!

I don't know how long it can stay dormant in your body but just to be safe I get tested bi-annually

many places will do it for free. Out here in LA we even got a thrift store that will give you an HIV test...and condoms

• These types of questions are standard. They may or should have asked you if you've had anal sex, gotten a tattoo, etc. I make it a habit to get tested after almost every girlfriend just to be sure. I'm probably not doing myself any good because I've heard it doesn't show on tests for the first 6 months after catching it.

• Got tested earlier this year and can say that it was both nerve racking and a huge relief to find out that i'm good. Not that i run around or anything. Only did it once without a condom, ever, but still you gotta be sure. i was given the option when getting some bloodwork done right around the time i got together with my lady, so i figured there was definitely no better time. More than anything it's nice to know where i stand and know that i'm not paying dearly for one dumb mistake.