Looks like Mary's next album will be a blinder.

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• Schadenfreude[/b] [German]: pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune; malicious glee or gloating.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Schadenfreude[/b] [German]: pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune; malicious glee or gloating.

Did it really come over like that? I knew I should have added a graemlin. My bad.

Personally, I'd like her to be happy - she seems to have had a rough ride from the men in her life - but a big chunk of her fanbase seems to prefer her when she sings her/their pain. Sad but true.

• Not at all, Doc. I was expressing a bit of my own Schadenfreude, as her best work has always come from her saddest places. Okay, except for "You Bring Me Joy," but that's a bit of an anomaly.

Many of her songs have a surface appearance of being upful, but a closer listen reveals her trademark sadness. "Be Happy" isn't about being happy; it's about how happiness has always eluded her. And "I Love You"--one of my favorites--is incredibly bittersweet.

So yeah, dump Kendu and return to form! And please don't ever rap again.

Not at all, Doc. I was expressing a bit of my own Schadenfreude, as her best work has always come from her saddest places. Okay, except for "You Bring Me Joy," but that's a bit of an anomaly.

Many of her songs have a surface appearance of being upful, but a closer listen reveals her trademark sadness. "Be Happy" isn't about being happy; it's about how happiness has always eluded her. And "I Love You"--one of my favorites--is incredibly bittersweet.

If anyone could do an r&b "Tonight's The Night", it's Mary.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    not for nothing, but mediatakeout.com is not the most trusted entertainment news website. Most shows I've worked on wll not accept them as a real source.

fun read though

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Am I the only one that thought Kendu was no good from jump? He came across as manipulative as hell in their joint interviews.

• So yeah, dump Kendu and return to form! And please don't ever rap again.

Am I the only one that thought Kendu was no good from jump? He came across as manipulative as hell in their joint interviews.

A quick read between the lines reveals your true sentiments:

Mary, drop Mr. Kendu and get with Mr. Can-Do (Esquire)!

• So yeah, dump Kendu and return to form! And please don't ever rap again.

A quick read between the lines reveals your true sentiments:

Mary, drop Mr. Kendu and get with Mr. Can-Do (Esquire)!

I almost jumped out of my seat!

Yes Faux you need to holler.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i'm tired of Mary's Misery ......Even when she makes a "Breakthrough" the shit is whiny

It's Keyshia Cole's world now .....Plaese to retire Mary

• i'm tired of Mary's Misery ......Even when she makes a "Breakthrough" the shit is whiny

She's been beating this stump for a minute. I wish she would change her fuckin subject matter. Haven't her fans grown the hell up already.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Haven't her fans grown the hell up already.

YES !

and NOBODY ...especially grown women (in their 30's & 40's now) with their own problems wants to hear a millionaire whine & bitch & complain for 10+ years .....

she's done

Haven't her fans grown the hell up already.

YES !

and NOBODY ...especially grown women (in their 30's & 40's now) with their own problems wants to hear a millionaire whine & bitch & complain for 10+ years .....

she's done

Oh, I dunno. "The Breakthrough" has done 1.6m in the US this year alone, so somebody's listening. It might be a little early to stick a fork in her. Besides, millionaire or not, her baby still done did her wrong, and that's something anyone can relate to.

• It might be a little early to stick a fork in her. Besides, millionaire or not, her baby still done did her wrong, and that's something anyone can relate to.

I wouldnt say she done at all. Did her husband get called for a foul? I though her marriage was her "rebirth"? Whatever, I just wish she'd get on some Dee Dee Brigdewater shit and experiment. Get outside the Essence magazine editorial Box. Take the sisters away from the mirror just for one album, pleez. Singing w/ U2 might be a "good" sign.

It might be a little early to stick a fork in her. Besides, millionaire or not, her baby still done did her wrong, and that's something anyone can relate to.

I wouldnt say she done at all. Did her husband get called for a foul? I though her marriage was her "rebirth"? Whatever, I just wish she'd get on some Dee Dee Brigdewater shit and experiment. Get outside the Essence magazine editorial Box. Take the sisters away from the mirror just for one album, pleez. Singing w/ U2 might be a "good" sign.

I must be the only person I know who liked that U2 cover. I thought she sang the shit out of it, and there was some award show (Grammys, maybe?) where she performed it with U2, and completely sonned them on their own song.

I've said it on here a few times, but what I'd like to hear her do next is just sing songs. Do a covers album; some soul classics, or even rock classics. With the right choice of material, something like that would be

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I think she has a better voice than the one she sings with. She puts that "Grain" into it because it's what she's known for, but she lets it drop for a split second now and then and you can hear there is a "Clean" voice underneath it that is just not being taxed.

I guess in terms of product, she's just toeing the line. Same as before sells.

I think her cover of "As" was great - I'd love to see her singing standards.

That reminds me, didn't Bjork do a standards set? Any good?

That's what I keep telling these little dudes.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

That's what I keep telling these little dudes.

Well, if pain begets great artistry...

Ain't none'a ya'll ready.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I hate the U2 cover, but straight up that new Mary album is one of her best. She sounds really satisfied on it, and it works. Its the MATURE album she's been trying to make for a while, and finally pulled through (see also: upcoming Lionel Richie (hopefully), last year's Mariah.)

This thread makes no sense. To whit:

1. "I'm glad Mary is getting divorced because her music is better when she's sad"
    2. "Her sad music schtick is tired..."
    3. "...but when she sounded happy i thought it sounded sad..."
    4. "therefore i hate her and anything she could possibly make because i haven't really given a shit since "My Life""
    5. "I'm really old"

Actually the 'you're old' jab isn't even fair, because i know older people who like the new mary j too.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Keyshia Cole is definitely great, although that "Love" song was pretty awful, her voice was garbage at those peaks. "I Could Have Cheated" was incredible, saw that on TV too on Showtime at the Apollo and I was like

• This thread makes no sense. To whit:

6. that "Love" song was pretty awful, her voice was garbage at those peaks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Lets be real, girl has an amazing emotive talent but her singing is pretty raw, and that can work against her. Like when her voice is cracking at the top of her range.

• That sentence would make a lot more sense if you were talking about Mary.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Huh??? If anything Mary's singing has become a lot more refined over the years. I mean I agree, neither of them are, like, Heather Headley or something (ps: HH's album's boring but "In My Mind" is a great song) but I don't think Keyshia's got any technical skills over Mary at all. She sounds younger, yeah, and she's doing a great job of doing what Mary did ages ago, but Breakthrough doesn't sound anything like Keyshia's album, and its better for it. They're good as a point of comparison only if you're talking about early Mary J, the way i see it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Lets be real, girl has an amazing emotive talent but her singing is pretty raw, and that can work against her. Like when her voice is cracking at the top of her range.

Did u see her perform LOVE live on one of these recent award shows? She st8 up cant sing. But I love LOVE. The album is ehhh. Mary's last one is better than that shit. Her joint w/ Sean Paul is trash as well. She gets over on attitude and booty.

Huh??? If anything Mary's singing has become a lot more refined over the years. I mean I agree, neither of them are, like, Heather Headley or something (ps: HH's album's boring but "In My Mind" is a great song) but I don't think Keyshia's got any technical skills over Mary at all. She sounds younger, yeah, and she's doing a great job of doing what Mary did ages ago, but Breakthrough doesn't sound anything like Keyshia's album, and its better for it. They're good as a point of comparison only if you're talking about early Mary J, the way i see it.

Deej is magnetically attracted to Mary J threads...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Faux Rillz is magnetically attracted to clowning people on the internet.

Faux Rillz is magnetically attracted to clowning people on the internet.

Tepid

Although I'm sure that just as surely as when I saw the thread title and thought to myself, "deej is sure to be up in there talking some foolishness," other people extrapolated further and thought "faux_rillz is sure to be up in there beatin' on deej like the stepson that he is"

• "faux_rillz is sure to be up in there beatin' on deej like the stepson that he is"

Where I'm from, the phrase is "beat him like a redheaded stepchild."

Funny that a genetic trait like red hair could be passed to a stepson, but hey, it's a brave new world.

And deej, I would very much like to know when you first heard Mary's "My Life" album.

"faux_rillz is sure to be up in there beatin' on deej like the stepson that he is"

Where I'm from, the phrase is "beat him like a redheaded stepchild."

Funny that a genetic trait like red hair could be passed to a stepson, but hey, it's a brave new world.

And deej, I would very much like to know when you first heard Mary's "My Life" album.

Oh, good - I can just sit back and enjoy this now...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Oh fairly recently, maybe 4-5 years ago the first time (as an album, i knew her remember her on the radio since 'real love')? I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove except "cuz I was THERE, maaaan" that folks also use to argue Kool Moe Dee >>> T.I. (or 'whatever golden age when I came up' >>> 'golden age when you came up')

Its not like I'm alone in liking the new mary j! check soundscan + critical acclaim.