Rotary Connection - Appreciate this, you poptarts

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
I upgraded my copy today and, after not having it out in a few years, have been listening to it all evening.Is this on that list of unimpeachable SoulStrut classics? Seems like it should be.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's a 6 out of 10 to my ears.

• I upgraded my copy today and, after not having it out in a few years, have been listening to it all evening.

Is this on that list of unimpeachable SoulStrut classics? Seems like it should be.

I haven't listened to this in quite some time, but Black Gold of the Sun is classic material. I'd have to give the rest of the LP another spin.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You don't like one of the trippiest batches of baroque grooves that we've ever heard???

• It's a 6 out of 10 to my ears.

You don't like one of the trippiest batches of baroque grooves that we've ever heard???

Put on their songs LP and let me know what you think in comparison.

I'm afraid I gave my copy to the one Terry Clubbup awhile back. In truth, this is the only Rotary Connection LP that I've ever liked, probably because the trippy baroqueness and the baroque trippiness aren't so intrusive.

• It's a 6 out of 10 to my ears.

I'm afraid I gave my copy to the one Terry Clubbup awhile back. In truth, this is the only Rotary Connection LP that I've ever liked, probably because the trippy baroqueness and the baroque trippiness aren't so intrusive.

I'm more on the space cadet side of things, so trippiness is seldom intrusive unless I detect some trippy-exploito vibes (you have to make me belieeeeeve!). They've always seemed rather genuine about it though. Plus you have some 5 star production and incredible arrangements by that dude Charles.

Anyhow, it is September. It is getting chilly. I feel that Hey Love might fit the season nicely and win my favor.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I upgraded my copy today and, after not having it out in a few years, have been listening to it all evening.

Is this on that list of unimpeachable SoulStrut classics? Seems like it should be.

I haven't listened to this in quite some time, but Black Gold of the Sun is classic material. I'd have to give the rest of the LP another spin.

Does that mean that Nuyoriacan Soul covered 'black gold of the sun' originally by Rotary Connection? Or is it totally a different song?

I think that's the only Rotary Connection Lp I don't have.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Personally, I would place Songs above it, but
    [Reynaldo] Songs and Hey Love are their only albums which I have not purged.[/Reynaldo]

• I upgraded my copy today and, after not having it out in a few years, have been listening to it all evening.

Does that mean that Nuyoriacan Soul covered 'black gold of the sun' originally by Rotary Connection? Or is it totally a different song?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Does that mean that Nuyoriacan Soul covered 'black gold of the sun' originally by Rotary Connection?

Yes.

Or is it totally a different song?

So...no.

And, why not?

b/w Charles Stepney was a genius.

Well Drewn, if you then I best stop sleepin'.

Thanks for the My girl LOVES the Nu-Yorican Soul number so she will be well keen to check out the original version too.

• Don't sleep on Song for Everyman... the "other" dope track on that record.

The Nuyorican Soul remix of Black Gold in the Sun is nice because it gets rid of the iffy male vocals.

I haven't pulled this record out in a while... I might have to now. Thanks for the reminder

my copy today and, after not having it out in a few years, have been listening to it all evening.

So, as of now I am officially looking for a copy of this record.

What you doing with your old copy of this Faux, and how rough is it, condition wise?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Don't sleep on Song for Everyman... the "other" dope track on that record.

The Nuyorican Soul remix of Black Gold in the Sun is nice because it gets rid of the iffy male vocals.

I haven't pulled this record out in a while... I might have to now. Thanks for the reminder

See I on the other hand love the male vocals in the original, particularly the part where he goes for it about the mountain sun or something like that. Adds to the epic nature of the music.

Hey Love is a good album but I love the covers on Songs, particularly Respect.

• Songs>Hey Love

Black Gold Of The Sun>the rest of Rotary Connection's catalog.

Both are great albums though, I love me some baroque trippiness that was tough to turn up even back when we first started digging!!!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Charles Stepney was a genius.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I really can't get enough of his production sound.

• Songs is probably my favourite but I like them all. One that gets dismissed is Dinner Music but the tracks Amuse and Want You To Know are lovely, especially the way the latter track steadily builds.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Songs>Hey Love

Black Gold Of The Sun>the rest of Rotary Connection's catalog.

that just about sums it up. I do have a soft spot for "respect" though, it hits me right there....

the 4 hero rmx of the nuyorican soul is their best remix ever, hands down.

• new thread sequel offa this one

Cadet head to head

Charles Stepney V. Richard Evans

I pick Mr. Evans.

now go to the appropriate thread and cast your vote and/or aspersions

Songs>Hey Love

What are you, some kind of rockist?

Actually, I can see how somebody might feel that way, but being the closest thing they ever cut to a conventional soul LP (though still not all that conventional), Hey Love is the one for me.

my copy today and, after not having it out in a few years, have been listening to it all evening.

So, as of now I am officially looking for a copy of this record.

What you doing with your old copy of this Faux, and how rough is it, condition wise?

Pretty rough... and I already promised it to somebody, I'm afraid.

You can get a nice one for $25 or $30 without a problem, though.

• See I on the other hand love the male vocals in the original, particularly the part where he goes for it about the mountain sun or something like that. Adds to the epic nature of the music.

• I found a reissue of this with a different cover for $5.

• Songs>Hey Love

Actually, I can see how somebody might feel that way, but being the closest thing they ever cut to a conventional soul LP (though still not all that conventional), Hey Love is the one for me.

It's just a much more remarkable album. I don't really peg that group for Conventional Soul, if I wanted that I'd listen to a number of other Chicagoans before I got to Rotary Connection.

I know this flies in the face of all you hold dear, but you might want to listen to the record before passing judgement...

Songs>Hey Love

It's just a much more remarkable album. I don't really peg that group for Conventional Soul, if I wanted that I'd listen to a number of other Chicagoans before I got to Rotary Connection.

Obviously.

Did I not say that it wasn't a conventional soul record at all, though?

I guess what I'm saying is that it appeals to me because soul is more clearly the starting point for it than any of their other albums.

I'll revisit Songs one of these days, although I'm certain that before I let my copy go, I listened to the two in succession and decided that Hey Love was definitely the one.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Much as you can tell a lot about where a person's at by whether they prefer the instrumental of "Cross Country" to the vocal, you can tell a lot by whether they prefer Songs to Hey Love. Songs is maybe the better record, has better texture, and is more accessible, but Hey Love has more heart, is more emotional, and is more essential--not "essential" in the sense of, "If you only own one Rotary Connection lp...", but "essential" as is "Of the fucking essence." There are lots of reasons--both superficial and substantial--to like Songs, as it provides many points of entry (BEATS! PSYCH! SOUL! COVERS! BEATY PSYCH SOUL COVERS!), but to get down with Hey Love, to be able to ride it out and be able to not prick up an ear at stuff like "And as you think / the sky turns pink...", you've pretty much gotta be on the bus--you've gotta have that patience, that commitment, that willing suspension of pretense, that openness. I mean, lines like "Hey, my busy friend / can you slow down?" exist only in a place where there is no cool. I probably listen to Songs more, but whenever I get around to Hey Love, I always find it more rewarding.

Much as you can tell a lot about where a person's at by whether they prefer the instrumental of "Cross Country" to the vocal, you can tell a lot by whether they prefer Songs to Hey Love. Songs is maybe the better record, has better texture, and is more accessible, but Hey Love has more heart, is more emotional, and is more essential--not "essential" in the sense of, "If you only own one Rotary Connection lp...", but "essential" as is "Of the fucking essence." There are lots of reasons--both superficial and substantial--to like Songs, as it provides many points of entry (BEATS! PSYCH! SOUL! COVERS! BEATY PSYCH SOUL COVERS!), but to get down with Hey Love, to be able to ride it out and be able to not prick up an ear at stuff like "And as you think / the sky turns pink...", you've pretty much gotta be on the bus--you've gotta have that patience, that commitment, that willing suspension of pretense, that openness. I mean, lines like "Hey, my busy friend / can you slow down?" exist only in a place where there is no cool. I probably listen to Songs more, but whenever I get around to Hey Love, I always find it more rewarding.

I am on the pink bus.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I am on the pink bus.

World's biggest (and I say that as a man not afraid to rock the pink Marc Jacobs sweater)

• Hi Doc.

James - PFFFFT.