The Last King of Scotland, thoughts?

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Just saw a preview for this last night.Story looks pretty interesting, but the way they shot it or at least the way they assembled the tralier makes it look pretty intense. It kinda looks like they used different filters to bring out or trap in the colors.This isn't the kind of movie i normally check for, but i think i am gonna hop on this when it comes out. Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin looks

Comments

• Is Keb Darge in it?

• i saw the preview when i went to see "little miss sunshine" which i recomend.

forest whitaker is probably in my top 5 for favorite actors and dude landed a pretty ill roll here so i gotta check this out. and like dr.joel said i don't check for movies like these but being familiar w/ the story and it starring whitaker i cant resist.

peace,xavier

• This movie looks great; a seriously good role for Whittaker. He's a good actor, but he keeps on getting these parts, even if they're starring roles they don't let him act. Like panic room????

Just watched the preview now, check for it at

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thelastkingofscotland/

Bonus (and RR): ghana funk in the background of the trailer.

• I for one wanna see it, looks good...Good part for whitaker...liked the trailer.

and speaking of top shelf movies, "Beerfest"!!!!!!!!!!! teary eyed laughter coming from this dude, funny funny shit...

• For anyone in NYC who wants to catch it in advance, there's a special preview screening this Sunday at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria. Forest Whitaker, James McAvoy, and the director Kevin Macdonald will be in attendance. I assume there will be a Q&A after.

• Is Keb Darge in it?

KD had to turn down the role because he is trying to set up time to look at a collection and make a house call to that DJ....what's his name? The guy that everybody loves in Japan...he bought records from him once but wants to go back for more.

Also saw the preview before Little Miss Sunshine, had to go a 2nd time with some friends that hadn't seen it.

• I was kind of mad when I saw the preview, I thought whittaker would be a kilt-wearing clansman but this makes a little more sense.

• I got to see a rough cut of the film last winter with my sister, who has a minor role in the film. Not all the music was scored yet, and a few sentences of dialogue were voiced over by the director and his assistant, but the essence of the film still came through. It's a good movie with some very memorable scenes, and a great soundtrack. My biggest complaint was the rather uninspired and predictable performance of Whittaker's male co-lead.

• I got to see a rough cut of the film last winter with my sister, who has a minor role in the film. Not all the music was scored yet, and a few sentences of dialogue were voiced over by the director and his assistant, but the essence of the film still came through. It's a good movie with some very memorable scenes, and a great soundtrack. My biggest complaint was the rather uninspired and predictable performance of Whittaker's male co-lead.

Oh man, they made his side look anything but uninspired from the trailer. Thanks for the head's up.

Oh man, they made his side look anything but uninspired from the trailer. Thanks for the head's up.

Maybe uninspired is the wrong word, but I found his character to be fairly one-dimensional. I can't recall, however, whether it was the script or his acting that was at fault (though the former was generally quite strong). Still, the movie is definitely worth seeing. I'll probably shell out to see it theaters when it's officially released.